+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re-Shafting...

Hybrid View

Pitching Wedge Vulcan is on a distinguished road

Re-Shafting...

Does anybody here have experience with Grafalloy Blue shafts.

I would like one installed in my Vulcan Driver but am interested in trying out the difference with spining or whatever you guys call it...

I have the Grafalloy shaft and the driver head already.

Anybody interested...?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Spining

Bring it on.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood cruxradio is on a distinguished road
    Grafalloy Blue (the non tour non pro launch) is tip stiff, low touque, and plays a full flex stronger than the it's given rating. Regular flex plays like Stiff, Stiff like X Stiff, etc.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Finding out

Best way to find out is to put it in a frequency analyser. Once I get my 454 gram tip weight for zone profiling I'll be able to tell if it's a tip stiff etc... For now I use the GS web site. They do shaft profiling on all their stock shafts.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by cruxradio
    Grafalloy Blue (the non tour non pro launch) is tip stiff, low touque, and plays a full flex stronger than the it's given rating. Regular flex plays like Stiff, Stiff like X Stiff, etc.
    This is not a criticism of the above statement, however, as there is no standard for what is "Regular," "Stiff," etc., it is not accurate to say that one flex plays "like" another. The weight of the head, length of the shaft, the orientation of the shaft, ie., placement of the spine, length of clamp, are factors that can increase or decrease the flex of a shaft. It is true that the Blues play stiffer than many shafts, but by how much?

Would it not be advantageous for all of us if the shaft manufacturers were to agree to have a standard difference of 10 cpm’s between flexes and to start each flex with the same reading? Royal Precision does this for their Rifle shafts. A 45” REGULAR driver, on their scale cpm’s at 233 while the same length STIFF shaft is 243 cpm. However, an SK Fiber Lite revolution REGULAR is 248 cpm’s and the STIFF is 264 cpm. Now, if the Graffaloy Blue shafts play even stiffer than the SK’s, imagine what their cpm readings will be. The FA that I have says that a “REGULAR” 45 inch club is 250 cpm.

The point is that when anyone looks at the label on the shaft to see what flex the shaft is, the probability that you are getting the flex that is indicated on the shaft, is impossible, because there are no standards. Comparing the flexes within one companies particular line, helps, but comparing one company’s “Blue” stiff to a UST stiff should not be done.

Let’s establish OttawaGolf flex standards, for a 45”, 200 g headed club, (driver), 5” clamp.
    “L” flex 230 cpm
    “A” flex 240 cpm
    “R” flex 250 cpm
    “S” flex 260 cpm
    “X” flex 270 cpm

There. That was easy. Now c’mon, Penley, UST , Graffaloy, Aldila, Accuflex, SK Fiber, etc.. Get with the programme.

Do you want a standard for a 38”, 255 g 5 iron, as well?

3 Wood cruxradio is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=BC MIST]This is not a criticism of the above statement, however, as there is no standard for what is "Regular," "Stiff," etc., it is not accurate to say that one flex plays "like" another. The weight of the head, length of the shaft, the orientation of the shaft, ie., placement of the spine, length of clamp, are factors that can increase or decrease the flex of a shaft. It is true that the Blues play stiffer than many shafts, but by how much?
    [QUOTE]

By ABOUT 1 full flex, or 10 cpm. Also this shaft is for hitters / quick transition swings.

The poster asked for details about the Blue shaft.. Basically didn't want to see him wasting effort/time/money having a club assembled if the shaft doesn't fit his swing.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=cruxradio It is true that the Blues play stiffer than many shafts, but by how much?
    [QUOTE]

By ABOUT 1 full flex, or 10 cpm. Perhaps I was not clear. Let's say we are comparing the Blue "R" to a Rifle "R" which is 233 cpm at 45 inches. That would make the Blue play "1 full flex, or 10 cpm" stiffer. So the Blue would be 243 cpm.

But if you compare the Blue to a my SK Fiber Lite Revolution "R" which is 248 cpm, then the Blue is 258 cpm, a flex and a half stiffer than when compared to the Rifle "R".
    That's why you can't compare the Blue to anything other than to maybe another Blue. We need a flex standard regardless of who manufactures a shaft.

Also this shaft is for hitters / quick transition swings. Agreed. Even though a swinger,(smooth transition) has the same swing speed as a hitter(fast transition), the hitter needs a "stiffer" shaft, that is, higher frequency AND higher torque.

The poster asked for details about the Blue shaft. Basically didn't want to see him wasting effort/time/money having a club assembled if the shaft doesn't fit his swing. Particularly the money.

Would it not be fantastic if the local retail stores had a frequency analyzer so that golfers would be able to find out what flex of shaft they are REALLY getting, instead of the one they THINK they are getting? An FA can be had for from $400 to $800.

Thread Information