100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

adding magnets to a putter for more weight

my friend was looking at adding weight to his ping blade but could add the 30g he needed to the head. one option was lead tape but it was to thick and when applied to the bottom it would make contact with the ground during putts when trying to hit the ball in the centre of the face. the other option was to remove the grip and pour sand down the shaft or something more dense. evetually he went with adding magnets t the head of the putter. on 10g magbeting weight to the toe, heal and centre. 3he magnets arent glued but are pretty strong and very difficult to move by accident... are all three options legal? obviously more interested in the magnets as that is what he decided to go with. he removes them when playing fast greens, removes the two side weights when playing a semi fast course, just the centre weight for semi slow and keeps all 3 weights when playing a really slow green course. &t seems to be working cause he is on fire !! just to be clear he makes all adjustments before the rounds and none durin gthe round... thanks

willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    not legal i believe, since not fixed, they are to easy to adjust during a round. they would have to be fixed, like lead tape

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    All parts of the club must be fixed so that the club is one unit, and it must have no external attachments.

All clubs may incorporate mechanisms for weight adjustment. Other forms of adjustability may also be permitted upon evaluation by the USGA. The following requirements apply to all permissible methods of adjustment:
    (i) the adjustment cannot be readily made;
    (ii) all adjustable parts are firmly fixed and there is no reasonable likelihood of them working loose during a round;

I suspect sand would come under both of the above. Magnets certainly would.

i don't see how lead take is fixed... it can easily be moved over slightly to create a more draw bias driver... although I completely agree and its what I would have thought
    willy

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    All parts of the club must be fixed so that the club is one unit, and it must have no external attachments.

All clubs may incorporate mechanisms for weight adjustment. Other forms of adjustability may also be permitted upon evaluation by the USGA. The following requirements apply to all permissible methods of adjustment:
    (i) the adjustment cannot be readily made;
    (ii) all adjustable parts are firmly fixed and there is no reasonable likelihood of them working loose during a round;

I suspect sand would come under both of the above. Magnets certainly would.
    Sorry the sand... the grip would be removed, poured into the shaft and then the grip re-installed. So the sand wouldn't be coming out...
    willy

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    But the grip could be removed and the sand content adjusted.
    I would be very doubtful about this. 'Readily' is pretty subjective. Filling it with cement might do the trick.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    But the grip could be removed and the sand content adjusted.
    I would be very doubtful about this. 'Readily' is pretty subjective. Filling it with cement might do the trick.
    I believe the rule only applies to adjustments made during a round. Removing the grip during the round and replacing it would be a neat trick . I think sand down the shaft would be fine, although lead powder and epoxy or something of the like would be a better choice.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Isn't adding lead shot in the shaft a common weighting technique for putters?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Lead powder, sand, etc down the shaft is common for putters.

It is typically held in place with a cork or epoxy to stop it from rattling. Definitely not the kind of things that would be considered adjustable.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sounds like that would conform for sure.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information