100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar

Putting and Short game.

Just putting this out there. (forgive the pun)

I was inconsistent with my putting and short game up until about three weeks ago.

I looked at a Golf Digest article (I cannot recall which is the month of issue but it had tiger woods standing with his hands on his hips on the cover) on the short game by Stan Utley and started pitching and chipping using his method. The article was only about 2.5 pages long but gave excellent methodolgy and routine.

I changed to this style and it seemed like overnight I was chipping and pitching to tap in range.

After this started working I decided to try his putting method. He calls it a feel based method.

All of his methods are based on full swing fundamentals.

It took a bit to get the hang of his putting method but I have it down now.

I always fought to break the 10 index level.

I am now a solid 7.1 with the last 7 rounds I played in the 70's. My putting averge is 1.75 and my up down percentage has shot up form a dismal 20% to 45% now.

No change in any other aspect of my game.

Previously I basically followed the Pelz methods to putting and Short Game for which I saw improvement but was always very inconsitent. Now I play with a tonne of confidence and feel I can chip it in or make any long put. I don't but my scores reflect an improvement.

The other change that I made was going from a PW/52/56/60 set up to a PW/54/60 combo. Utley recommends a 53/58 combo but i just cannot let go of my lob wedge.

I did buy his two books but found that the article in Golf Digest and the You Tube clips to be much more helpful. The books were a bore and not the best at explaining his approach. he is also a Titleist shill.

If you are struggling in these areas this may be something to look at. Its super easy to pick up.

The money you win on nassaus, penny a yard skins and other bets will more than pay for the books if you so choose to buy them.
    Last edited by Sparkplug; 08-09-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    Good post. I've experimented with both the Pelz and Utley methods of chipping and putting. Both have merit, but I've found the Utley method (particularly pitching and chipping) to be easier for most golfers to adapt into their game. It just feels more natural rather than mechanical. I too found Utley's book a bit boring to read, but they contain a lot of valuable information. Good luck with the new short game!!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Golf Digest Article

[quote=Sparkplug;270783]

I looked at a Golf Digest article (I cannot recall which is the month of issue but it had tiger woods standing with his hands on his hips on the cover) on the short game by Stan Utley and started pitching and chipping using his method. The article was only about 2.5 pages long but gave excellent methodolgy and routine.

May 2008 Golf Digest

I agree, anything that will give you a consistent swing and a method that you can believe in will help. I bought Utley's book but on the advice of Forum members borrowed the Pelz bible from the library. If Utley is boring what word can you use for Pelz?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Analytical.

I like Peltz approach. Whatever works for you is best, but look at both.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Putting Short Game - Utley

Interested to know if anybody tried this and got similar results.

My index is staying constant so it has helped me at least until I put the clubs away for the winter and start all over again.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Some make it sound like there are only two methods of putting and chipping/pitching shots, Pelz and Utley. Their concepts should be considered as any improvement in a golfer's fundamentals, should result in better shots. However, every golfer must ultimately find THEIR method, the technique and feelings that work best for them. This is obviously done by extensive practice and experimentation. Try opening/closing your stance, clubface, play the ball up or back, swing outside/inside, swing smoothly or HIT the ball, set the wrists early or late and so on and see what happens. Find what gives the best results and then perfect it. Pelz and Utley are not Gods.

The reason why the poster has improved is best expressed here: Now I play with a tonne of confidence and feel I can chip it in or make any long put. Believing that you can make any shot contributes more to one's success than whose or what technique is used.

Fully agree with your statements and please I am not saying that these are the only two methods.

Been playing and experimenting long enough to find something that "clicks for me".

Also I play regularly with two players who are exceptional with their short game and have developed their own unique and effective short game and putting methods. Never the less, with both of them there are fundamentals incorporated that these two teach.

Either or other methods should always be looked at.

Pelz and Utley are surely not gods but are short game experts and pretty well embody at least the two more popular approaches to the short game.

Alot of instruction is about explaining the same thing differently. One explanation may not click while the other does even though you may arive at the same destination.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    Alot of instruction is about explaining the same thing differently. One explanation may not click while the other does even though you may arive at the same destination.
    Perhaps the biggest problem is that there is too much explaining.

What would happen to golfers short games if they learned ONE stroke, having the lead wrist flat and the trail wrist bent,with variations in trajectory caused only by loft and ball position changes? Much improved play, I would guess. Common sense will get most of the credit.

7 Iron Ron Flanagan is on a distinguished road Ron Flanagan's Avatar
    Very sound advice. Flat left wrist is a must to develop any consistency.

A " flat left wrist" is a must and is common amongst the vast majority of and a one stroke apporach is essentially what Utley teaches. He just limits ball position and the use of multiple clubs.

Various lofts, and ball positions, lies and sweng lengths that have to be taken into account and this, IMHO, limits the opportunity to develop consistency and puts too many variables into play.

But, if it works for you then its the best method around for your particular game.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    My short game is absolutely killing me. My pitching and chipping stinks, and my lag putting is dismal. I'm semi-longish off the tee, but putting way too much pressure on my irons to hit it close. I'm going to check out Utley's article in the May edition - I think I have it at home - not sure why I overlooked it back in the spring - especially if something clicks for me!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    This is interesting... can someone post links to videos or pdf for any of such methods...

Thanks

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBOSLOUsQA&NR=1

You should be able to find the chipping one as well by scrolling through the other videos.

Lob Wedge Mightydocb is on a distinguished road
    Most players spend more time at the range then on the practice green anyway. I personally have a routine and putting style all my own but average 1.8 putts a round. I feel very comfortable with my putter in my hands so very little thought just repeat the same stroke over and over and over. My chipping has been hit or miss for years making the put even more important. But I noticed a couple of guys I gole with both use only one club around the green one an eight iron and one a lob wedge. They are very comfortable with the one club and are very good chippers so they get more ups and downs. I went to the one club option as I only golf twice a week I am now so comfortable with the lob wedge I am fearless around the green and my chipping has improved so my average puts should come down as well 70's golf here I come.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Go to Youtube and search for Purepoint golf, great chipping and pitching method, very simple. It has improved my short gaem immensly.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Lob Wedge Mightydocb is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBOSLOUsQA&NR=1

You should be able to find the chipping one as well by scrolling through the other videos.

Went watched the putting drill did it, and felt a little better on the course with my putting, and normally I feel pretty good about my putting.

Update on Utley method.

Just an update on my original entry.

Have not changed from these methods and my game continues to improve.

Looks like I am finished for the year with the snow on the ground and ended up with a 6.4 index.

This is not bragging (OK a little) but when I consider the last three years killing myself to break an Index of 10 with no change in ball striking or driving it has to relate back to this change.

Consider this method to look at this winter. May 2008 Golf Digest or get the books. The books do tell you how to selfcorrect if you do get into a bad habit.

I have gone from being the Club joke when it comes to pitching, putting and chipping to taking alot of money off the flat bellies with the low handicaps.

Have a good winter.

Thread Information