CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Celine is on a distinguished road

Question Need help/advice on organizing a charity golf tournament

Hello golf gurus,

I have organized more charitable events than I can count but now have been asked by a charity to organize a charity golf tournament in the lanark area (they would perfer a few courses over different dates just in case the weather is evil).

So, I am hoping some of you can provide me with some direction -- you see I am not a "golfer" (unless pathetic mini-putt counts!) , and secondly I am not so familiar with courses available outside the Ottawa area, and lastly I will probably drive my golfing friends crazy with all my questions.

We were thinking of a Monday in the later half of the summer (August), starting with a shotgun start at noon and then of course dinner and prizes and silent auction. With the day ending around 7 p.m.

Any thoughts, hints, advice would be DEARLY appreciated.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine
    Hello golf gurus,

I have organized more charitable events than I can count but now have been asked by a charity to organize a charity golf tournament in the lanark area (they would perfer a few courses over different dates just in case the weather is evil).

So, I am hoping some of you can provide me with some direction -- you see I am not a "golfer" (unless pathetic mini-putt counts!) , and secondly I am not so familiar with courses available outside the Ottawa area, and lastly I will probably drive my golfing friends crazy with all my questions.

We were thinking of a Monday in the later half of the summer (August), starting with a shotgun start at noon and then of course dinner and prizes and silent auction. With the day ending around 7 p.m.

Not really all that familiar with courses out in the Lanark area, but your choice of date/time makes very good sense. Much easier during the week (and also works as a great excuse to skip work). I'm sure there's plenty of savvy people here who could give you some course names to check out.

Good luck!

Dan

PS - What is the charity? Maybe I'd play?
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Thumbs up

What exactly are you looking for? If you want courses in that area check this link to the OttawaGolf features courses.

http://www.ottawagolf.com/coursemenu/index.htm

Once there, click on Ottawa Map ............ hold your mouse over a course in the area you wish to play. Click on the course and follow the links for tournament info. Hope this helps.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Sand Wedge Pilgrim is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine
    Im assuming you need advice on what kind of tourney or how to make it fun...

A best ball tourney works well for people who generally don't golf much, but want to have fun. Best ball is when you form teams of 4, preferably, and everyone hits a ball off the tee box (the first shot). You then choose the best of the 4 hits. Everyone moves their ball to that best ball position and tries again, until everyone is on the green. Then everyone putts out from the best putting position, until the ball is holed.

You also add things to make it more fun:
    - closest to the flag on one par three (put up a little sign with signature lines)
    - longest drive on a par 5 (same little sign)

Contact the golf courses early in the year, because tourney's are popular, and some courses are better equiped for it (I don't know the Lanark courses).

You can let people choose their own teams, but beware, there are always people who take it too seriously (see this forum). You might also hand out etiquette and safety tips (ex: don't stand at any angle in front of the shooter, bad shooters can produce some dangerous shots; bring lots of suncreen and a hat; be prepared to pay for water, or bring lots). Mix up the teams with some golfers and non-golfers on each team.

Generally, little prizes are handed out to a lot of people, just so everyone feels they've won something. Try a raffle at each table (hand out simple things, like a golf ball, etc.). I don't know if stores give discount prices for charity tournaments, but check around, you might be surprised.

Bogie disenor is on a distinguished road

Golf Tourney

Your best bet is to contact different courses in the area you wish to play in and inquire about there tourney system. Generally most courses will take care of everything from suggesting a format of play based on the number of players and their skill level, menu options, scoring and dates open as well as poss. rain dates. You can also negotiate for greenfee price and discounts on merchandise from there pro shop. Before anything you should attempt to roughly assertain the number of particapants as well as the meal requirements because the greater the number of players the greater the price break should be. Dont be afraid to ask questions, the more you know the better and make sure the courses know you are shopping around, with all the competition in the market this will force them to sharpen there pencils. Also, try to determine your greenfee limit if you decide that 40.00 is your limit then you should avoid high end courses with greenfees in access of 60.00 and also determine if you would like golf carts included in the price. Most people in these events tend to use carts so its something to consider.Finally, the tourney experiance starts as soon as the players sign in, it is always good to have a small gift bag for every player. This will help to set the tone for the day. Use some golf balls, tees and a divet tool to start with. Try to negotiate free divet repair tools and have the course put instructions in the carts. This will create a good repore with the course by showing them you care about mantaining the condition of their course. Also, 7 hours is not exactly a great deal of time to play 18 holes, have dinner, award prizes and have an auction. In my experience you will really have to keep things moving so an MC is highly recommended.
    5 to 6 hours for 18 holes is not out of the question depending on the course and skill level of the players. Also the use of carts can play a factor in the amount of time to complete the round.

Sorry for the spelling just finished work.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    A best ball tourney works well for people who generally don't golf much, but want to have fun. Best ball is when you form teams of 4, preferably, and everyone hits a ball off the tee box (the first shot). You then choose the best of the 4 hits.
    Technically what you are describing is a "Scramble" which is often mistakenly refered to as a "Best Ball"

A "Best Ball" event is where all 4 players play thier own ball into the hole, and the lowest score in the group is the team score for the hole.

ie: On hole # 1 -- Bob 6 -- Jim 4 -- Pete 5 -- Bill 5 -- Team score is 4

True best ball is the format used at the OttawaGolf Open. This format is for frequent players of average ability, not for beginners.

A stroke play event like they do on the PGA tour would only be used for expert golfers.

Celine: Don't be shy to ask businesses for prizes for charity events. Many companies will respond favourably. In fact email me the event information once you get a venue, charity and date, and I'll kick in a prize. dankilbank@ottawagolf.com

And don't forget to add it to the Calendar here.

This prize offer is open to all charity events. Just contact me with all the details.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Best advice I can give you is to book your tee times as soon as you know the date you want to have the tournament on.
    Get full payment of green fees & any other costs well in advance of your tournament.
    Scramble is definitely the way to go, along with long drive & closest to the pin hole(s).
    Count on your after dinner ceremonies running long. Good luck!

Sand Wedge Pilgrim is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Technically what you are describing is a "Scramble" which is often mistakenly refered to as a "Best Ball".
    Just trying to help....

Thread Information