100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Blades

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar

Best Blades

I'm looking into getting a set of blades and I'm wondering what models or brands people have had success with. Mizuno obviously comes to mind, along with Miura. Any thoughts would be much appriciated.

Thanks, Brian

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    This year's Cobra forged clubs, either the CB Pro or MB, are fantastic.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i LOVE my Bridgestone J33blades and have had them for nearly 4years i believe. Now that the J36 line is out, they can be had for a real good price and they are the best blades i have used.... by FAR

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Wishon 550M or 555M.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar

Blades

Hello:

I think you have to go out and hit the different offerings. The shafts do make a difference I think.

IMHO and based on the blades and forgings I have played here is some feedback.

Mizuno's DGS300; Despite what everyone says I alway's found a little on the harsh side.
    Miura DGS 300 (I played MacGregor Miura Forged PCB Tours same as the CB 301's) and they provided the best feel and responsiveness. These are the best in my eyes. You could likely pick these up on ebay for less than $200.
    Titleist 60 MB DG S300: likely the opposite of what others feel with Mizuno in that I like the responsivenes very much. I played a friend's Z Blades for a couple rounds and came away ver impressed as well.
    KZG Evo's and ZO's DGL frequency fit: Very very nice, very high quality and the benfit of custom fit.
    Older Wilson Staff Blades DG S400 & DGS300: Very Good. Played various versions for years. Don't know what the new ones are like. These are also a cheap pick up.

There is a good article in one of the Golf Rags on the make up of forged metals 1020 vs 1025 carbon steel with the 1025's being slightly softer.

Finally: The Golfsmith P2's. These are cast rather than forged, adjustable and cheap. They are extremely impressive for feedback.

Blades

I see you are playing S59's.

I think you will like see a significant difference in feel when you go to a forging.

5 Wood PatS is on a distinguished road PatS's Avatar
    You should take a look a the new MacGregor MT PRO-M blades. Really nice and soft.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Best forgings are Ben Hogan and not bad looking irons.

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    i would stay away from mizuno
    i found them significantly shorter distance wise compared to most other irons
    i really like the AP2s, i have a set in the mail right now, although they arent exactly blades, they set up and feel WAY better then blades, pure as anything
    the rac MB 2008 TP are beautiful too

Quote Originally Posted by buykrux View Post
    There's nothing inherently shorter about Mizuno's than any other blade other than the fact that they tend to have traditional lofts.

The only other factor would be that the particular shafts in them may not have been a good fit for you.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Golf magazine did a review of blades a few months ago. It was very informative. By the way, the Cobra Pro CB Forged blades came out on top. However, preferences for look and feel are very individual. So too are shaft preferences. My advice to you is to read the article, heck, you might even want to follow up on the suggestions made here. Most importantly, though, hit the clubs and compare them (if you can) to one another. You'll know pretty quickly what performs for you and what you feel comfortable with. That's how I came to own my Cobras after more than 25 years with my Wilson Staff Tour Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    There's nothing inherently shorter about Mizuno's than any other blade other than the fact that they tend to have traditional lofts.

The only other factor would be that the particular shafts in them may not have been a good fit for you.

exact same shafts were 2 clublengths shorter for me than my old hogan apex and also ta2s

The only explanation would be lofts.

The difference in COG isn't enough between two blades to substantially change the launch/distance.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Golf magazine did a review of blades a few months ago. It was very informative. By the way, the Cobra Pro CB Forged blades came out on top. However, preferences for look and feel are very individual. So too are shaft preferences. My advice to you is to read the article, heck, you might even want to follow up on the suggestions made here. Most importantly, though, hit the clubs and compare them (if you can) to one another. You'll know pretty quickly what performs for you and what you feel comfortable with. That's how I came to own my Cobras after more than 25 years with my Wilson Staff Tour Blades.
    I read that article, and it was actually what made me start thinking of going back to blades. I would probably keep my KB tour shafts and just change the heads. I was testing the mp33's and liked them a lot. Has anyone played the mp67's or 32's recently?

The only explanation would be lofts.

The difference in COG isn't enough between two blades to substantially change the launch/distance.
    exactly mypoint
    the lofts were i believe 2-3* weaker
    seems like all new irons are weaker other then ap2s

i really like the AP2s, i have a set in the mail right now, although they arent exactly blades, they set up and feel WAY better then blades, pure as anything
    the rac MB 2008 TP are beautiful too
    I have demoed the AP2's and found them to be a bit bulky, although I did like the fact that they had little offset. I have also tried the rac MB's as well and found them quite nice and surprisingly forgiving. Thanks for the thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    Hello:

I think you have to go out and hit the different offerings. The shafts do make a difference I think.

IMHO and based on the blades and forgings I have played here is some feedback.

Mizuno's DGS300; Despite what everyone says I alway's found a little on the harsh side.
    Miura DGS 300 (I played MacGregor Miura Forged PCB Tours same as the CB 301's) and they provided the best feel and responsiveness. These are the best in my eyes. You could likely pick these up on ebay for less than $200.
    Titleist 60 MB DG S300: likely the opposite of what others feel with Mizuno in that I like the responsivenes very much. I played a friend's Z Blades for a couple rounds and came away ver impressed as well.
    KZG Evo's and ZO's DGL frequency fit: Very very nice, very high quality and the benfit of custom fit.
    Older Wilson Staff Blades DG S400 & DGS300: Very Good. Played various versions for years. Don't know what the new ones are like. These are also a cheap pick up.

There is a good article in one of the Golf Rags on the make up of forged metals 1020 vs 1025 carbon steel with the 1025's being slightly softer.

Finally: The Golfsmith P2's. These are cast rather than forged, adjustable and cheap. They are extremely impressive for feedback.
    Thanks this is really helpful. I will definitely check out the MacGregors. Have you tried any of the other japanese companies and not so known brands like Yururi or Skratch golf?

Blades

Sorry have not tried any others. Japanese forgings are supposed to have a very good reputation like Mizuno and Miura.

From what I have read, Miura does forgings for many OEM's. Gossip has it that those blades that Tiger uses may look like of the Shelf Nikes but were made by Miura.

My son has the CCI forged. He loves them and I hate them.

I seen it here and heard from others about how nice Wishon are.

There were alot of boutique forged clubs out in the 80's and 90's and sometimes you can pick up a great set of heads dirt cheap.

The new Macgregors look real nice but I checked GT and NB's and neither carried them. I would like to see and hit them myself.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    I play the Nike blades and work for me.. the short irons are sooo sweet!
    I had them delofted 2 degrees as the PW was 49 degree..
    But they feel like butter and I think they are the right size and look when you address the ball.
    Bite, Bite!

5 Wood PatS is on a distinguished road PatS's Avatar
    Oh and don't forget these:

bbarr2

best blades

Brian look for a set of Mizuno MP-14's on EBAY..... like "butter"

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    These.
    Attached Images
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

5 Iron mysticalwarrior is on a distinguished road mysticalwarrior's Avatar

Blades

The best set of blades has to VEGA from kyoei golf awsome.Actually they are more of a muscleback than a blade but awsome anyway.

Gap Wedge yeahright is on a distinguished road
    I would have to agree with Macros. Ben Hogan makes some pretty nice forged clubs. The FTX's are pretty sweet

sorry to tell you but not only me, but 2 of the pros and a memeber at the club experienced the same problem
    could just be because they were all mp57s but who knows

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    exactly mypoint
    the lofts were i believe 2-3* weaker
    seems like all new irons are weaker other then ap2s

Those weaker lofts are right where they should be when compared to traditional lofts from years ago.

Cobra started jacking the loft of their irons up years ago. Their 6 iron had the loft of a 5 iron. When people tried the Cobra irons out they said "Wow, I am one club longer with these irons" Instant sale.

I played with TM 200's for 4 years. When I first put them in the bag I noticed a huge difference in distances with those irons. I chalked it up to the fact their were 1 inch longer.

However it also had to do with the fact the lofts were lower than my old TNT Titan irons I had played for 12 years. When I switched to Wishon 550C's I had to drop down one club on every iron shot. Traditional lofts on the 550C's.

So unless it comes down to a "Macho" thing, "I hit 6 iron, while you had to hit 4 iron" then go with the irons that feel best for you. No one really cares if you hit a 5 or 6 iron, as long as you get the job done.

Sand Wedge sswiseguy is on a distinguished road
    I surprised all these threads about the best blades out there and no mention of Miura blades...google Miura and check out their ratings and feedback...I have a set of miura cavity backs coming but if I can find set of Miura blades for a good price I will definatly be all over them...Miura makes "tour" forgings for Taylormade, Titleist, Nike (they made tiger his set) among others....all of miura's irons are good enough to be called 'Tour Quality' or 'Tour Prefered'....check out their website

Sand Wedge sswiseguy is on a distinguished road
    My appologies to Sparkplug he did mention Miura briefly looking back on the threads....still check out Miura they don't pay anyone to use their clubs but you would be surprised how many tour players use Miura irons disguised as there sponsored OEM brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Those weaker lofts are right where they should be when compared to traditional lofts from years ago.

Cobra started jacking the loft of their irons up years ago. Their 6 iron had the loft of a 5 iron. When people tried the Cobra irons out they said "Wow, I am one club longer with these irons" Instant sale.

I played with TM 200's for 4 years. When I first put them in the bag I noticed a huge difference in distances with those irons. I chalked it up to the fact their were 1 inch longer.

However it also had to do with the fact the lofts were lower than my old TNT Titan irons I had played for 12 years. When I switched to Wishon 550C's I had to drop down one club on every iron shot. Traditional lofts on the 550C's.

So unless it comes down to a "Macho" thing, "I hit 6 iron, while you had to hit 4 iron" then go with the irons that feel best for you. No one really cares if you hit a 5 or 6 iron, as long as you get the job done.

if you look at the standard lofts from 5-6 years ago,majority of todays lofts are weaker, iv already looked into this
    the new titleist irons are close, taylor made cgb max's are stronger, cg4 tours are close, r7 tps are close too
    when playing with hogan apexs then ta2s for the last 3 years then loosing my irons in a fire, i wasnt too impressed with going from hitting an 8 to hitting a weak 5
    but if you like hitting 170 3 irons and 90 yard PW then i geuss mp 57s are for you?

sorry to tell you but not only me, but 2 of the pros and a memeber at the club experienced the same problem
    could just be because they were all mp57s but who knows
    I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure all of Mizuno's player's clubs will have the same, traditionally spaced lofts. I.e. 48* PW and 4* spacings down to probably 4i.

I play Wishon and his lofts are generally set up that way as well.

I don't swing particularly hard and a 48* PW flies 120 for me.

Thread Information