CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Club Championship Thread 2008

I figured with my CC coming up this weekend I'd start a thread for everyone to post their own CC experiences in. Does anyone else have their CC this weekend? I'm looking forward to it this year. Another year of competitive golf under my belt can only help to make the mental side stronger. I am finding it easier and easier to keep the nerves under control and just play golf. It's going to be tough, but I'm looking to improve on my 3rd place finish last year.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I am gearing up for mine this weekend, right now I am mostly hoping the weather will be nicer.

Going to be tough for me this year as I think I am one of the highest handicappers in my flight.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I am gearing up for mine this weekend, right now I am mostly hoping the weather will be nicer.

Going to be tough for me this year as I think I am one of the highest handicappers in my flight.

The weather doesn't look all that bad.

Did you manage to get the handicap down into the A flight this year? Regardless, there are some great golfers out of Renfrew, you'd be in tough and have to earn your title regardless of how good you are. Go out, try your best, that's about all you can do. Be proud, at least you are giving it a try.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    The weather doesn't look all that bad.

Did you manage to get the handicap down into the A flight this year? Regardless, there are some great golfers out of Renfrew, you'd be in tough and have to earn your title regardless of how good you are. Go out, try your best, that's about all you can do. Be proud, at least you are giving it a try.
    No A flight for me, believe it or not, bouncing between a factor of 10.5 to 10.1 is the difference between B flight and C flight at Renfrew this year.
    That 77 I had in the 3rd of our 5 qualifiers has returned me to the B flight, & I'm in there with guys with (I believe) factors of as low as 7.0

I'm looking at the weather network & they are saying %70 for both days, with the seemingly ever present little lightning bolt.
    Andrew

No A flight for me, believe it or not, bouncing between a factor of 10.5 to 10.1 is the difference between B flight and C flight at Renfrew this year.
    That 77 I had in the 3rd of our 5 qualifiers has returned me to the B flight, & I'm in there with guys with (I believe) factors of as low as 7.0

I'm looking at the weather network & they are saying %70 for both days, with the seemingly ever present little lightning bolt.

Pffft, they put those botls up there everyday, just in case.

How are the flights divided at your club? Ours is 0-9.9 is A, 10-15(I think) is B and then I'm not sure about C and D. Although we have a few Cs, but not too many Ds.

I'm pretty sure its
    A=0-7
    B=8-11
    C=12-18
    D=18+
    But that's 1 point (roughly) over your factor, the flights are divided by the course handicap, not your factor.
    Andrew

I'm pretty sure its
    A=0-7
    B=8-11
    C=12-18
    D=18+
    But that's 1 point (roughly) over your factor, the flights are divided by the course handicap, not your factor.
    Regardless of what flight you play in, good luck and play well.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Thank goodness that the Championship at Madawaska is not scheduled until August 31st and September 1st. Hopefully by then the duck hooks off the tee will be tamed, or at least I can perform a virtual partial lobotomy on myself to excise the source of the mental problem that causing this. Since it will be my first and last chance competing there, I'm really looking forward to it. Whatever happens it will be fun.

Good luck to everyone competing in their club championships.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Thank goodness that the Championship at Madawaska is not scheduled until August 31st and September 1st. Hopefully by then the duck hooks off the tee will be tamed, or at least I can perform a virtual partial lobotomy on myself to excise the source of the mental problem that causing this. Since it will be my first and last chance competing there, I'm really looking forward to it. Whatever happens it will be fun.

Good luck to everyone competing in their club championships.

Mike, are you making the move away from the Ottawa area? Or picking a different home track for next year. I can't think of any other reason for it being your first and last change competing at Madawaska.

My wife and I are moving to Newmarket as of September 15th. There's no other reason why I would leave Madawaska. I love the place. The course is challenging - a shotmaker's track. I've yet to par it, but I'm getting close. The members are friendly, gregarious and competitive. There are club events every two weeks. Heck, they even put up with my occasional, ill-advised outburts, which I direct at myself too loudly.

Mike, are you making the move away from the Ottawa area? Or picking a different home track for next year. I can't think of any other reason for it being your first and last change competing at Madawaska.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    My wife and I are moving to Newmarket as of September 15th. There's no other reason why I would leave Madawaska. I love the place. The course is challenging - a shotmaker's track. I've yet to par it, but I'm getting close. The members are friendly, gregarious and competitive. There are club events every two weeks. Heck, they even put up with my occasional, ill-advised outburts, which I direct at myself too loudly.

Well good luck in your CC and your travels to Newmarket. You'll be sorely missed around here. If we call on you for the OG/TGN Ryder Cup you better remember where your loyalties are.

Short of being in the hospital, I look forward to playing if asked. I will be RETIRED as of April 17, 2009, so I will have plenty of time to practice.

Well good luck in your CC and your travels to Newmarket. You'll be sorely missed around here. If we call on you for the OG/TGN Ryder Cup you better remember where your loyalties are.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Good for you Mike.Happy retirement and the Ottawa golf people will miss you.You are indeed a very colorfull personality.Good luck in NewMarket.

Well, I'm off and running. Decided to head out for a practice round on Friday (hadn't played in about a week) and was on fire. Finished up -1 for the round. But you know what they say in golf, following up a great round with another great round is one of the hardest things to do.

Didn't play too bad, but not great. Shot 77, but am only 1 off the lead. Chipping and pitching just wasn't as good today. But with the course being so wet, you had to be perfect or your shot wouldn't pan out the way you'd want it to.

Anyways, looking forward to tomorrow. Not going in with any expectations, which is probably best. Just going to go out and enjoy myself and let the cards fall where they may.

Sak, how'd you make out today.

I went 85-82 for the 2 days. Left a lot of chances out there, considering I had 2 birds on Saturday and 3 birds on Sunday. Being at the back of my flight it was good enough for a net prize!

G-unit: are you the 2008 Champ?!
    Andrew

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Sak,

Do you guys play from the blues, or are there special tee boxes from different flights? Pin location variation?

I went 85-82 for the 2 days. Left a lot of chances out there, considering I had 2 birds on Saturday and 3 birds on Sunday. Being at the back of my flight it was good enough for a net prize!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Looking forward to defending mine.. In 05 I was unsuccessful in my defence so maybe this year I can do it.. We don't play until 30-31st..

Good luck everyone!
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Sak,

Do you guys play from the blues, or are there special tee boxes from different flights? Pin location variation?
    Rez: All tee blocks except the ladies and the whites are removed for the 2 days. I would say they set the course up very fairly, from the whites. Pin positions were totally fair.
    Another neat thing they did this year was give every player a sheet with the precise locations of the pins on each green.
    Andrew

Good playing buddy.

Sadly, I have to report I didn't manage to win my first Club Championship.

A brief recap, started out on fire and had a great front nine, shooting a 1 over 37. But I was still one behind, as the day one leader, and defending club champion shot a 37 as well. So it was game on for the final nine holes.

We were still tied until the 12th, where he birdied and I parred, so two down with 6 to go. We get to the 130 yd par 3 13th. He hits a shot just short of the green, mine ends up back left only about 3 feet short from going off the green. The leader chips on, and comes up about 5 feet short with a tricky downhill, right to left breaker. Now the flag is front right, so I couldn't be any further away unless I was off the green. I make my read and proceed to sink about a 40 footer. He misses his putt, bogey, we're all tied.

Coming to 18 he had built up his two stroke lead again, after one bogey from a mental error on my part and the other one was from a shot I thought was going to turn out better than it did.

18 is a very easy par 5. Birdie is almost guaranteed, eagle is even a possibility. He tees off and leaves his shot out the right, in the safe zone. I play a little more bolder and hit it down into the gulley, flirting with the creek. Get to my ball, it's safe, it plugged. Now with the ground being so saturated, a good lie was few and far between. We were playing lift, clean and place and I thought I had found a nice spot to hit from. Made my swing with the 7iron, toe caught some mud, ball flared out to the right into some fescue. I played a provisional, just in case, to just short of the front of the green. Head up the hill, my ball is resting in some fescue right beside a tree. Realizing birdie and par do me no good, I attempt to hit the ball. I make a mighty swing, make what felt like was good contact, I look up, no sign of the ball. I ask the guys in my group where it went, they said they didn't even see it come out. Lost ball!!!!

Well after the comedy of errors that ensued (lost ball, unplayable, etc) I ended up carding a 9. So what went from the chance of a solid 74 or 75, ended up turning into a disappointing 78. I still finished second, 7 strokes back, but it hurts after playing my heart out on the second day, and finally giving this guy a run for his money. But what I think hurts the most is having to wait 365 days to have another crack at it. Redemption always feels so sweet, but having to live with the disappointment for a full year is a tough pill to swallow.

But if there is a silver lining in all this, I now know I can hang with the best at my club when it matters. I'll learn from this and use it to motivate me in the future.

Good luck to everyone else in the respective CCs. Play well and don't get down on yourself if things don't go your way. Sure I was disappointed finishing up like that, but I was proud of how I hung in there. I don't think a great compliment could've been payed to me, when the Club Champ came up and thanked me for pushing him. He doesn't think he's ever had a more enjoyable, yet suspenseful (for lack of a better term), round of golf. He thoroughly enjoyed the competition.

Just in case you're wondering, I pushed him to shoot a 1 over 72 on day two. He played great, and was a pleasure to play against.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Good playing buddy.

Sadly, I have to report I didn't manage to win my first Club Championship.

A brief recap, started out on fire and had a great front nine, shooting a 1 over 37. But I was still one behind, as the day one leader, and defending club champion shot a 37 as well. So it was game on for the final nine holes.

We were still tied until the 12th, where he birdied and I parred, so two down with 6 to go. We get to the 130 yd par 3 13th. He hits a shot just short of the green, mine ends up back left only about 3 feet short from going off the green. The leader chips on, and comes up about 5 feet short with a tricky downhill, right to left breaker. Now the flag is front right, so I couldn't be any further away unless I was off the green. I make my read and proceed to sink about a 40 footer. He misses his putt, bogey, we're all tied.

Coming to 18 he had built up his two stroke lead again, after one bogey from a mental error on my part and the other one was from a shot I thought was going to turn out better than it did.

18 is a very easy par 5. Birdie is almost guaranteed, eagle is even a possibility. He tees off and leaves his shot out the right, in the safe zone. I play a little more bolder and hit it down into the gulley, flirting with the creek. Get to my ball, it's safe, it plugged. Now with the ground being so saturated, a good lie was few and far between. We were playing lift, clean and place and I thought I had found a nice spot to hit from. Made my swing with the 7iron, toe caught some mud, ball flared out to the right into some fescue. I played a provisional, just in case, to just short of the front of the green. Head up the hill, my ball is resting in some fescue right beside a tree. Realizing birdie and par do me no good, I attempt to hit the ball. I make a mighty swing, make what felt like was good contact, I look up, no sign of the ball. I ask the guys in my group where it went, they said they didn't even see it come out. Lost ball!!!!

Well after the comedy of errors that ensued (lost ball, unplayable, etc) I ended up carding a 9. So what went from the chance of a solid 74 or 75, ended up turning into a disappointing 78. I still finished second, 7 strokes back, but it hurts after playing my heart out on the second day, and finally giving this guy a run for his money. But what I think hurts the most is having to wait 365 days to have another crack at it. Redemption always feels so sweet, but having to live with the disappointment for a full year is a tough pill to swallow.

But if there is a silver lining in all this, I now know I can hang with the best at my club when it matters. I'll learn from this and use it to motivate me in the future.

Good luck to everyone else in the respective CCs. Play well and don't get down on yourself if things don't go your way. Sure I was disappointed finishing up like that, but I was proud of how I hung in there. I don't think a great compliment could've been payed to me, when the Club Champ came up and thanked me for pushing him. He doesn't think he's ever had a more enjoyable, yet suspenseful (for lack of a better term), round of golf. He thoroughly enjoyed the competition.

Just in case you're wondering, I pushed him to shoot a 1 over 72 on day two. He played great, and was a pleasure to play against.
    Well done mon ami!!!

And although you may not realize it right now, you have already come a long way IMO. The GJ of old would have started pressing when he was 2 down after 12. I don't know what the vegas odds are, but I'll put my money on you for next year

Round 1 in the books today.. Though I am disapointed with my finish (bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey).. I managed a 73 which leaves me in a 4 way tie for the lead.. Final round tomorrow..

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Good luck tomorrow Lance - Eye on the Prize

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Round 1 in the books today.. Though I am disapointed with my finish (bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey).. I managed a 73 which leaves me in a 4 way tie for the lead.. Final round tomorrow..

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    Mine finished last saturday with the 3rd round. Went out first day and fired a 40 on the front which is never nice but turned it around and made 3 birdies and a triple on the back for 35 and an opening round 75 which put me 2 back. Second day was a totally different story, couldn't get off the tee, couldn't make a putt to save my life and an 85 kicked me into the middle of the pack. Day 3 started out good but a terrible double on the par 5 9th from 100 yards set me back quickly. After a bogey on 11, I made an eagle on the 540 yard par 5 12th (driver- 9 iron)!! A couple short missed birds on 13-14 and im +4 through 14 which is the tough stretch! I then proceeded to make a 6 on a par 3 and shatter my day and finish with an 81 and pretty much hate golf

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Finished 4th with scores of 76,76.

In round 1 I hit my 150 yard club, 180 yards to the 170 #3 black, out of bounds and made a quad. Did not play well overall, but there is always next year.

I am negotiating with management to allow senior citizens to play from the white tees, instead of the golds. I wonder what the odds are.

Bouche
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Good luck lance....let us know how ya did!

Hit the ball well but didn't score today.. Got an unlucky bounce off a tree branch on 15 which went OB and resulted in a triple.. Finished 3rd.. Next year!

I finished third in the Madawaska Club Championship - and first among the old farts. Under the circumstances I was fairly pleased. On Sunday I posted a 76 with way so many visits to the woods left that I thought my post-retirement career should be in siviculture. You cannot reason with a duck hook. Today's 73 was much more satisfying - only three visits to the woods. I did manage to TC Chen a chip out of some heavy rough. Now that was embarrassing.

Thank goodness that my wife served as my caddie. Had she not been there, I suspect that a club or two might have taken flight. As it was she kept me calm and managed to keep me positive despite the fact that I hit the grand total of 6 greens in two days, one of them being on the last hole in front of a good size crowd. Sinking the tricky 10 footer for a birdie made my day.

This was my first and last Club Championship at Madawaska. I will miss the members, the owners and the course. They are all first rate.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Congrats Mike
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thanks, Bob. I'll see you at the NCGT event next week. Bring your change.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Congrats Mike

Thread Information