CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Missisipi Golf club

One word to describe this course:Wow.If ever I needed incentive to leave La Belle Province this would be it.Gorgeous old style course with lush fairways,wonderfull greens,and what a layout.Every hole is an adventure.Just cant believe my wife and I did not play here before.And as a bonus if you get tired of golfing you can always cast your fishing line in the river on the front nine.For the money you spend wich i was told around 40.00,you can play this wonderfull course 2 times compared to alot of other high end courses in our area.And thanks to Dan Kilbank and Reservation Masters,we would have never played up here.We will be back and bring some friends.Any members out there who can add to this?

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    One word to describe this course:Wow.If ever I needed incentive to leave La Belle Province this would be it.Gorgeous old style course with lush fairways,wonderfull greens,and what a layout.Every hole is an adventure.Just cant believe my wife and I did not play here before.And as a bonus if you get tired of golfing you can always cast your fishing line in the river on the front nine.For the money you spend wich i was told around 40.00,you can play this wonderfull course 2 times compared to alot of other high end courses in our area.And thanks to Dan Kilbank and Reservation Masters,we would have never played up here.We will be back and bring some friends.Any members out there who can add to this?
    Ssshhhhh. Keep it down! The 'sippi is the best kept secret around these parts.

My name came up on the membership waiting list. I'm in next year.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Lucky you,I wish I lived closer.

It's a sweet track, for sure. Not long by modern standards, but it is extremely well kept, and capital improvement projects are continually undertaken to improve the course. Played 27 holes on Sunday afternoon / evening by myself, in less than 4.5 hours, with a stop for dinner.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Hmmm, maybe I'll have to give it another go because I wasn't that impressed when I went earlier in the year.

I found the conditioning to be good but not great. I liked the layout on the front nine - some really interesting and challenging holes. But it seemed that the back nine just had a ton of blind shots - I don't mind one or two but when it turns into every second hole it becomes a little frustrating.

I had heard great things about the course and had high expectations when I booked it (perhaps too high), but I was kinda disappointed when I left.

Bouche
    Yet to play it but I have heard alot of good things about the course! I might go play there sometime early August. I will keep my expectations down!

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Hmmm, maybe I'll have to give it another go because I wasn't that impressed when I went earlier in the year.

I found the conditioning to be good but not great. I liked the layout on the front nine - some really interesting and challenging holes. But it seemed that the back nine just had a ton of blind shots - I don't mind one or two but when it turns into every second hole it becomes a little frustrating.

I had heard great things about the course and had high expectations when I booked it (perhaps too high), but I was kinda disappointed when I left.
    It's not a course that you'd compare style-wise to Eagle Creek, Marshes, or Stonebridge (especially the front nine which is more than 80 years old). The back nine does have a few tee shots where you can't see the fairway (12, 14)... and the 16th is a short par four that can be driven, though you can't see the green from the tee.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I found that you need to try all sorts of shots and if you play from the tips,its prob. a good challenge,but its not like E.C,Marshes etc..but if you like the old style courses and we do,then by all means its the best bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I found that you need to try all sorts of shots and if you play from the tips,its prob. a good challenge,but its not like E.C,Marshes etc..but if you like the old style courses and we do,then by all means its the best bang for your buck.
    Just to be clear, I wasn't expecting conditions like Eagle Creek or The Marshes - I would have been happy with conditions like Casselview or Canadian. I just found the greens to be a little slow and bumpy and the fairways were just OK - this was back in early June so maybe they're a lot better now.

Length was not the issue as I usually play from the whites anyway. I love old-style courses - one of my favourites is Chateau Montebello and I always enjoy the Perth course (and you can't much older than that!). I'm not a "bomb and gouge" player by any stretch - I like to think my way around a course and play strategically. That's what I liked about the front 9.

What I don't like is a course filled with blind shots and hidden hazards. As I stated, I don't mind one or two (like there were on the front), but when it is every second hole (as it was on the back) then in my opinion the course is just being "tricked up" for the members.

Just to be clear, I wasn't expecting conditions like Eagle Creek or The Marshes - I would have been happy with conditions like Casselview or Canadian. I just found the greens to be a little slow and bumpy and the fairways were just OK - this was back in early June so maybe they're a lot better now.

Length was not the issue as I usually play from the whites anyway. I love old-style courses - one of my favourites is Chateau Montebello and I always enjoy the Perth course (and you can't much older than that!). I'm not a "bomb and gouge" player by any stretch - I like to think my way around a course and play strategically. That's what I liked about the front 9.

What I don't like is a course filled with blind shots and hidden hazards. As I stated, I don't mind one or two (like there were on the front), but when it is every second hole (as it was on the back) then in my opinion the course is just being "tricked up" for the members.
    I think you may be mis-remembering the back nine, because they're aren't blind shots on every second hole... maybe every third hole

1. the tee shot on 12 you can't see the fairway.
    2. same for 14.
    3. and if you choose to go for the green on 17, that would be considered blind.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Pitching Wedge Mick-Mulli is on a distinguished road
    Did you say that you can only play it 2 times ? So 2 times a year or....?
    I've been wanting to play this course for a while now, and now I want to play even more....
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I think you may be mis-remembering the back nine, because they're aren't blind shots on every second hole... maybe every third hole
    OK, I wasn't counting the par 3's - that would just be too crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    1. the tee shot on 12 you can't see the fairway.
    2. same for 14.
    3. and if you choose to go for the green on 17, that would be considered blind.
    I think you mean 13 instead of 14 - the one with the swamp on the right that has the periscope, right? Also, long hitters can't see their landing area over the hill from the 16th tee, while short hitters will have a blind second shot over the hill.

I'll give it another try. I don't want to judge a course too harshly based on a single visit, but I'm just saying that I was little disappointed on the first trip.

OK, I wasn't counting the par 3's - that would just be too crazy!

I think you mean 13 instead of 14 - the one with the swamp on the right that has the periscope, right? Also, long hitters can't see their landing area over the hill from the 16th tee, while short hitters will have a blind second shot over the hill.

I'll give it another try. I don't want to judge a course too harshly based on a single visit, but I'm just saying that I was little disappointed on the first trip.
    I guess it is true about 16, I hadn't really thought of it as blind hole.

Actually I meant 15, my bad... #10 is a shortish par 4 over a pond to a recently re-done green. #11 is a 169 par three with a small pot bunker in front of the green. #12 is a slight dogleg left... from the tee you can't see the landing area. #13 is a tricky, tight par five, #14 is a 107 yard par 3... and #15 is a par four that moves to the right around the marsh, and from the tee you can barely see the left side of the fairway...

Not trying to convince you it's a great course, as everyone has their own likes and dislikes for various reasons (for me it's Loch March on the not-too-crazy-about-side).

Just surprised about your impression regarding conditioning on your visit, because that's one of the last criticisms I would expect of the 'sip.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    They did have some trouble with #1 & 2 fairways and #10 green this year. I played it in the middle of May and the conditions were not what I've come to expect from Mississippi. You're right about the blind shots on the back, there's quite a number of them.
    I would suggest you give it another chance, it is the epitome of 'hidden gem'
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I love a challenge---got to go---maybe next week---sounds very interesting
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Me and Bugsy are going to try it at 12:37 this friday
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Miss. golf club

I am sure you will enjoy it.Just a pure delight to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post

If I said I would join you I would probably be shot!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    If I said I would join you I would probably be shot!!!!
    Whats holding you back?

Bouche
    We should get a couple groups going there sometime soon! Sounds like a good funday

Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    We should get a couple groups going there sometime soon! Sounds like a good funday
    You should organize the fall forum fun day there in September

Bouche
    I should....how about you should!! LOL

No im kidding. I guess I could do it but that means your driving. No sense on both of us driving like that day we went out to Geoffs course out in the middle of nowhere

I was wondering when the "fun day" would come up

Pitching Wedge ShagBag is on a distinguished road ShagBag's Avatar
    So? comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post

3 Wood gdwlkspld is on a distinguished road

Mississippi's fine but how about Renfrew?!?

Yessir, Mississippi's just fine but the best value in the valley has got to be Renfrew...

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Come on Indio, step up to the plate again, Mississippi in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ShagBag View Post
    So? comments?

We didn't make it out.... we have a tee time this Monday though (I have played the course before and I always loved it)

Pitching Wedge Mick-Mulli is on a distinguished road
    I played it on Friday for the first time, and this course is excellent and in great shape. I will be returning for sure. I have yet to play renfrew but it is next on my list.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    i was a junior member there growing up $325 at the time, I was spoiled.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Well I played it for my first time today. Really nice course, very pretty and interesting. Hard to know where on earth you are going I think it would be better after getting to know it more.

My only beef was the very very bumpy fairways. If you are on a cart it will do your back in if you don't go at a snails pace.

Thread Information