CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof Vents

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question Roof Vents

Have noticed that a lot of newer roofs and replacements are going to the "new" high roof vents. If you have not seen/noticed they are square, 16-18" high and have 4 ridges/vents at the top end. Seems to me that they would allow more air to pass than the traditional low to the roof vents with the extra bonus of being high enough to be above most normal winter snow. I just went on the web to find a supplier and read about them but could not find anything. Any thoughts or sources of reliable info?

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I got them, figured the same thing, apparently offers better air flow in the winter. worth the extra cost IMO.

heres a site, haven't looked around it much, but it may give you more info:
    http://www.venmar.ca/AfficherListePr...angue=en&id=31

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Thanks g8r. I've heard of Venmar and think they have a good rep. I am also looking for an external vent range hood, which they appear to offer. For your roof vent, did you replace or add? I did find some stuff on the web that indicates that perhpas the other vents need to be sealed off to allow for the air to flow properly from the soffitt vents through the new one.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Don't seal off the old vents. but be aware that adding new roof vents may not increase the flow through your attic. The issue is that no matter how much air you allow to exit your attic your soffit vents can only draw in so much air. So basically what I'm trying to say is adding additional venting may not actually = better air movement. I would recommend only replacing your existing vents with these tall ones as they will help air flow in the winter months. At most depending on the size of your roof you may want to add 1 more vent, but anything more then that you may just be throwing your money away.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    We replaced 2 of our vents with these "maxi-vents" last summer when the roof was redone. They also allow a LOT more heat to escape during summer months. The roofer said that when he pulled off the old small vent, that a "blast" of hot air came flying out as it now had a simple exit. You can buy them at Home Depot for around $100 each and they come in a variety of colours.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Two choices, either the venmar or Maximum Vent are good. My supplier sells the Venmar which I find to be a cleaner look. Depending on the square footage or your house, there are two choices....the 1 fin venmar which ventilates from 0- 700 sq feet or the 3 fin which ventilates from 700-1200. The reason why roofers are suggesting these vents are not only for better ventilation (wiht less holes/vents on your roof) but also because in recent years the mushroom vents are allowing blowing snow to penetrate into the attic. Most roofs are underventilated. Shingle manufacturers now will not warranty the shingles if there is inadequate ventilation. Also make sure the vent hole is 12X12 when installing.

If your looking to have some installed PM me. The 3 fin costs me 85.10 and the 1 fin 54.17. I charge only $60 to install 1 vent and if there are multiple $50.00 per vent.

Scott
    AKA ROOFER

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    . Also make sure the vent hole is 12X12 when installing.
    This is a great point. I've seen old vents pulled off and you descover under the vent is a hole in the roof deck put in with a swing or 2 of a hammer. Seems to be very common in new housing developments where houses are built fast and cheap
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Putter lCoach is on a distinguished road
    Hi Scott, Do you still install Maxi Vents ? Do you install in Orleans ? If so, email me at yannblais@gmail.com, I need two installed asap. Thanks Yann

Thread Information