100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Bouche

Top Courses and most improved?

Alright guys and girls

I want to know what your top 5 golf courses in the Ottawa area is this year.

I have now played 30 courses in the area this year and these are my 5 most enjoyable.

1. Camelot
    2. Outaouias
    3. Talon
    4. Marshes
    5. Casselview

As for the most improved I would have to say Pineview.

The greens are coming along compared to years back. They now have irrigation and now they just need to give the course a little more definition.

3 Iron Simonlap is on a distinguished road Simonlap's Avatar
    I have a Reservation Masters this year which means I've played alot of courses this year. These are my top 5.

1.Greyhawk-Talon
    2.Heritage
    3.Nation
    4.Manderley
    5.Hammond

*Must note that I haven't played any of the high end courses such as Marshes-Camelot-etc...

My most improved goes to
    Bearbrook Golf Course

*I must say that I was impressed by Pineview. After all the bad stuff I heard about it over the last 10 years, I finally took it up to try it and I was quite impressed with its condition.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Hmmm, to qualify for most improved means it must have been a pretty bad course to begin with, right?

I think one of the most improved courses is actually Falcon Ridge. I despised this course when it first opened - spotty conditioning and some of hole designs were so far beyond stupid as to be in the realm of the absurd. But they've really improved the course conditioning, built new tee boxes, cleared out some of the underbrush so that not every ball off the fairway is a lost ball, removed most of the stupid elements and generally made it playable for the average golfer.

I still can't stand the 10th hole, and they still have the same yardage listed for two sets of tees on every par 3 (I don't own a rangefinder). But it is close to town, reasonably-priced and yet never too busy because so many people were turned off by the course when it first opened.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    1. Outaouais
    2. Mississippi
    3. Loch March
    4. Eagle Creek
    5. Emerald Links

I really enjoy Mont Cascades but their greens are just too damned slow to suit my game.

Although they are quality courses, I am not a fan of Camelot or The Marshes.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hybrid Riddell is on a distinguished road
    1.Eagle Creek
    2.Camelot
    3.Loch March
    4.Marshes
    5.Talon

8 Iron dblock is on a distinguished road dblock's Avatar
    Pakenham highlands and Cloverdale links definately rate higher than Casselview and Nation in my book. I personnaly hate playin Nation this year, I can't stand the hard-as-concrete and slow greens.

Bouche
    I do play the nation alot but I agree with your views. I find have the time I go there I dont enjoy myself although I have learned how tio play that course. <<

3 Wood dwalker is on a distinguished road dwalker's Avatar
    Top 5 for me:

Hawkesbury Golf & Curling
    Eagle Creek
    Outaouais
    Loch March
    Renfrew

As for most improved, I would have to say Hammond has become a really good course in the last 2 years.
    Slice, hook, or straight down the middle. It all looks the same on the score card.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I don't play the quantity or quality that you guys do but for me Outaouais is tops. The venue is great and the greens are the fastest by far that I have played. I love the fairways at Anderson Links, although it appreciate that it is not as challenging as most. They seem to cut them just a little bit higher than the others and you can get your club under the ball.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Stonebridge. While their fairways are a little patchy this year, they're still nice and thick 90% of the course. The greens are a lot better than a year ago. For me, it's a great layout with pretty good conditioning. I've always enjoy my rounds there.

Finally played Loch March this year, and while I liked the conditions, the greens were a little plain and slow. But the worst part - the bugs. I've used up half the bottle of Off, and still got swarmed a couple of times.

Played Marshes for the first time and liked it a lot. The only downside is the mandatory cart (and yes, you need it, some of the walks between holes are just too long), especially when it's a "cart path" day.

Out of the three, I'd take Stonebridge for layout, and Marshes for conditioning.

NB: Haven't played Outaouais this year, so I'm not including it in the list, but I really enjoyed my rounds there last year.

Out of the lower end courses, Arnprior and Meadows get my vote. Nice conditions, reasonably difficult, nice greens. Playing Canadian for the first time this year this weekend, and by all accounts, it should be listed as well.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Favourite courses this year:

1) Bethpage Black
    2) Trillium Wood
    3) Camelot
    4) Pakenham
    5) Stonebridge

And as for most improved, over the last couple of years I'd have to say it's Pakenham. When I first picked up golf, Pakenham is where I played and learned the game. I've only played it a few times the last couple of years, but I don't remember it being in anywhere as near of good shape then as it is now. Kudos to the ground crew.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

8 Iron dblock is on a distinguished road dblock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post

And as for most improved, over the last couple of years I'd have to say it's Pakenham. When I first picked up golf, Pakenham is where I played and learned the game. I've only played it a few times the last couple of years, but I don't remember it being in anywhere as near of good shape then as it is now. Kudos to the ground crew.
    I second that! Was there last weekend and was blown away. greens were awesome!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Duh!!... Bouch asked for the Ottawa area.... 3 out of 5 ain't bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Favourite courses this year:

1) Bethpage Black
    2) Trillium Wood
    3) Camelot
    4) Pakenham
    5) Stonebridge

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Top courses for us:
    1-Camelot
    2-Missisipi
    3-Montebello
    4-Hautes Plaines
    5-Loch March

As far as most improved its kinda tough to pick one because the courses are all very mush improved all over,I would pick Pineview just because of the way it used to be.The rain has helped it a lot.

Putter Mojambo is on a distinguished road
    if you guys had to chose between pineview and the meadows...what the pick for next week? Seeing we've had lots of rain, does pineview drain well or hold the water?I'm aiming for the meadows, but looking for some 1st hand experience.ThanksEric

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Pineview does not drain well unfortunaly.My wife played the hospital tournement there in jully and it was one big pond.Too bad because it has come a long way this year.

Lob Wedge skylee64 is on a distinguished road skylee64's Avatar
    public courses

1. Marshes
    2. Loch March
    3. Stonebridge
    4. Emerald Links
    5. Greensmere

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    For those that are picking Eagle Creek, have you played there recently? I played on Sunday, and the course is definitely struggling with all the rain. Several of the greens are somewhat sparse in terms of grass, and the 3rd green in particular is an abomination. Really, the course is looking a bit haggard in general.

Condition wise, Predator at Greyhawk has been surprisingly good. However, Kanata Lakes is the best conditioned of the Clublink courses by a wide margin this year.

Bouche
    I havent played KL in a while but I remember it being a great course. I will be playing in the Sun Scramble at EagleCreek and it will be the first time I will have the chance to play it. Im excited but I hate rough greens! Hope all the greens will be ok next weekend. Come on SUN do your job!

I played Pine View today for the first time in a year. I cannot believe how much this track has improved over the years, given the location, and the money the City puts into it. The greens are in great shape and a challenge with the speed being up over courses like Meadows, Nation, Casselview and Metcalfe. There is not one fairway that is not fully grassed and they are cut properly. Problems still persist though as there are still too many wet spots but by the looks of it they are working hard with the money they have. First time in many years I note they have a large number of new tree plantings which should help give the course a little more definition. I'm glad they are back with RM and I'll play it more often in the future. Good value for the money.

I agree with you Kiwi,its too bad that they did not have a clear vision when they built it.Planting trees is the most important thing you can do when starting up.Another nice touch when we played last month is that the marshalls went around with drinking water on the course.This is a great idea and other courses should pick up on it.

Thumbs up Water

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Another nice touch when we played last month is that the marshalls went around with drinking water on the course.This is a great idea and other courses should pick up on it.
    Thanks, forgot to mention that. They were by us three times and they made a point of making eye contact and asking each of us if we were ok for water. Only other place I saw something similar was last year during all the heat, Canadian had an ice bucket with towels between the 18th and the club house. Takes so little, but means so much.

Bouche
    Not to mention there marshalls actually do work and its great that they have water as well.

Pineview has become a high traffic golf course and it used to be 20$ after 4pm now its 30something. The prices are going up!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    My top 5 are:

1) Camelot
    2) Talon
    3) Montebello
    4) Casselview
    5) Greensmere

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    My top 5 for this year are:

1) Marshes
    2) Talon
    3) Mississippi
    4) Renfrew
    5) Greensmere

Note: Kanata Lakes was in great shape, but I am always concerned about snap hooking a drive into someone's backyard..........again.

Bye.
    retread.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Have to stick CHAMPLAIN into the most improved category! Right, No Back??? lol

Seriously, 7.30 Thursday morning caught us behind the greens-cutters and they were amazingly smooth & very fast. Some of us putted right off the green.
    Of course, we also hit the 4 greens that were still very dewy/uncut. What an amazing difference.
    Overall, fine improvement from a few years ago. Chateau Cartier acroos the street is not worth almost double the green-fees charged.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Champlain must have come a long way over the summer months... it wasn't worth the $20 I paid for a round at the end of May. Maybe I'll give it another shot before the year's out.
    Wannabe Golf

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    1. Rivermead
    2. Royal Ottawa
    3. Rideau View
    4. Eagle Creek
    5. Hunt Club

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Foddz View Post
    Champlain must have come a long way over the summer months... it wasn't worth the $20 I paid for a round at the end of May. Maybe I'll give it another shot before the year's out.
    The fairways are still in poor condition as the course does not drain well, however I have to agree that the greens are fantastic. Amazingly smooth and fast - some of the best I've played on this year.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faldo View Post
    Have to stick CHAMPLAIN into the most improved category! Right, No Back??? lol

I would have to say the greens were in good shape once your ball was on them. Getting them to stay on them was another thing.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Thread Information