CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pin in or out

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question Pin in or out

Was playing a friendly game with buddies today. I drove short on a par 3, made a miserable chip and was about 5 feet from the edge of the green on the fringe. The flag was still in and everyone else was on the green. One of the guys went to pull the pin and I asked him to leave it in as I was off the green. He said that as I was putting (used my putter) I had no right to have the pin in. One of the others agreed with me and it was left in. The pin puller said that he had seen a match on tv the other week where a caddy had left the pin in when his player was putting from off the green and he was penalized.

What say you Rules Guru?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you are off the green you are allowed to have the pin in. It doesn't matter what club you are using.

I can't comment on the "saw it on TV" explanation other than to say that it's not correct. Either the player was on the green or something else was going on.

The only example I can think of is that the flag was NOT being tended and then the caddie removed it after the player made a stroke. That is not allowed.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    from now on I'm going to putt with my driver so I can keep the pin in and use it as a backstop for the ones that go to fast...
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you are on the green it doesn't matter what club you use either. It's a penalty if the ball hits the flagstick.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like the caddie may have been standing close enough to the pin , to be deemed "attending" the pin

If a players ball strikes the pin that is being attended , wether his ball is on or off the green , he incurrs a 2 shot penalty

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    Sounds like the caddie may have been standing close enough to the pin , to be deemed "attending" the pin
    It's not just a caddie that may cause the penalty strokes. Note 1 to Rule 17-1 states, that "If the flagstick is in the hole and ANYONE stands near it while a stroke is being made, he is deemed to be attending the flagstick."

I have seen a player stand close to the flagstick, with the idea that if the chip or putt, of his PARTNER, from off the green was good speed he would pull the flag, but leave it in if the ball was traveling too hard.

Yes , I should have expanded , but was in the mindset answering the initial post where a caddy was mentioned

A lot of people dont even realise the pin can be held while your off the green chipping etc , let alone the 2 shot penalty for hitting the flag , or attendy

If the ball strikes the flag its a penalty , there's nothing in the rules saying the flag must be pulled if the ball isnt going into the hole

Quote Originally Posted by oneputtbobby View Post
    If the player asked for the pin to be tended then it MUST be removed after the stroke.
    And if it isn't, what happens?

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    And if it isn't, what happens?
    Very subtle question

Quote Originally Posted by oneputtbobby View Post
    if it hits the pin the stupid * will have to putt it from a penalty of 6 inches further.
    And what else happens?

Thread Information