100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar

"what the heck were you thinking of" moments

I had one of those special "what the heck were you thinking of" moments today. I was playing the Black nine at Greensmere today, hit my approach shot on the green on Hole No.2. I decided to leave my clubs near the 3rd green before playing out the 2nd hole.

This is where the special moment occurred. When I left my clubs by the 3rd green, my golf bag which is strapped to my Sun Mountain Speed cart followed the very slight incline of the cart path as I was walking with my putter towards the 2nd green to finish out the hole.

The issue is a) the Sun Mountain Carts have very little rolling resistance (especially on a cart path), b) the cart path eventually curves around to the left (towards the 4th tee blocks) and c) my cart was determined to roll in a straight line.

The people who have played Greensmere have probably anticipated the outcome. My bag (and golf cart) decided to park itself in the pond beside the 3rd green. It ended up laying on it's side almost totally submerged.

I had to climb down the embankment into the pond (almost up to my waist), spin the bag and cart around so the wheels pointing down and the handle was aimed towards the shore. I had to pull the bag up the embankment, which was a challenge, as it was full of water and the embankment was muddy.

After I was able to retrieve my bag from the pond, I had to go back to get several gloves that were still floating on the surface. When I tipped my bag over, I estimate around 3 gallons of water came flowing out of it.

Every towel, glove, and all contents including my range finder were soaked. My grips were so saturated, that I ended up playing the next 5 holes wearing rain gloves.

The only thing that saved my dignity (until now) was that I was playing as a single golfer and the next closest group was several holes behind and didn't witness my special moment. I am currently trying to dry everything out.

Lessons Learned:
    1. Use the brake.
    2. Range Finders *really* don't like being submerged.
    3. Winn Xi7 grips are a sponge.
    4. Use the brake.

This is my special moment.

Bye.
    retread
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Well retread you're not the first one to go in that pond. One other member on this forum, who I won't mention, had the same thing happen a couple of years ago and his video camera never worked right again. I also know of a few other members that have dumped it in there. One of my buddies had his go very late in the year and the only thing that saved him was very thin layer of ice that barely supported his clubs. I hope your rangefinder works when it dries out. Sure is a tough way to learn a lesson.

Pitching Wedge Mick-Mulli is on a distinguished road
    Well I guess its better your clubs then your ball. I can't beleive you continued playing after going into the water up to your waist, pretty hardcore.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    when I played Mpare for money so dumb
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    when I played Mpare for money so dumb
    Been there done that. Like he needs our money!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Been there done that. Like he needs our money!
    At least when I played you, It wasn't over after 9 holes. He took my $16
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Wow. You got schooled.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I had one of those special "what the heck were you thinking of" moments today. I was playing the Black nine at Greensmere today, hit my approach shot on the green on Hole No.2. I decided to leave my clubs near the 3rd green before playing out the 2nd hole.

This is where the special moment occurred. When I left my clubs by the 3rd green, my golf bag which is strapped to my Sun Mountain Speed cart followed the very slight incline of the cart path as I was walking with my putter towards the 2nd green to finish out the hole.

The issue is a) the Sun Mountain Carts have very little rolling resistance (especially on a cart path), b) the cart path eventually curves around to the left (towards the 4th tee blocks) and c) my cart was determined to roll in a straight line.

The people who have played Greensmere have probably anticipated the outcome. My bag (and golf cart) decided to park itself in the pond beside the 3rd green. It ended up laying on it's side almost totally submerged.

I had to climb down the embankment into the pond (almost up to my waist), spin the bag and cart around so the wheels pointing down and the handle was aimed towards the shore. I had to pull the bag up the embankment, which was a challenge, as it was full of water and the embankment was muddy.

After I was able to retrieve my bag from the pond, I had to go back to get several gloves that were still floating on the surface. When I tipped my bag over, I estimate around 3 gallons of water came flowing out of it.

Every towel, glove, and all contents including my range finder were soaked. My grips were so saturated, that I ended up playing the next 5 holes wearing rain gloves.

The only thing that saved my dignity (until now) was that I was playing as a single golfer and the next closest group was several holes behind and didn't witness my special moment. I am currently trying to dry everything out.

Lessons Learned:
    1. Use the brake.
    4. Use the brake.

Bye.
    retread
    Had a buddy do that exact same thing on no.7 central at Manderley last year. He too now uses his break and puts his cell phone in a plastic bag before the first hole.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Steve I dont even want to think about that one.Pretty funny stuff when it doesnt happen to you.You are indeed a trooper.LOL

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Well retread you're not the first one to go in that pond. One other member on this forum, who I won't mention, had the same thing happen a couple of years ago and his video camera never worked right again.
    Had my camera hung over the handle ready to take some shots of the Snowbirds as they flew over Greensmere during Intersectional qualifying one year. Decreasing the weight on the single wheel end and the slight decline caused the cart and the contents to go for a swing in the pond on #3 Black. The $1200 camera was toast and water was running out of the bag for a couple of holes.

Of course, as you can see, I keep getting reminded of the blunder but then for someone who can't negotiate a 6' bridge in a cart and doesn't know the difference between the accelerator and the brake, these things are expected.

A friend pushed his 3 wheeler down the slope near the tee on #8 at Pakenham. The cart hooked, went down the very steep, clay turfed embankment and flipped upside down. We spent considerable time fishing out his wallet, loose change, cell phone, balls, tees and just as we were about to leave, I noticed something sparkle in the water. With great effort he was able to retrieve his WEDDING RING.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post

Lessons Learned:
    1. Use the brake.
    4. Use the brake.

Bye.
    retread

I was wondering why you were playing with your second set today and figured it had something to do with the "Did you read my post on OttawaGolf today?" comment you made...

I'll remember this story next time I want to smash my driver on one of the tee blocks like I wanted to do today...

Brings a new meaning to "fishing for golf balls"... except this time it's the whole bag...

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Red face Read AND Follow the Instructions

Near miss in the pond at #8 Hammond the first time I used my speed cart. Instructions say that you should not trust the factory set up of the front wheel alignment. I did. Pushed it around my basement all winter and it looked fine. Coming down off the elevated tee the cart path stretched out in front of me all the way down to the fairway. I let the cart go safe in the knowledge that I would meet it at the bottom of the hill in the short grass. I looked away and when I looked back the faulty wheel alighment kicked in, and the cart was off the path and down the embankment towards the pond. The chase was on and to my surprise I was able to get two fingers on the handle just as it tipped over. Cart ended up with one wheel in the water but all else dry, but not clean as it was spiring and the embankment was still pretty muddy. The three Hammond members I was playing with rushed up to see if I was alright but it took me a moment to catch my breath and stop laughing. Only lost the ball marker from the brim of my cap. Wish I could have seen it from my playing partner's vantage point.

Thread Information