100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Soon to be newbie.

I’m interested in buying my first SC but I have no clue on all the differences in models. I tried a studio design and liked the feel but it was a 35 inches and that’s too long for me. I need a 33 or 34 inch. I would also like a line on the head for alignment.

Can anyone give me feedback on models that fit this description and any information on the differences between all SC models. There are so many out there and some I can’t see the differences between them. And then there is the weight…

TY
    Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The Studio Design series came in two iterations, the first had a gun blue finish on carbon steel and is very soft. The second series had a black pearl finish, which is an iridescent black nickel plating over carbon steel, and is a bit clickier in feel. If you're looking for one with a flange line, in the gun blue series you have a choice between a 1.5 or a 2.5. The 1.5 is a bit longer heel to toe, and a bit thinner than the 2.5 which is kind of chunky and stubby.

This is the 1.5 and 2.5 side by side. You can also get a Studio Design 2 which is the same shape as the 2.5, except no pocket/cavity and it has an alignment line that is parallel to the topline.

For the black pearl series, you have a choice between a 1.5 (which is more of a midslant neck than the flowing neck of the gun blue 1.5), the 2.5 (same as the gun blue version except for the finish), the 3.5 (which is a 2.5 only with a slant neck) and the 5, which is a mallet. I believe you could only get an Asian Spec Studio Design in the black pearl series, though I could be wrong. These putters, a 2.5 and a 3.5, were produced for the asian market with a 340g head weight, which matches perfectly to the 34" length. All the rest of the putters were 35" and 330g. Cutting it down an inch isn't really a big deal though. The head may feel a bit lighter, but no different than any 34" putter out there on the market right now. Most companies don't adjust headweight. And there are a ton of ways to get the swingweight up if you want.

Black Pearl 1.5 and 2.5

Studio Design 3.5 and 5

If you like the Studio Designs, you might want to check out the Circa series too. The 2007 and 2008 version are charcoal mist, which is a nickel plate similar in feel to the black pearl SDs. The 2006 versions are gun blue and very soft. The 2006 versions have yellow paintfill and the later ones are red (just to help you distinguish between them).

WOW! That was a lot of help. TYVM.

I guess you like the black finish. Any reason?

You were talking about weight. I here ideal swing weight is 350g and that is hard to find at 33 or 34 inch. What about the new SS Newport 2. You can change the weights. What do you think about that model and what model does it compare to the ones above?

Mike

No problem at all, happy to help. I think that while there is a lot of hype about 350g heads, they're not for everyone. They may be for you, I don't know, it's completely subjective. For me it's way too heavy as I like my putters 35". Unfortunately you can't get a SD putter in a 350g head unless it's a tour model, but you can get an Asian Spec Circa 3 in 350g. It's similar to the SD 3.5, just with a plumbers neck.

It's hard for me to compare the new Selects to the SD series just because the Selects are stainless steel whereas the SDs are carbon. Carbon heads, to me, are much softer feeling and I really prefer them over stainless putters. Others prefer stainless, again, it's completely subjective. You should spend some time with one at GT just to see how you like it. Tiger uses a stainless Scotty, so obviously it works for some.

As for which SD series I like, to be honest I really like them both. The gun blue models are great just because they feel very soft to me, I putt better with my gun blue SD1 than I ever did with my black pearl SD5. The black pearl is a really cool finish though, the rainbows are much more vivid in real life than in pictures. If the black pearl 2.5 had ever come lefty, I would own one for sure, it's one of my favourite putter styles. The one drawback is that they can be a bit distracting to use in bright sunshine, they're very reflective. The bonus is that as a plated putter, they don't require as much maintenance as a gun blue model.

What’s mid-slant and what other option are there in slants?

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Can't go wrong with a Scotty. I have a Red X2 for about 3 years now and there is no way I am changing. I have the 35" and 350 gr model. The Red X2 is a near centered shaft. The 34" model is 340 gr and the 33" model is 330 gr. They now have the Red X3 and Red X5.

The Red X2 also have the 3 little dot on top to make sure your putter face is squared and also have 3 line for alignment.

Can't say much about other model because I have never look to change.

Good luck...

PS: I think the Red X2 would not be considered an offset putter
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Can't go wrong with a Scotty. I have a Red X2 for about 3 years now and there is no way I am changing. I have the 35" and 350 gr model. The Red X2 is a near centered shaft. The 34" model is 340 gr and the 33" model is 330 gr. They now have the Red X3 and Red X5.
    Your numbers are backwards. The shorter the shaft the heavier the head, this makes them all feel the same.

35" - 330g
    34" - 340g
    33" - 350g

You can find good descriptions of all the putters here:

http://www.scottycameron.com/putters/archive.aspx?id=2

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Thanks LMS for the correction...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    What’s mid-slant and what other option are there in slants?
    A midslant neck is like a plumber's neck, except that instead of having a right angle from the hosel to the neck and then down to the putter head, it slants straight into the putter head. Midslant necks also normally have less toe hang than a plumber's neck, so they're closer to face balanced and suit a more straight back straght through type stroke. I find they also give you a really clean look at the ball from address.

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    i picked the detour simply because its all golf town had left handed!!!!

Thread Information