100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar

Residing in Quebec???

Ok without going into lot of politics here. My daughter is moving to Aylmer. Could anyone here please tell me if there is anything we should be aware of. She now has OHIP...how does that work in Quebec. Any differences such as that that we should be aware of before she moves?
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I don't know the specifics of the Quebec health plan but she would need to apply for a Quebec health card. There may or may not be a waiting period before she gets one.

Other than that, the two biggest differences are:

1. Income tax. She will need to file both a federal and a provincial tax return compared to the single return she filed in Ontario.

2. Schooling. If she has or is planning kids she should confirm their eligibility to be educated in English. I haven't followed this in a while but assuming the legislation is the same she needs to have been educated in English in Canada, aka "the Canada clause" to have her kids go to English school.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    To add to the previous 2 points, the third is Health care which is big issue. That is, if you don't have a family doctor, good luck in getting one. Most of my friends who have kids cross the river to ER in CHEO and they go to walking clinics (no family doctors)

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    To add to the previous 2 points, the third is Health care which is big issue. That is, if you don't have a family doctor, good luck in getting one. Most of my friends who have kids cross the river to ER in CHEO and they go to walking clinics (no family doctors)
    Same can be said about Ottawa. I moved here a little over 3 years ago, still haven't found a family doctor.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    She will have to get her health card changed to medicare and her drivers license changed to a Quebec license , Jarred just recently moved to QC maybe he might know of something else.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Sounds like a ton of hassles to me,thank you to all for the info,if you think of anything else please let me know!!
    Talkin of Jarred, where has he been lately!!

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    It's also possible for her to keep her permanent address in Ottawa (at your house) if she is only moving there temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by kerisb View Post
    Sounds like a ton of hassles to me,thank you to all for the info,if you think of anything else please let me know!!
    She'll like the beer prices and availability
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Oh yeah, and she will need a Quebec safety check on her car.These can only be done at specific sites in Gatineau and not at all service stations and dealers.She can still have her doctor in Ontario and go to Cheo if she has kids.Aylmer is prob. the best place to live right now in this area.It is booming and a lot of Anglophone famillys reside there.Once you get by all this crap its not so bad.Schooling is cheaper and also taxes.We do pay a bit more for personal income taxes but its offset by the price of housing,social benefits(7.00 day daycare) etc..Hope she enjoys her new surroundings and Aylmer is prob.50% english speaking so she will be fine.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    sounds like someone missed me... haha.

Ive been really busy with the new job. working like a madman. (congrats on the new job)... yeah, thanks alot guys.

since I've been here ive had to:

- make an appointment for a new drivers permit becuase apparently in Quebec you can just walk in and get a new one. you have to call ahead to let them know your coming.

- called the MTO to get a history of my driving record to be able to qualify for a quebec permit

- change my insurance, which happens to be cheaper in quebec... how, I have no idea as people can drive for their lives.

- apply for a medicare card for health coverage

- get my car safetied and e-checked.

- buy snow tires (before the rush and to get a better deal as they are the law here)

- buy a bluetooth headset becuase talking on the cell here is 4 points off the license.

and thats it so far........ "so far" until next week.

Hey Jarred, welcome back. Congrats on the new job and moving to another "Country". The more I hear about Quebec the more I am not very fond of it!!!! Seems like tons of things to have to do just to live somewhere, do they do nothing the same way Ontario does. And this is my wee baby we are talking about moving there.
    They have signed a lease for a year so she will be there for a year, actually the other side of Aylmer on the 148. Actually a very,very nice place.

Now if her cars stays registered in Ontario....what are the consequences.
    Also with regards to OHIP the same what are the consequences.
    As of right now there are no kids, but she may inherit 3 or 4 of them by Sept. (a very long complex story) but they attend english school now.
    I am dreading the thought of them moving there, but they are looking very forward to it.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Hey Jarred, welcome back. Congrats on the new job and moving to another "Country". The more I hear about Quebec the more I am not very fond of it!!!! Seems like tons of things to have to do just to live somewhere, do they do nothing the same way Ontario does. And this is my wee baby we are talking about moving there.
    They have signed a lease for a year so she will be there for a year, actually the other side of Aylmer on the 148. Actually a very,very nice place.

Now if her cars stays registered in Ontario....what are the consequences.
    Also with regards to OHIP the same what are the consequences.
    As of right now there are no kids, but she may inherit 3 or 4 of them by Sept. (a very long complex story) but they attend english school now.
    I am dreading the thought of them moving there, but they are looking very forward to it.
    Just keep in mind that whenever you change provinces you will have to deal with many of these issues. Some are unique to Quebec, but many are the norm - drivers licenses, safeties, health cards, insurance, etc. Any major move will require some changes and a period of filling out forms and general complications. I'm sure the benefits of the move will quickly outweigh the inconveniences.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Just keep in mind that whenever you change provinces you will have to deal with many of these issues. Some are unique to Quebec, but many are the norm - drivers licenses, safeties, health cards, insurance, etc. Any major move will require some changes and a period of filling out forms and general complications. I'm sure the benefits of the move will quickly outweigh the inconveniences.
    Finally some words of wisdomThere are pros and cons both ways. No emission test in Québec. Rent, housing,municipal taxes and hydro are a lot cheaper.However personal income taxes are a little higher and so is gas(which is really no biggie as anybody that close can fill up on the other side of the river. You get my vote Jonf
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Now if her cars stays registered in Ontario....what are the consequences. Also with regards to OHIP the same what are the consequences.
    if her car stays registered in ontario she cant get insurance. and if the insurance finds out she has a permenent address in quebec she will get nailed for insurance fraud. same does with the health card stuff... as far as i know.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    The big problem is that she will have to go through all this again when she moves back to Ontario if i read your e-mail correct.Unfortunatly there is no getting away from all the paperwork and it is indeed a hassle but its no better when moving into another province.There are pros and cons on both sides of the river.It all depends how you look at it.The important thing is that they are young and they can handle all the changes and if they are happy with the move then it is O.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    The big problem is that she will have to go through all this again when she moves back to Ontario if i read your e-mail correct.Unfortunatly there is no getting away from all the paperwork and it is indeed a hassle but its no better when moving into another province.There are pros and cons on both sides of the river.It all depends how you look at it.The important thing is that they are young and they can handle all the changes and if they are happy with the move then it is O.K.

Try getting a passport
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Also Kerri--if she does not change his actual car registration to where she is living and (heaven forbid) there is an accident she will be charged with more than insurance fraud; plus if the police notice a Ontario licienced car residing in Quebec-- be prepared. My advice--do it up right. If you are just living there with no children---no problems. I lived in the province for 25 years---the people are great--it's the politics you have to worry about.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar
    On the medical side of things, if she has a family doctor in ontario she can retain those services but must pay up front. It's around $85 for a checkup and some practices are not yet enforcing that rule but I know it's coming.....they started charging all Quebec residents at the centre where I seek medical attention.

They use to do the paper work for you but I guess it's too much of a pain in the rear to get there money from the QC side.

Putter shankedit is on a distinguished road shankedit's Avatar
    Hope she will be able to find Chez Gravel Depanneur easily.Best prices on beer anywhere

Thread Information