CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    6 Iron McG is on a distinguished road

Why do I hit the ball so high?

This is something that has plagued me my whole golf "career" lol.

I hit all my irons too high and lose distance. For instance, I had a shot today where I was about 125 yards from the green. I took out an 8 iron and hit it pretty decent. It landed about a foot short of the green and I'm sure it had to be almost as high as it was long.

Surely I'm not the only one that has this problem. If so, what do you do to correct it?

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    i hit all my clubs very very high but it doesnt effect me distance wise unless there is a strong wind
    it could be one of two things
    one being ball position, bring the ball back in your stance a bit
    second could be your shafts, some irons shafts are made to help get the ball up in the air, i believe dynamic golds do this, others keep it low which i think is black golds
    i use dynamic gold and kt's in my irons and i use high bend/low flight shafts in my woods and driver

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McG View Post
    This is something that has plagued me my whole golf "career" lol.

I hit all my irons too high and lose distance. For instance, I had a shot today where I was about 125 yards from the green. I took out an 8 iron and hit it pretty decent. It landed about a foot short of the green and I'm sure it had to be almost as high as it was long.

Surely I'm not the only one that has this problem. If so, what do you do to correct it?
    I have the same issue as you but I kinda like it. When my ball hits the green, it usually stays within a foot or two of the ball mark. I just compensate by taking more club to make up for the distance. Unfortunately you have to be careful not to hit the ball thin or you go about twice the distance you were looking for
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

7 Iron TP Tomi is on a distinguished road
    Besides maybe having too whipy of a shaft, too much loft, or ball position ..
    You may have a steep swing plane ?

Just a thought ..
    “There is no similarity between golf and putting; they are two different games one played in the air, and the other on the ground.” Ben Hogan ..

whippy shaft would make it balloon more in a wood or driver rather than a wood
    steep swing plane i think would pinch the ball at impact rather than help it in the air
    most likely ball position or someone needs to try some new shafts
    you could even make your irons strong to help as well

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I'm a cronic high ball flight hitter. I am told that it is caused by a steep angle of attack ... in English that means that you hit down on the ball. Don't understand physics but it is said that if you hit down it causes the ball to go up... I believe it but don't understand it. Also, ball position, loft of club, and whether you hit the ball with your hands anhead, at or behind the ball at point of contact all contribute to a higher ball flight. Suggest you pay the bucks and have an analysis done. It is worth it in the long run.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The steeper the angle of attack, the more backspin your ball will have. The greater the backspin, the higher the ball flight.

7 Iron TP Tomi is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by buykrux View Post
    steep swing plane i think would pinch the ball at impact rather than help it in the air
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    The steeper the angle of attack, the more backspin your ball will have. The greater the backspin, the higher the ball flight.
    Thank You !!!

Tomi
    “There is no similarity between golf and putting; they are two different games one played in the air, and the other on the ground.” Ben Hogan ..

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    still the only thing that should really bleed off a lot of distance is overlofting the club.

BigFlopper
    Could be the left wrist breaking down at impact (ie flipping). That will add loft and leak power.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I still hit my irons high but have decent distance (all of them are stiff) and I recently replace my driver with stiffer shaft and that have helped a lot.
    Last edited by 314314; 07-28-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: .

what irons are you using? some irons have weaker lofts

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    Are you sure you are not flipping at impact? This could cause the increase in loft, and decrease in distance. Turning yout 8i to a Pw.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    Are you sure you are not flipping at impact? This could cause the increase in loft, and decrease in distance. Turning yout 8i to a Pw.
    ....I vote with smoothie, your knuckles are probably passing up your wrist at impact thus adding loft also it causes you to decelerate so that you can have the time to move your knuckles ahead of your wrist. Try this to see if this could be the answer, While moving the arms and shoulders at the same time on the start of the backswing fold your knuckles a little back from your wrist at the same time,(just a little). Your wrist will look a bit convex(bowed) while moving away from the ball. Swing to the top of your backswing normally, on the downswing try to keep your wrist position with your knuckles a little behind your wrist thru impact. I think you can do this after a few swings ( O.k. maybe about 10!!) The ball should go lower and have a bit more compression. If you just can't do this chances are good that your collapsing your wrist at impact and will have to work to get out of that habit.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McG View Post
    I hit all my irons too high and lose distance. For instance, I had a shot today where I was about 125 yards from the green. I took out an 8 iron and hit it pretty decent.
    Define "too high" and why do you think 125 yards is too short?

I hit my 8i about 140 in flat, no-wind conditions. Forum member Bouche hits his 8i something stupid like 180 yards.

There is no universal distance for how far/high an 8i should go. It depends greatly on your swing speed, angle of attack, and clubhead loft.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

jvincent very true
    i hit my ping eye2 8 iron 170 and my mp57 8 iron about 140
    as long as there in tight who cares how far they go
    but being a high ball hitter myself, windy days are the devil

Driver tacks451 is on a distinguished road tacks451's Avatar
    I hit mine low because I learned to play in the wind!!!!

bbad
    I'd have to agree with the comment about who cares how far you hit it...so long as you can hit it repeatedly the same distance, who cares...

When you're throwing darts at 125 with an 8 iron and you're buddies are having to scramble from around the green with their wedge, who do you think is in the better situation? I'll take yours anytime..

As an aside, you might want to learn how to hit the ball lower, for when that nasty stuff called "wind" comes along. And as stupid as this sounds, you won't get a lot more distance when you hit the ball lower, as you probably will spin the ball on the green a whole lot more. I can hit it either high or low, and don't really notice that much of a difference between the two (from a yardage perspective). Stock 8 iron high flight is about 155 - low ball flight is about 160.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I have a new hi-def camcorder and decided to let the girlfriend take some video of me swinging at some foam practice balls in the yard.

I noticed three things right away.

My swing speed is quite slow. I thought I was coming onto the ball pretty good. Nope. This explains my short distance.

Both my feet stay solid on the ground even during follow through. I'm RH which means my right foot should pull up with the follow through. And I've been wondering why my back hurts after golf. Sheesh.

My left arm bends way too much on the backswing. Way, way too much. I'd almost say 70 degrees.

I have a lot to work on it seems........

Quote Originally Posted by buykrux View Post
    what irons are you using? some irons have weaker lofts
    I'm using a set of Adams A3 os irons.

check the lofts on them compared to other sets
    i know my mizunos are i believe 2-3* weaker in my low irons compared to my pings
    but i also have dynamic golds in the mizunos and kt's in the pings

Thread Information