+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

"Practice Rounds"

From Matt MacKay - RCGA pg 26 "Golf Canada" July 2008

Q - Can player determine beforehand that his round is merely a "practice" round and not post the score to his handicap scoring record?

A - NO. the handicap system does not contemplate the notion of a practice round. All acceptable scores must be posted to the player's handicap scoring record. Subjectivity in determining what scores get posted completely undermines the handicap system.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

Q - Can player determine beforehand that his round is merely a "practice" round and not post the score to his handicap scoring record?

A - NO. the handicap system does not contemplate the notion of a practice round. All acceptable scores must be posted to the player's handicap scoring record. Subjectivity in determining what scores get posted completely undermines the handicap system.
    OK. But obviously the term "acceptable score" plays into the notion that players will sometimes play two or three shots off tees and take practice chips and putts. In the end, it IS a practice round that won't count on your handicap, but from now on we should call it an "unacceptable score."

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

Yes, it seems to me that Matt needs to clarify his idea of what constitutes a "practice" round. If he's thinking a practice round is merely a round of golf played by the rules in which the player just wants to "practice" playing, then it would seem relatively reasonable.

However, what is his take if a player is breaking multiple rules on every hole, taking practice strokes, dropping balls illegally, playing second, third and fourth balls on holes and various other things done during a practice round. Technically, many of the things done during a practice round aren't even close to golfing by the rules, not least of which is not keeping track of the score, therefore not being able to attest to the exact number of strokes taken.

Cheers,
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    To me, if you are hitting multiple balls, practicing chips on the course, practicing putts from all areas of the greens and not keeping score while traversing 18 holes (or less or more), that is a practice round.
    If you are playing one ball and keeping score then no, you cannot declare it a practice round. However many times I go on my home course as a single in the evening and play multiple balls off the tees and into the greens, jump from hole to hole etc. Is there something in the rules that says if you are on an official golf course that you 'have' to play a round?
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    it should be against the course rules to "practice" on their course unless there is a big tourney coming up and then its ok.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You're kidding, right?

I cannot recall any course, of which I had been a member, that prevented its members from practicing on the course so long as it did not slow up play, or endanger anyone on the course. This was especially true on Saturday and Sunday evenings when there were not too many people on the course. That was also the case for early (tee off before 6 a.m.) morning rounds. In fact, when I played in Amherst, Nova Scotia, it was not uncommon for me to tee off at 5:30 a.m. and play 9 holes, hitting two balls on each hole. In effect, I played against myself. You'd be surprised how quickly your game will improve doing that. Best of all, you can easily finish in less than an hour and 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    it should be against the course rules to "practice" on their course unless there is a big tourney coming up and then its ok.

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    this is my theory
    practice rounds occur AFTER 6pm
    these rounds consist of usually a cart and mulitple balls from each tee and from each second shot etc.
    atleast thats what i do

Thread Information