CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Super Stroke Putter Grip

After seeing one of these on a putter belonging to KJ Choi a while back, I've had the dying urge to try one. So I finally found a used one that a guy was willing to swap for. Installed it on my putter and finally got a round in with it.

Super Stroke Putter Grip

First impressions:

This thing is huge. Biggest putter grip I've ever used, and I like big putter grips. It's a hard plastic with slightly rescessed circles to give it some texture for added gripping ability. It's quite heavy as well. Even though it's made from plastic, it has a metal lining inside it.

Installation:

One of the benefits of this putter is it allows customization. If you have a 33" putter and want to play it at 35", no extension is required. The grip comes with a built in extension. Granted I wanted my 35" putter to play to 35", so installation was a breeze. I'm not sure how hard it would be to use the extension insert. As for my installation, just cut off the old grip, put on the Super Stroke, seat the grip properly, align the grip as you like (flat side up, down, left, right...), tighten down the tension screws along the side of the putter. The whole process might've taken me 15 minutes, just to get the alignment right.

In play:

Although I've only played one round, I have to admit I'm quite impressed with the grip. With the added weight of the grip, it does make the putter feel a little light in the head. I plan on adding some lead tape to help with this. So my speed was a little off today trying to fight the different weight feel. Although the grip lacks a bit of feedback, due to the large size and metal insert, the grip does do as promised. It takes the wrists out of the stroke. No flipping or breaking down of the wrist. Once I picked my line, putts started there every time. If I missed a putt today, it was due to a poor read or poor pace. I always hit my intended line.

I'm really looking forward to getting the putter feeling as I'd like after adding some lead tape. Once that is done, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this grip performs after a few more rounds.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    curious, did you install to ensure it conforms with the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by golfott View Post
    curious, did you install to ensure it conforms with the rules?

Yup, not going to bother with re-gripping this putter. But I find that rather stupid that you have to put glue in the piercing screw slots to make it conforming. You'd think, just like any other piece of equipment, you'd have to wait until the end of your round to make any repairs or adjustments. I don't get how the glue makes it conforming.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

me either, you do not have to "glue in" weights on a club or anything, so not sure why needed here.
    '
    I thin it would be pretty obvious if someone had a allan key out and fiddling with putter grip

Monday Qualifier Drew is on a distinguished road

Grip

I have beeen dying to try that grip. Hope you will post an update after a few rounds!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    how long before its in the classified section? PM before you list it please
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    What kind of putter did you put it on, Geoff?

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman View Post
    What kind of putter did you put it on, Geoff?
    Scotty Cameron Futura

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Scotty Cameron Futura
    So do you have a before/after comparison of the futura with the new grip? were you having yip/wristy issues prior? Or just an interesting experiment borne of curiosity?

Rob

Bouche
    He had put it on the day after he baught the putter

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman View Post
    So do you have a before/after comparison of the futura with the new grip? were you having yip/wristy issues prior? Or just an interesting experiment borne of curiosity?

Rob

More of an experiment. I find I do pull the odd putt, but not that often. Putting is usually one of the strong points of my game.

Played my second round with the SuperStroke/Futura set up on Sunday. All of my original observations about the set up were re-enforced Sunday. Only difference I found was on longer putts. Since I haven't added any leadtape to the putter head yet, it's still a little light, so I still get a little stabby on the longer putts trying to get the speed right. I sent a few putts a little bit further past the hole than I wanted, but the short and mid-range putts were solid. Just point and shoot.
    Anyone who's quite handsy/wristy with their putting stroke, this is the ticket for you. The newer and softer feeling SS is even a bit bigger than the original, so it should help even more.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    how much tape do you need to put on it to make it right?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    how much tape do you need to put on it to make it right?

None, it goes on with three screws down each side. Just put the grip on, tighten the screws, you're good to go.

After another solid putting day, I'm sold on this grip. Once again putts started on my intended line, whether or not it was the correct line is irrelevant, but I haven't pushed or pulled a putt in three rounds with this grip.

is it the older model you have? i have not been to GT in a while, do you know if they have the new model in yet?

is it the older model you have? i have not been to GT in a while, do you know if they have the new model in yet?

Yes, mine is the original all plastic model. Not sure if GT carries the new model yet, but I'm pretty sure Golfworks has the newer ones in stock.

BG458

If you really want it I think Golfworks has it and if I am right I think its $20 cheaper there, but call first.

After another solid round with the putter on Monday (28 putts) I'm really sold on this set up. I even had a few long putts, 20-30ft range and lagged everyone up close to the hole, and even almost sunk a few. Truly an awesome product.

Bouche
    WOW Geoff! You mean you might keep that club for a while?!!? Im loving the putter you gave me for my futura. That pipe really helps my allignment. Good Trade! Keep it up

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Nice work Geoff!

Keep an eye on the set screws. A buddy of mine has one on his Futura also and the screws came loose on him quite a bit.

Unfortunately the no three putt streak came to an end on Saturday. But it wasn't without it's difficulty. Hit a par three green, from 190 out, but the flag was back left, and with the left to right breeze, my tee shot came to rest on the right front.

Uphill, from about 45-50ft away, and what I thought was a left to right breaker (it wasn't, right to left actually), left me with a tricky sidehill 8fter for par. Unfortunately I didn't make it, but looking back, it was a really tough putt.

So one three putt in 5 rounds is pretty good in my books, considering the length of some of the putts I've had. But still, everything starts on my intended line. I still have yet to push or pull a putt, which is even more astounding than the reduction in three putts.

And I've actually decided to not add any lead tape to the putter head. Even with the slighter lighter feeling putter head, I'm still putting extremely well.

9 Iron N.V.M. is on a distinguished road
    i bought and tried one about a year ago. it's in my closet collecting dust.

Thread Information