100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shafts

3 Wood jimrobin is on a distinguished road

Shafts

Quick question for the shaft experts?
    I have a choice, (steel shafts both with the same Reg. flex) Precision Rifles or True Temper Dynamic Golds.
    Is one better than the other? If so, why?

Thanks

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrobin
    Quick question for the shaft experts?
    I have a choice, (steel shafts both with the same Reg. flex) Precision Rifles or True Temper Dynamic Golds.
    Is one better than the other? If so, why?

Thanks
    Well you've picked the cream of the crop in steel shafts.

It's like trying to choose between a Jaguar and a Mercedes. You don't know until you take them for a test drive. The advantage with steel is that it's inexpensive so you could have a club shafted with each and try them out that way.

There's just no fair way to compare without trying them. IMHO.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

my 0.002 cents

One is weight sorted the other one frequency matched. I would go for the Rifles. What frequency are you looking at Jim?

Shafts

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    One is weight sorted the other one frequency matched. I would go for the Rifles. What frequency are you looking at Jim?
    WHAT?????
    I have 60Hz in my wall plugs. Sorry Andre but.... that's the only frequency I know.

I'm looking at making my own combo set once again.
    My TaylorMade RAC LT's have TT Dyn Golds R300, and I found a couple of
    TaylorMade RAC OS's long irons with Rifles 5.0 in them.

I guess my question should be...
    How big of a difference will I notice (remembering that the heads will be slightly different also)? And if big, which ones should I changed them all too?
    Obviously if I change them too the TT Dyn Golds I only have to change 2 clubs instead of 6.
    Thanks again.

??????

Jim. All your answers are in this article. Please read the articles on frequency.
    http://www.ottawagolf.com/swingsync/index.htm You don't have to have your clubs put up with one single frequency however it is best to have a frequency matched set of clubs.
    Once you understand the principle you'd have to have someone check the frequencies on each and every club. I myself like Rifle shafts better for that reason and better yet they (imo) are easier on the hands.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    The choice in shafts that you make will probably result in some differences in feel and trajectory of your irons. If you hit a high ball with your irons then the TTDG may be better for you, while if you want increased trajectory, then go with the Rifles. Because of the stepless structure of the Rifles they feel more like graphite which apparently makes them better at absorbing shock before it gets to your hands. If you practice a lot, the Rifles will be better on your arms.

If you are going to take the time to build the clubs for yourself then having them match more closely, one club to the next, should be a goal. The Rifles will do this as they are frequency matched at the factory, whereas the TTDG are merely weight sorted, with the theory that shafts of the same weight are the same flex, which in practice is not true. The Rifles though, are more expensive.

It is also important that you select the appropriate Rifle flex number before making your purchase. You can find this information on the Royal Precision website, but if your 5 iron carry is between 148 and 167 yards, go 5.0/5.5, which is their R and R+ flexes. Between 168 and 186 yards, 6.0/6.5, S and S+, and between 187 and 206 yards, 7.0/7.5, X and X+ flexes. The tempo of your swing determines which of the two choices in each flex range that you should chose. If a smooth tempo chose the 5.0, 6.0 or the 7.0. If a fast tempo, chose the 5.5, 6.5 or 7.5.

If you buy the Rifle shafts precut and frequencied, there will be a constant difference of 4.3 cpm's between clubs. Some golfers prefer that the difference in flex between clubs be less or nothing, as is the case with the clubs assembled by Eric Cook at Swing Sync. This gives the shorter irons a lot more feel. The latter two possibilities require that the shafts be raw blanks that can be frequencied to what flex difference you want. These Rifle blanks are available occasionally through various distributors, at a very small fraction of the usual going price. If you chose TT shafts, then, obviously they come uncut, and can be frequencied to whatever you want.

There are other stepless shafts which are as good as the Rifles. Harrison Professional steel is one that comes to mind.

Thumbs up could not agree more

Well said BC Mist. I could not agree more.There is also other quality stepless shafts out there.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Well said BC Mist. I could not agree more.There is also other quality stepless shafts out there.
    Like the Mercury's?

Thumbs up correct

exactly

thanks

Lads:
    Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

What frequency are you looking at Jim?
    Sorry Andre I didn't realize "Frequency" was another term for "shaft stiffness" and matching that. Now I know.

Jim

Thread Information