100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slow play!!!

Putter dougheg is on a distinguished road

Slow play!!!

If there is a clear hole ahead -pick up the pace. If there are 2 clear holes - pick up and move to the next tee. If there are 3 clear holes - take up another hobby. Played behind a 4some at Greensmere on Saturday morning. It was a painful 5 hour round on a course that was not busy. Started on Gold and by hole number 3, the group ahead was already 2 holes behind. Keep up with the group ahead.
    Has the 4 and quarter round disappeared?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Where were the marshalls?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    That's not normal at that course. Not sure I've ever had even a 4.5 hour round at Greensmere and I've played there a lot.

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    We had a slow foursome ahead of us Saturday. We were at Casselview and Bouche did have a chat with the marshal, that did nothing then the owner after the round. If everyone is slow maybe due a to a small tourney on the course or something, it can happen but still it shouldn't happen point.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Pitching Wedge Mick-Mulli is on a distinguished road
    I can't stand slow play, i had a 5 hour + round last month at the canadian. It was painful.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    My favourite was at Manderly this week... 5 hour round at twilight, just barely beat the dark. Started the round with nobody ahead of me. By the time I got to hole #3, I'd caught up to the people in front. They let me play through on #4, and I proceeded to catch the group ahead on #5, who invited me to join... since the 3some group infront of them was horrendously slow and showed no inclination of letting anyone past.

We hopped on a different 9 than them for our back nine, but even that failed when they cut across or got turned around and ended up playing most of our 9. Another 2-some caught up behind us on 16, so we played as a 5-some for the remainder of the round. Even then, we still had to wait on 17 and 18 for the 3some group ahead...

My personal experience is the time of day matters. Play in the morning, and you can expect 4-4:30 rounds on a decently busy course. Play in the evening, and 4:45-5 seems guaranteed unless the course is empty.

Bouche
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    We had a slow foursome ahead of us Saturday. We were at Casselview and Bouche did have a chat with the marshal, that did nothing then the owner after the round. If everyone is slow maybe due a to a small tourney on the course or something, it can happen but still it shouldn't happen point.
    For us, it took us 5 hours!

Adding to Bullets point, the first time we saw a marshall (on a saturday morning!) was on #14 and he drove past us. We knew it had been slow but we didnt realize it was the group right infront of us untill the 15th green when we saw the group ahead of them on 18 tee. When we waved the marshall down on 16th we notified him and he didnt even go talk to the group he just drove away!

I was ready to snap! Anyways the fact that this group got away scotch free is all because the marshall failed to do his job. Marshalls need to understand there policing duties on a golf course and stop socializing.

Im sure they have had problems with this marshall before because when I talked to the owner he was very understanding that I was frustrated and it seemed like he was going to tell the marshall to pull up his socks. I saw a posting for a new marshall and I think when Claude hires the new marshall...that marshall from saturday will be going. I so hope this guy is getting the boot because if I see him the next time im there ill be giving him the boot!

Putter dougheg is on a distinguished road
    There are no marshalls at Greensmere - only a "teenage" starter on the Gold nine and only on weekends.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    They do have a marshal on most days and that teenager is a very good worker. The pace of play on the gold nine is slower than the other two nines as you probably found out as there are many balls being lost left, right and in the water. I'm happy if I can get through that nine without losing at least one or two. The pace is usually much better at Greensmere than I've found at most courses. It's the odd day to get a five hour round. If we play the white/black combination on a Saturday morning it will average 2 hrs. 10 minutes for the white and 2 hrs. 15 for the black and that's due to the climb on one hole followed by a long walk to the following tee.

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    I played a round a few weeks ago where my friend and I caught up to a group of drunk golfers who didn't seem to want to let us play through. The only time we saw the marshal was when he was chipping on the green two holes behind us. When we got to the 12th hole, one of the guys was teeing his ball on a beer can. Once he hit the ball I had had enough. Here they were slowing us up, and wasting beer!

Once I made my opinion of them known, they decided to let us through. Never was able to find the marshal to talk to him though, I guess he was too busy working on his game.

2 Iron Golfy Kid is on a distinguished road Golfy Kid's Avatar
    I played last week with 3 friends @ Anderson Links (Twilight 4pm-close)
    The group in front of us were 4some with 2 carts & playing from the blue tees.
    Young kids having fun but PLEASE pick up the pace. Took them about 45 minutes to get on the 3 hole.
    I called the Pro-shop & ask them politly to send a marshall.
    The marshall had a little chat with the group & no more slow pace.
    He even came twice to check on them.

Had a great time after that but lost a challenge by 1 putt
    If your golf swings feels natural you're doing it wrong

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I am a clublink member and the other day, which we normally do, we jokingly gave the marshal a hard time about the pace of play. He then informed us that the pace of play at Kanata is now 4 hrs 20 mins. I thought that this is ridiculous, rounds were 4hrs20mins when people were expected to play in 4 hrs. Now that they have set the standard of 4hrs20mins the rounds are lasting even longer. I just don't understand the "new" pace of play. When I was younger if it took you longer than 4hrs it was because you stopped to fish in a pond. I find the pace of play now to be absolutely ridiculous.

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    I played Hammond on Monday. We got a refund after the fifth hole...we had already been golfing 2hrs!

Pace of play is simply a lack of basic common courtesy. As long as everyone has an excuse for "mindinthebackside" syndrome and everyone else has to act "enlightened and accepting" there is no end in sight. I mean, just take your car for a drive in traffic and watch as adults' behaviour is worse than childrens'.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I'm no fan of slow play either, but come on folks, the last thing you want is to have your round spoiled because you were upset at the pace of play. Agreed, anything over 5 hours is way too long, particularly if you're doing a twilight round and trying to finish before dark.
    But am I the only one who, once done my Saturday morning round, is then off to cut the grass, clean out the shed, hold my wife's purse while she shops etc. or some other mundane domestic chore? Everyone's life after golf is so great they can't wait to leave the course?
    I'm not condoning slow play, just trying to keep things in perspective
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Wow Shivas your weekends sound exactrly like mine.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Pitching Wedge Mick-Mulli is on a distinguished road
    I think it is almost impossible to get away from slow play on weekends due to the nature of the sport. There will always be slow play no matter what cause there will always be newer golfers. What courses should do is not book tee-times so close. But i realize they all want as much business as possible, but i also think that un-happy golfers will ultimatley lead to less business in the long run. Because it is the golfers that golf more that will return to the course more than the newer golfers who get out 4 times a year. And it is hard to not get upset about slow play when you spend more time standing around then actually playing. In the end it is hard for everyone golfer and course management to meet at a happy place......so all we can do is hope for the best and stay positive about this wonderful sport.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Wow Shivas your weekends sound exactrly like mine.
    We're just living the dream Weazl!!!

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    I don't think making tee times further apart would help that much; I've teed off as a 4-some before with decent golfers and caught a 4-some in carts that were 3 holes ahead of us at the start; by the 8th hole, we were on top of them. The best solution is for beginning golfers to learn etiquette and pace-maintaining habits, but that only tends to come if they play with a better player who makes the effort to help them out.

7 Iron Seanemmetttimot is on a distinguished road
    The problem will all of this discussion is no one is hitting the nail on the head of the problem. Slow play will always be prevalent when signs on EVERY course say 4:30 (or 4:20). I can walk any course in less than 4 hours. I can shoot 75 or 95 in less 4 hours or less walking.....

Slow players do not care that they have a 2 hole gap open in front of them because they are oblivious to it......they look at their watch and think oh I am on pace for 4.5 hours. My wife always asks me what time I will be back (I'm one of those nuts who actually likes to show up early if possible and hit balls and chip and putt so I usually leave quite early) and I always answer back it's not up to me, it's up to the morons in front of me.

A lot of courses I get the opinion, the staff does not really care about the pace of play. Have YOU EVER been to a course where someone was told to pick up their ball and move to the next tee? I'm amazed at the stories about marshall's actually doing something. Usually the marshall is a senior member who gets free golf in compensation and rides around the course (usually showing up when you are about to tee off on a hole--me at Timber Ridge two weeks ago).

The bigger issue is a lot of golf courses are hurting for money. A golfer comes to your course, gives you money to play your course and now you are going to go out and tell him/her to hurry the blank up???? It's a difficult decision to actually do something.

The time of day is usually indicative of the pace of play. If I tee off early (before 7:30-8) I expect pace to be fast. If I tee off after 1 I have no pace expectations. Once twilight starts good luck. It's funny because I think hey it's cheap and we're trying to beat the darkness......why are you looking for your $0.50 Canada Cup ball when it's 100 yards deep in the woods.

The only hope for slow play relief is that the best player ever (TWoods for those from another planet) has publicly commented on slow play.

All ranting rambling aside........the 4.5 hour round is a myth. It's pace of play we should care about. You should be BEHIND the group ahead of you NOT IN FRONT OF THE GROUP BEHIND YOU.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The only hope for slow play relief is that the best player ever (TWoods for those from another planet) has publicly commented on slow play.
    Like that would help.

The Masters slots 4.5 hrs for the final twosome on Sunday (2:25 - 7:00) They don't always finish on time, and never finish early. Granted it's a zoo out there, but they virtually never have to look for a ball, hit a provisional or walk back to the tee.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    If you want a less than 4 hour round, go to Cloverdale after 3pm on a Saturday or Sunday. Usually this is the best time and it's empty. Mind you, since Anderson opened Cloverdale is usually pretty quiet. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are usually very quiet after 4 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Like that would help.

The Masters slots 4.5 hrs for the final twosome on Sunday (2:25 - 7:00) They don't always finish on time, and never finish early. Granted it's a zoo out there, but they virtually never have to look for a ball, hit a provisional or walk back to the tee.
    There's a HUGE difference in rounds that we (or at least I) play and the Masters or any other Major tournament. If I miss a putt it may cost me a few dollars, if those guys miss a putt it can cost them $500,000. On the pro side of things I am on the other side of the coin (I do believe they should speed up but) I think it's absolutely ridiculous that some guy with a walkie talkie can walk up the last group of a major and tell them they are on the clock..........is someone waiting for them?

That hack (I can call people hacks because I am one myself) in front of me who is in the foursome that walks down the fairway together to each player's ball or drives over to one players ball in their cart, then to the other person's ball instead of taking clubs and getting out need to speed up. Let's all stand around the hole and jump up and down as we all mark and remark 3 and 4 footers.........

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    My post was tounge in cheek. Simply pointing out that pros are used to 4.5 to 6 hour rounds.

I doubt Tiger has played many $40 public courses recently so he is unlikely to speak out about slow play unlless asked to (paid) by the USGA or some such. Even if that unlikley scenario came to pass it would not help the pace of play any at all.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    My post was tounge in cheek. Simply pointing out that pros are used to 4.5 to 6 hour rounds.

I doubt Tiger has played many $40 public courses recently so he is unlikely to speak out about slow play unlless asked to (paid) by the USGA or some such. Even if that unlikley scenario came to pass it would not help the pace of play any at all.
    No worries Dan. Having a job in the golf industry (no I do not get to golf every day like most people think), I have spent a bit of time on the range and the course on the PGA tour. The two things I have taken away from these experiences are A. Like the AD these guys are good and B. they are really good because they can sit and wait and wait and wait and wait and then stand up and hit that 220 yard shot over water over a bunker to a tight pin on the sweet spot.

Some of the guys out there do work very hard and beat a million balls a day. My golfing buddy and I have made pacts to try to deal with the slow play better this year than in previous years (I'm doing better than him in case anyone is scoring at home). He jokingly said what you need to do to prepare is go to the range, hit a shot, walk back to your car, sit down for 10 minutes, then walk back out and hit a shot. LOL.

And Tiger did come out and talk about the slow pace of play on the PGA tour a month or two ago. A lot of that has to do with the conditions of the courses out there or the tournament (major, etc.). High rough, fast greens, narrow fairways or driveable par 4s, reachable par 5s slow down the game for the pros.

I think with slow play we just have to take it for what it is....seems just in the past 10 years or so that I have been playing more and more golf there is less and less etiquette and even the check in at the pro shop is a lot different than it used to be. I can remember going to courses and the person at the counter telling me all about the course and what to look for on #3 and #12 etc. Even the starter. Now it's sometimes like herding cattle out there.

7 Iron ForeontheFloor is on a distinguished road
    Am I the only golfer out there that doesn't mind slow play. The more time I can spend at a course the better. That being said I do play ready golf and will hit out of turn if a playing partner has hit a bad shot and has to walk to their ball. I don't to hold people up but don't get ** if we catch up to people.
    When I golf I have the day cleared so that there is nowhere that I have to be.

I think I have some good reasons to make golf rounds longer

1. You are not at work
    2. Your out in the fresh air
    3. Your with friends
    4. You get to drive one of those cool little cars
    5. A good looking young woman chases you down and offers you booze
    6. Your golfing

What's the rush?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeontheFloor View Post
    Am I the only golfer out there that doesn't mind slow play.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeontheFloor View Post
    The more time I can spend at a course the better. I think I have some good reasons to make golf rounds longer
    1. You are not at work
    2. Your out in the fresh air
    3. Your with friends
    4. You get to drive one of those cool little cars
    5. A good looking young woman chases you down and offers you booze
    6. Your golfing
    What's the rush?

Great attitude, you can golf with me anytime.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Hate slow play? Retire

Seriously, tee off within the first hour of the course opening and you will not have any issues with slow play.

I used to play early every weekend morning for 6 years straight and not once did we have a slow round.

Or play late in the afternoon during the week.

There is no point of whining about slow play. It will never go away. No course owner will kick off slow players as they know if they do they'll never see them again. Lost revenue is not what you want for a course.

4 Iron DewDuster is on a distinguished road
    One of the nice benefits of a private club is you rarely have to deal with slow play. 4 hours is the expected pace of play for a round. There are no marshalls, members just know what is expected. I guess it also helps to know management can scold people if necessary without the worry of financial repercussions.

Funny thing is you would expect some of the older folks to slow everyone down but it's the exact opposite. I could be playing behind a foursome of senior ladies and the last I'll see of them is the first tee.

I don't need to speed through a round, but golf is a time consuming game and it's a tough sell to be away from the family for too long. A 4 hour round vs. a 5.5 hour round does help in keeping everyone happier at home.

All about expectations though. I just played in a 6 hour tournament at the Canadian and wasn't the least bit bothered at all. If that happened on a weekend casual round, I'm pretty sure I'd end up in jail.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DewDuster View Post
    I don't need to speed through a round, but golf is a time consuming game and it's a tough sell to be away from the family for too long. A 4 hour round vs. a 5.5 hour round does help in keeping everyone happier at home.
    Agreed. We tee-off at around 7:00 each Sunday with the intention of being home for lunch. I cannot recall a time when our round was longer than 4 hours...I certainly do not miss it.

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar
    Just had an idea... How about a poster at each golf course that addresses "slow play".

Some courses are tough, some aren't. If you knew how they dealt with "slow play" then you could decide where you want to play.

I'd like to see a standard adopted at either the owner's level or the RCGA -- Although the RCGA doesn't enforce ettiquette.
    Thanks for the screen-time.

Thread Information