CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

"Getting Stuck/Blocking"

If you have an inside approach to the ball, but are "getting stuck" or blocking your shots to the right, should they be straight out to the right or should they slice?

I feel as though I am not coming over the top yet I still slice every now and then. But if getting stuck or blocking shots mean the ball should be going straight but right of your intended target, whereas some of mine are slicing, then perhaps I am still coming over the top.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    If you have an inside approach to the ball, but are "getting stuck" or blocking your shots to the right, should they be straight out to the right or should they slice?

I feel as though I am not coming over the top yet I still slice every now and then. But if getting stuck or blocking shots mean the ball should be going straight but right of your intended target, whereas some of mine are slicing, then perhaps I am still coming over the top.
    Don't worry about what the ball should do when you get stuck. Get unstuck.

Your problem is, most likely, that instead of rotating your hips into a full finish, your lower body is moving laterally into the ball and, inevitably, you lose your spine angle and "come out of" the shot. Basically, because your hips stop rotating, you end up coming up out of your posture and the only thing the club can do is stay open and the ball shoots right.

Of course, this all hinges on you making a full and proper rotation on the backswing...

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    "Blocked" shots start right of the target (for righties). If the ball goes farther right, then your clubface is slightly open at contact. If you indeed have an inside to square to inside path, you're probably "sliding" your weight into contact rather than "shifting", causing an inside to outside path. If your clubface were slightly closed, you'd probably hit a draw.
    What I suggest is to cut down your swing to half swings and see what the flight difference is. If it's now going straight, the problem is prob your weight shift. Gradually increase your turn to 3/4 swings and see if it's still straight. You'll get the feeling what the proper shift is and the timing of the turn.

Well the getting stuck and blocking wasn't an issue today. Today it was the pulls.....go figure.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Well the getting stuck and blocking wasn't an issue today. Today it was the pulls.....go figure.
    Hey Geoff, I had the same problem yesterday. Played in a charity event and only did pitches, chips and putts. Every single pitch was pulled. But I know what my problem was......I haven't hit a golfball since October! Can you spell "lack of practice"?

Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    Hey Geoff, I had the same problem yesterday. Played in a charity event and only did pitches, chips and putts. Every single pitch was pulled. But I know what my problem was......I haven't hit a golfball since October! Can you spell "lack of practice"?

My issue isn't lack of practice, and I wish it was only chips. I haven't been down the left side of a golf course so much since I used to hit my draw about 4-5yrs ago.

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    finish your swing.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Finishing my swing

Quote Originally Posted by buykrux View Post
    finish your swing.
    Interesting thread as I seem to have developed this problem in the last few weeks. Shot an 80 at Anderson Links and felt great. Since then though I am having all kinds of problems with my swing. Fluid (as it can be) on the practice but when it comes to the actual shot it seems like I am stopping at the ball and even felt like I was in a reverse pivot (weight on the back leg at impact) yesterday. Having trouble finishing my swing all of a sudden. I may be doing all the things mentioned in this thread but I feel like when I put the ball infront of the club that my swing changes and I swing TO the ball rather than through it. Is there a "cure" for this?

Now this is starting to get weird. I'm now drawing my 4 wd, but still hit my driver either straight/fade/slice.

What gives?

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Ball flight and physics don't lie. Does the 4w start on the same path as driver? If so then the 4w head is simply coming into the ball more closed than the driver. If the start of the ball flights are different, then swing plane or contact point in the swing plane is different.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Geoff, I have a lot of the same problems as you are describing. The one thought I try and have during my downswing now is "turn the hips." I used to sway back and forward and have been trying to change it. This does seem to help. My "1,2" thought is "left arm straight, turn the hips."

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    Geoff, I have a lot of the same problems as you are describing. The one thought I try and have during my downswing now is "turn the hips." I used to sway back and forward and have been trying to change it. This does seem to help. My "1,2" thought is "left arm straight, turn the hips."
    Interesting! I am just reading an article by Padrig Harrington in the Sept Golf Digest. He also talks about hips turning in his swing thoughts. Glad to see we share something with PH, if not his game.

Thread Information