CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Which would be the bigger golf story of the year?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tiger Woods wins the US Open "playing on one leg"

3 9.68%
  • Greg Norman wins the British Open at 53 years of age

28 90.32%
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

Bigger Story: Woods wins US Open on one leg / Norman wins British Open

In the unlikely event that Greg Norman is somehow able to hold on (early days yet), which do you think would be the biggest golf story of the year?

Tiger Woods, "playing on one leg", beats Rocco Mediate on the 19th hole of a playoff to win the US Open.

Greg Norman, 53 years old, only plays a handful of tournaments each year, just got re-married and just gave away over $100 million to his ex-wife, wins the British Open.

7 Wood Itchy is on a distinguished road Itchy's Avatar
    How about Duval and Norman together tomorrow in the final pairing. This is all a little too 1992 to for me.
    I golf therfore I swear

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Not going to happen, as KJ Choi birdied 17 and 18 to take the lead at -1.

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    Norman will steal all the thunder if he wins. Not unlike Jack's last win at Augusta.
    Tiger's already got a laundry list of impossible feats to be in awe over.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    It's not even close...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

I wonder, if the Shark does win and Jim Nantz was doing the commentary, would he call the victory "A win for the aged!"

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macspesh View Post
    Norman will steal all the thunder if he wins. Not unlike Jack's last win at Augusta.
    If Norman were to win, which would be the greater victory: Jack winning the Masters at age 46 or Norman winning the Open Championship at age 53?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy963 View Post
    If Norman were to win, which would be the greater victory: Jack winning the Masters at age 46 or Norman winning the Open Championship at age 53?
    Wow... That's a good one. Jack is... well... Jack so it's hard to not go with the '86 masters for that reason alone. But... Norman is FIFTY THREE years old. I'd have to go with Norman.

As a huge Norman fan, I would absolutely LOVE to have this debate on Sunday evening.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy963 View Post

Considering the conditions they've had to play through so far, I'd have to say Norman winning would be a greater victory.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    That all depends how much you believe about Tiger's injury...

You can't question Norma's age, how much he plays, and how long it has been since he played serious, competitive golf.

So Norman winning would have to be the bigger story and surprise.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Arrgghhh.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I vote for Norman's victory... Which would be awesome, but time will tell if he can pull it off.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I am a huge Tiger fan but I would say the Norman victory would be the biggest feat

I was really hoping to see Norman and Duval in the last grouping tomorrow..... but it would be even sweeter to see it on Sunday with a 1, 2 finish
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post

ROFLMAO your head is still burried in the sand huh!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

7 Iron TP Tomi is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    How about Duval and Norman together tomorrow in the final pairing. This is all a little too 1992 to for me.
    I just mentioned that to a friend on the phone. That would be unreal.
    And just as I say that, Norman blows a birdie putt off the back of the green. Wonderful!

Welp .. lots of golf left. I'm rooting for that pairing in the final round myself.
    In regards to who the bigger story would be, I believe it all comes down to what happens in terms of how Norman does it.

With that being said .. Norman jams in the par putt from off the green for par ..
    Imagine that .. woah, it stays interesting afterall!

Tomi

7 Iron ForeontheFloor is on a distinguished road
    I am not sure I agree the Norman winning is such a big deal. He is in great shape. The technology today means he is still long off the tee. A new wife will do wonders for a guy after a messy divorce. He has nothing to lose. He is happy. He knows how to play this course. Oh.. and he's Greg Norman. When he wins I will raise a big glass of screech and say no worries.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    if norman wins the open it will be up their with daly and omet. In my mind those Are the two most unlikely
    open winners ever and this would be damn close but the shark is a seasoned vet. One was an amateur and the other was an alternate... Norman over tiger and jack hands down but not over daly and omet
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Norman is far more than just a seasoned vet. He was world #1 for a long stretch in the 90's

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I would love to see Greg win I took the poll as literal. If Tiger literally only had one leg then it would be bigger news. What can I say? It was early.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Tiger's U.S. Open win will go down as just one of the many dramatic victories he has pulled out. He somehow has a flair for the dramatic... (I'm trying to say this without making Dan bang his head against the wall ).
    Norman would not only be the oldest person to win a major - by far - he would erase a lot of ghosts. His reputation as a choker would be forever forgotten if he can pull it off tomorrow. And even if he cannot, he has shown some cajones that will erase some of those ghosts.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Norman winning would be a bigger story.............Totally unexpected from a 53 year old............

Tiger was a great story...........but everyone expected Tiger to win.........he is Tiger.........one leg or two...........does not matter............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Nicklaus was the best golfer of his time (60s-70s). Winning a major at 46 was incredible.

Norman was the best golfer of his time (80s-90s). Nearly winning a major at 53 was incredible.

Tiger is the best golfer of his time (current). I expect that, if anyone, he might be able to win a major in his 50s.

I think a big part of the difference is the improvement in conditioning over the years.

==================
    Trivia...

Jack shot 30 on the inward 9 on Sunday to win the Masters in 1986, finishing eagle-birdie-birdie-par. Anyone remember who bogied 18 allowing Nicklaus to win in 1986?

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Nicklaus was the best golfer of his time (60s-70s). Winning a major at 46 was incredible.

Norman was the best golfer of his time (80s-90s). Nearly winning a major at 53 was incredible.

Tiger is the best golfer of his time (current). I expect that, if anyone, he might be able to win a major in his 50s.

I think a big part of the difference is the improvement in conditioning over the years.

==================
    Trivia...

Jack shot 30 on the inward 9 on Sunday to win the Masters in 1986, finishing eagle-birdie-birdie-par. Anyone remember who bogied 18 allowing Nicklaus to win in 1986?
    Tom Kite?

EDIT: I just looked it up and it's either Kite, or Greg Norman. Both tied for 2nd, 1 stroke back.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Based on the thread - it must have been Norman.

Yes, it was Greg, who ended up tied with Kite, one back.

Thread Information