CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar

Cheap way to measure loft and lie?

Is there any economical way of measuring loft and lie of clubs? I'm interested in knowing what my irons are (I know there are many issues with measuring woods, so lets just forget about those)... is there any cheap measuring device that will do the trick, or do you have to have a machine worth hundreds of dollars?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The tools to measure loft/lie aren't that expensive. The machines that can adjust them are.

If you measure carefully you can get loft/lie with a ruler and a calculator.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

7 Iron TP Tomi is on a distinguished road
    The cheapest route would be to take your iron set to a shop that has a way of checking your lofts and lies.

My Mitchell machine was quite pricey .. but I charge 5 bucks per wedge and a flat rate
    of $25.00 for a set of 8 irons.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The tools to measure loft/lie aren't that expensive. The machines that can adjust them are.
    Very true .. lol .. I shoulda mentioned that as well .. however, I've never used a ruler and a calculator.
    Well, I have .. but, for other things

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    If you have a good tablesaw you can use the angle setting of the blade to measure loft and lie. It's not as good as a gauge of course but it worked pretty well for me until I got a gauge.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    If you have a good tablesaw you can use the angle setting of the blade to measure loft and lie. It's not as good as a gauge of course but it worked pretty well for me until I got a gauge.
    What kind of gauge? Any recommendations? I must admit, you had me worried when you started the post with "If you have a good table saw".... just remember to not plug it in

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman View Post
    you had me worried when you started the post with "If you have a good table saw".... just remember to not plug it in
    Or to unplug it .. if it is ..

Seriously tho, great advice ..

Tomi

My suggestion would be to go to Golfworks and get either the magnetic protractor or golf club protractor:
    http://www.golfworks.com/search.asp?ss=protractor
    The magnetic protractor is very easy to use. Great to start out and for quick readings.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Unless you have the club sitting in the exact playing position, ( wich can only be achieved with the proper equipment ), you will not get an accurate reading. The club's face angle has to be bang on square and the sole has to be seated properly based on it's design. Otherwise, you #'s will be skewed.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Unless you have the club sitting in the exact playing position, ( wich can only be achieved with the proper equipment ), you will not get an accurate reading. The club's face angle has to be bang on square and the sole has to be seated properly based on it's design. Otherwise, you #'s will be skewed.

Will you be able to get a close measurement, or will the numbers be way off?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

If you use the grooves as a guideline for the loft measurement you should get essentially an exact measurement.

Lie is a bit trickier, but then again I've never really cared what the lie measurement is from a number perspective. It just matters that it's correct.

Nothing can replace a true loft/lie guage. However if you are patient and have the help or a buddy you can get consistent readings for loft from the magnetic protractor. Lie is a bit trickier but again you can come very close.
    In actual fact if you want to measure lie, forget about a gauge. Get a lie board and just check that way. Or just put some masking tape on the sole and hit of some plywood.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Will you be able to get a close measurement, or will the numbers be way off?
    Like Jvincent, I personally don't need to know what MY lie angles actually are because there

is no progressive incrementation of degrees between each iron of mine. I adjust them according to the mark on the sole left by the lie bord and the results after hitting them. This is why you must lie check each club individually.

Although, I do provide customers with actual #'s

When a customer comes to me and wants his lies bent up 1* from "standard" ( I detest that reference ) I tell them that it is stongly recommended that each club be tested. The next question is usually how much ?Then I loose a customer to someone else who will honor there request, not giving a rats as to what the results will be. Not very professional. Evrey time you decide to change to a different shaft in your irons, you should have your lies checked. Every time you switch to a different iron head, lies AND lofts should be checked.
    Blue printing your clubs is a good idea because it saves time for any future work needed.
    Geoff, if you take in to consideration, that 1* of loft at your swingspeed equals roughly 4 ot 5 yrds. in distance, is "close enough" OK with you ? If that club is open 1* and the surface you set the club on is not perfectly 0* horizontal when you measure it, . I prefer to do it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    If you use the grooves as a guideline for the loft measurement you should get essentially an exact measurement.

Lie is a bit trickier, but then again I've never really cared what the lie measurement is from a number perspective. It just matters that it's correct.
    So how exactly do you use the grooves as a guideline? Is this to ensure that the club is horizontal in the proposed address position? In what position should the club be seated relative to the bounce? My SW/PW have a somewhat rounded bounce, and it can be seated at a variety of angles...

Using the grooves as a reference ensures that you are measuring perpendicular to the plane of the shaft, which is what you want.

Of course doing it this way assumes that the lie is correct.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Thanks to GWRX posters here is a very simple way to do it at a fraction of the cost of an expensive gauge
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information