CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    and not difficult? and Falcon Ridge is? really, it's basically a cow pasture.
    Maybe testing one's skills or scores in both courses will be a good testament to degree of difficulty. Try that.
    A golf course is not a cow pasture, you must have played there.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

i've played both....

and I'm not out to slag Falcon Ridge, but there is no comparison between the two. I actually live about 10 min from FR and while I quite like their practice facilities, the course had little thought put into it, other than planting some grass.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    FACT #4 Vancouver had a great course and they couldn't draw nike/buy.com/nationwide tour players.
    if the reference here is to the Ridge Course at Northview in Surry where the GVO was played, I must disagree. It is not a "great" course, it is average. I played it about 10 days before the GVO a few years ago and it was getting tuned up - long rough, grandstands, etc. In my opinion it is not anywhere near the golf course that Eagle Creek or The Marshes are. If either of those courses were put into tournament shape - long rough, hard greens, pinched fiarways, they would be far tougher than the Ridge course.

Andru
    and not difficult? and Falcon Ridge is? really, it's basically a cow pasture.

By best of the bunch I meant with respect to holding a PGA event.
    I'm with you on this one.

At least Eagle Creek has hosted an event. They keep the greens soft and rolling about 9-10 on the stimp so hackers don't start dumping clubs into the man made lake on 10 and 18. If they want to make things difficult. They can.

Also Length isn't everything when making a course difficult. If EC dries out they're greens and gets them running about 12-13 o the stimp. Then they start tucking pins behind bunkers and using the contours of the greens. The pros will be in for a tough ride.

They can't do that at falcon ridge. The greens are pretty simple. You can't hide pins. Check this out. Here's the standard by the USGA for building greens. http://www.usga.org/green/coned/greens/green_intro.html

If you're willing to rebuild the golf course from scratch then yeah any golf course can host a PGA event. We're talking about courses with an infrastructure for hosting within a 5-6 year period. Falcon Ridge isn't even a thought to host the Canadian Amateurs.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    if the reference here is to the Ridge Course at Northview in Surry where the GVO was played, I must disagree. It is not a "great" course, it is average. I played it about 10 days before the GVO a few years ago and it was getting tuned up - long rough, grandstands, etc. In my opinion it is not anywhere near the golf course that Eagle Creek or The Marshes are. If either of those courses were put into tournament shape - long rough, hard greens, pinched fiarways, they would be far tougher than the Ridge course.
    It wasn't the difficulty I was refering to.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

wow

Wow

1 hot topic
    2 days
    64 replies
    1 vote for falcon ridge............................................. Priceless!!

(Just teasing a little cuz most of you know I like playing Falcon ridge )
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    1 vote for falcon ridge............................................. Priceless!!
    Why don't you rescue me.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanifi
    Why don't you rescue me.
    Rescue you from what?

Getting yourself out on a limb with no return? Falcon Ridge, let's get realistic!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Getting yourself out on a limb with no return? Falcon Ridge, let's get realistic!
    All you need to do is match the time to falcon ridge. It is not not going to be in the next 5 or 6 years, it may not even be on my time or your time, but the time will come sooner or later.

3 Wood Rough Stuff is on a distinguished road
    I have played them both, I did not find Eagle Creek neither a difficult course nor very atractive
    If its just down to opinion, I have to disagree with this statement 110%. Played both, given the choice, I'd always play EC... Im sure everyone on here plays a lot of rounds of golf, and I can't see Falcon Ridge even coming into the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Stuff
    ...and I can't see Falcon Ridge even coming into the top 10.
    I agree with your disagreement.
    If it was for PGA to pick a course in Ontario to have an event this summer, non of the courses in ottawa will qualify. If it comes to reconditioning and setting up a course in Ottawa for a future PGA events, I would think somebody out there will look at Falcon Ridge. It's got a lot of Potential. That's all I have been saying.

Big_duck
    Just out of curiosity Hanifi, where were you planning on putting the gallery on the back 9? (15,17 and 18 excepted)

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Just out of curiosity Hanifi, where were you planning on putting the gallery on the back 9? (15,17 and 18 excepted)
    I would ask Ken Venturi who designed that death trap on I think is the 14 hole on Eagle Creek to do something about it.

I agree with your disagreement.
    I agree with your agreement of my disagreement.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I know people who think Le Dome is a great track. I thought it was silly. I only played it because I had free passes and it's golf. Golf is never really bad.
    Hey Andru,

Why do you thing Le Dome is a silly track?

The QGA SPRING OPEN QUALIFIER will be held at Le Dome (My home course) and I am anxious to see how my competitors will do!!!!!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

Give your head a shake.

Hanifli, know when to say when. Time to say "uncle". Give it up man. Let go.

You are vastly out numbered on this subject and for a very good reason - the idea that Falcon Ridge would EVER host the Canadian Open is beyond ridiculous.

The empty pasture beside my house has more potential then The Ridge to host a PGA event (given time for reconditioning and setup of course).

And you can't seriously be comparing Eagle Creek to The Ridge? One is a test of golf and the other a test of patience.

(no offence to the Spratts who run a fine operatation)
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I used to love playing Le Dome

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Hey Andru,

Why do you thing Le Dome is a silly track?

The QGA SPRING OPEN QUALIFIER will be held at Le Dome (My home course) and I am anxious to see how my competitors will do!!!!!!
    But I'd have to agree, there are a few silly holes, not that I minded them to be honest. If it were 500 yds longer, I think it would be a spectactular course. I'm not usually a big fan of courses that only let you hit driver on 4 or 5 holes but for a short course, it can come up and bite you in spots.

Since my office is literally 5 min from the course, I was very disappointed when it went Private.

But I'd have to agree, there are a few silly holes, not that I minded them to be honest. If it were 500 yds longer, I think it would be a spectactular course. I'm not usually a big fan of courses that only let you hit driver on 4 or 5 holes but for a short course, it can come up and bite you in spots.

Since my office is literally 5 min from the course, I was very disappointed when it went Private.

The Dome makes you thing before you take a club out. I rather play a course that tempts you to hit driver but should hit a shorter club to put the ball in play safely.

They made modifications on the course last year. The second tee was pulled back 50 yard so now it a 405 Yard hole. They changed the tees on the 8th hole. They shaved the mounds on the right side and widen the fairway about 30 yard on the 11th hole. Raised the tees on the 16th and redone pretty much all the tee boxes.

I hate playing a course where your opponent takes driver on every tee boxes without thing, slices the ball in the other fairway and hits his second shot back in to play. That a no no at The Dome. You hit a bad shot you pay for It. That’s golf!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    The Dome makes you thing before you take a club out. I rather play a course that tempts you to hit driver but should hit a shorter club to put the ball in play safely.

They made modifications on the course last year. The second tee was pulled back 50 yard so now it a 405 Yard hole. They changed the tees on the 8th hole. They shaved the mounds on the right side and widen the fairway about 30 yard on the 11th hole. Raised the tees on the 16th and redone pretty much all the tee boxes.

I hate playing a course where your opponent takes driver on every tee boxes without thing, slices the ball in the other fairway and hits his second shot back in to play. That a no no at The Dome. You hit a bad shot you pay for It. That’s golf!!!!
    I thought #2 was pretty tough to begin with, without lengthening it. What your saying is true, but I used to know which holes I could hit driver on and which I couldn't. It's more to the effect that there's a whack of holes that are two short to hit driver on rather than you really have to think too hard not to. #2 sounds like a thinking hole now, but a lot of them are just a shortage of real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by 4jag
    You are vastly out numbered on this subject and for a very good reason - the idea that Falcon Ridge would EVER host the Canadian Open is beyond ridiculous.

And you can't seriously be comparing Eagle Creek to The Ridge? One is a test of golf and the other a test of patience.

(no offence to the Spratts who run a fine operatation)
    I know I am out numbered, thanks for the reminder and your patience. Hope this makes you feel better and good lock with your game and patience if you have either one.

I thought #2 was pretty tough to begin with, without lengthening it. What your saying is true, but I used to know which holes I could hit driver on and which I couldn't. It's more to the effect that there's a whack of holes that are two short to hit driver on rather than you really have to think too hard not to. #2 sounds like a thinking hole now, but a lot of them are just a shortage of real estate.
    #2 is tuff now. 405 yard uphill with a very narrow opening before you get to the fairway. With the tees baked up like that, it brings the trees on the right in play.

I agree there is allot of holes are short but some of them are reachable with a driver or you can get close for a pith shot if you have the confidence and the balls to hit driver. This is what makes this course fun to play. Match play makes you do things you wouldn’t not do normally. At the Dome that makes you crash and burn………

I know I am out numbered, thanks for the reminder and your patience. Hope this makes you feel better and good lock with your game and patience if you have either one.
    I feel fine thanks. Sounds like someone has already lost their patience and the season isn't even here yet. :reallymad

While all opinions are welcome and no idea is a stupid idea - relentlessly trying to defend a ill-conceived position is.

Farzin,

It's got nothing to do with you being outnumbered, it's got everything to do about the the plain facts. Falcon Ridge is fine for going out with your buddies, playing a round of golf and having a good time. It's long, pretty forgiving off of the tee, with the exception of 10-11-12, and it's pretty inexpensive. It's got a better short game practice area than other public courses, and it's not too far out of town. But that's all it will ever be. In 10-15-20 years, if it is still around, when they get their clubhouse built, it will be a lot like Manderley. Good for local tournaments, not much more. And there is nothing wrong with that, there's good money to be made there. It might even become a mid-tier course battling out with Emerald Links and the such. What it won't be is a top end course like the Marshes, Eagle Creek, and a lot of the private courses such as Rideauview and the Hunt.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to go play there, it's not my favourite course for a few reasons, and lots of people will go play there, but it won't be members of the PGA Tour, not in a full tournament. Even the Canadian Skins game is usually played at courses in the Top 100 in Canada based on Score Magazine's rankings.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I did not realize that one's IQ is a measure of the number of posts one makes on this forum.
    Well now you know.

Quote Originally Posted by mr shank
    Well now you know.
    Hey, I resemble that remark
    Colby

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I did not realize that one's IQ is a measure of the number of posts one makes on this forum.
    Well now you know.
    Gee what a nice welcome to BC MIST.

I sure hope things get more pleasant around here. Who would expect that the possibility of a PGA tour event coming to town would generate such an unfriendly (in spots) thread.

I hope everyone can get out, play golf and get happy soon.

Well now you know.
    Ouch.

I think Hanifi was REALLY saying, and it got lost, that GIVEN that they put about $8 million into Falcon, it MIGHT be an option...neither will happen.

And I think we should all be pleased that our IQs are going up with each post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Stuff
    Ouch.

Now we know why Dan is such a freakin genius!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

My 1000th post

Who would expect that the possibility of a PGA tour event coming to town would generate such an unfriendly (in spots) thread.
    I think its quite pleasant reading. Good natured poking at each other never hurt no one.

Does this mean I'm smarter now???
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4jag
    Now we know why Dan is such a freakin genius!
    now you know too

Thread Information