100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Certainly at this point I think most of us have said what we felt we have had to say on the issue, but why would one want a thread to die if people are interested in the topic? Forum members like myself have obviously had thoughts on the issue, and a lively conversation has ensued.

If one isn't interested in the topic, and no forum members are grievously out of line, then one can simply let the thread live out its natural life without foisting a premature end on a valid and mostly respectful discussion.

Sorry second comment. I'm just tired of people criticizing him for doing what he feels is right for him at this time. He gave his explanation for his actions, he's comfortable with it, let it go. And if you re-read this thread, it's bascially the same thing over and over again. He should be there, he's only won second rate tourneys. There really isn't any new things being discussed. And now we have members telling each other they don't know anything about the sport. Those were the reasons for my "let it die" comment.

I don't know when we all became experts on the sport, so maybe I'm being a little premature in my comments. Hopefully one of our resident experts will give us insight into Kenny's thought process on this.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If one isn't interested in the topic, and no forum members are grievously out of line, then one can simply let the thread live out its natural life without foisting a premature end on a valid and mostly respectful discussion.
    There were several disrespectful comments. It certainly is not a thread I would use as an example of good forum etiquette.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Sorry second comment. I'm just tired of people criticizing him for doing what he feels is right for him at this time. He gave his explanation for his actions, he's comfortable with it, let it go. And if you re-read this thread, it's bascially the same thing over and over again. He should be there, he's only won second rate tourneys. There really isn't any new things being discussed. And now we have members telling each other they don't know anything about the sport. Those were the reasons for my "let it die" comment.

I don't know when we all became experts on the sport, so maybe I'm being a little premature in my comments. Hopefully one of our resident experts will give us insight into Kenny's thought process on this.
    I just think that it happens to be one of the more interesting decisions a player has made schedule-wise in a long time. All we hear is about how important majors are, and that's how most elite players want to measure themselves, so when someone decides not to attend a major for which they are eligible, for however altruistic their reasons, it's going to be a cause for discussion.

Certainly there is not a need for derisive comments between forum members regarding their golf knowledge or lackthereof.

This being a forum on golf, its purpose lends itself to this sort of debate, especially when there is something new to add to the discussion. Last night on Golf Channel (notice how it's not branded as "The Golf Channel" anymore?) one of the panel pundits noted about KP's decision not to try to qualify for the US Open, and then not to attended The Open as curious considering he would have the opportunity to win double the Ryder Cup points in majors this year.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I just think that it happens to be one of the more interesting decisions a player has made schedule-wise in a long time. All we hear is about how important majors are, and that's how most elite players want to measure themselves, so when someone decides not to attend a major for which they are eligible, for however altruistic their reasons, it's going to be a cause for discussion.

Certainly there is not a need for derisive comments between forum members regarding their golf knowledge or lackthereof.

This being a forum on golf, its purpose lends itself to this sort of debate, especially when there is something new to add to the discussion. Last night on Golf Channel (notice how it's not branded as "The Golf Channel" anymore?) one of the panel pundits noted about KP's decision not to try to qualify for the US Open, and then not to attended The Open as curious considering he would have the opportunity to win double the Ryder Cup points in majors this year.
    THE MAN DID NOT WANT TO GO PLAY THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP.

Doesn't anyone understand that?

It is his life, his golf career, his decision. He and only he decides where he wants to play.
    You, the rest of the forum members, Golf Channel staff, sports reporters etc have no right to make decisions for Kenny Perry or any other pro golfer for that matter. He has his personal reasons for not going over there and who are we to say those reasons are wrong?

He is not the first pro golfer who did not go across the Pond to play The Open Championship.

Do you take advise on how to run your life from members of this forum, the media etc? I somehow doubt that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    THE MAN DID NOT WANT TO GO PLAY THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP.

Doesn't anyone understand that?
    It's obvious from my comments that I don't understand it, no. However, I do respect it. Doesn't mean I agree with it though. And please, you don't have to shout.

It is his life, his golf career, his decision. He and only he decides where he wants to play.
    You, the rest of the forum members, Golf Channel staff, sports reporters etc have no right to make decisions for Kenny Perry or any other pro golfer for that matter. He has his personal reasons for not going over there and who are we to say those reasons are wrong?
    Everyone makes decisions based on personal reasons, so I have no quibble with his right to make a decision. But I have a right not to agree with the decision. Personally, KP is a cure for insomnia, so not having him there makes no difference to my viewing experience.

He is not the first pro golfer who did not go across the Pond to play The Open Championship.
    Very true.

Do you take advise on how to run your life from members of this forum, the media etc? I somehow doubt that you do.
    You're right again, I don't. And I'm not asking KP to take my advice. I merely don't agree with bypassing a major for which he is qualified. I think I've been pretty consistent on that stance.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    There were several disrespectful comments. It certainly is not a thread I would use as an example of good forum etiquette.
    Perhaps a few unnecessary personal barbs were exchanged, and while unnecessary, that sort of thing goes hand in hand with a popular thread, as our passion for the game of golf that is reflected through our keyboards.

It is threads like this on your forum that brings more eyeballs to your site, and in turn is a boon for your advertisers. Personal attacks aside, having moderators put a wet blanket on your users because the moderator doesn't feel the topic is worthy of debate is counter to the nature of a forum. The users must be allowed to decide what is worthy of their posts and what isn't. It only takes a quick look at the number of views on the KP threads in the World Golf News section and it tells the tale of what the most popular thread on this site was in the past seven days.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Perhaps a few unnecessary personal barbs were exchanged, and while unnecessary, that sort of thing goes hand in hand with a popular thread, as our passion for the game of golf that is reflected through our keyboards.

It is threads like this on your forum that brings more eyeballs to your site, and in turn is a boon for your advertisers. Personal attacks aside, having moderators put a wet blanket on your users because the moderator doesn't feel the topic is worthy of debate is counter to the nature of a forum. The users must be allowed to decide what is worthy of their posts and what isn't. It only takes a quick look at the number of views on the KP threads in the World Golf News section and it tells the tale of what the most popular thread on this site was in the past seven days.
    Unnecessary barbs, perhaps, and I am one of the guilty parties. But how do you get it through someone's head who CLEARLY DOESN'T UNDERSTAND what the heck is going on? I may delve into the political arena here, but when did it become anyone's business as to what tournaments are in a professional golfer's schedule? Opinions are OK, but it isn't your RIGHT to disagree with Kenny Perry because it's his job and his life.

If someone on this forum took a scheduled vacation in the middle of their employer's busiest time, and it was OK'd by the employer, you DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to tell that person that they shouldn't take that vacation because you disagree with the timing. And please understand the meaning of the word "RIGHT." I do not mean "RIGHT" as defined by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I mean "RIGHT" as defined by "what business is it of yours."

So if you don't have the right to comment on it, there is no reason to get upset about it.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Unnecessary barbs, perhaps, and I am one of the guilty parties. But how do you get it through someone's head who CLEARLY DOESN'T UNDERSTAND what the heck is going on? I may delve into the political arena here, but when did it become anyone's business as to what tournaments are in a professional golfer's schedule? Opinions are OK, but it isn't your RIGHT to disagree with Kenny Perry because it's his job and his life.

If someone on this forum took a scheduled vacation in the middle of their employer's busiest time, and it was OK'd by the employer, you DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to tell that person that they shouldn't take that vacation because you disagree with the timing. And please understand the meaning of the word "RIGHT." I do not mean "RIGHT" as defined by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I mean "RIGHT" as defined by "what business is it of yours."

So if you don't have the right to comment on it, there is no reason to get upset about it.

Which was my point. I wasn't trying to throw a wet blanket over the topic. I was just tired of people thinking they knew what the "right" thing was for KP to do.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It is threads like this on your forum that brings more eyeballs to your site, and in turn is a boon for your advertisers.
    Threads with differing opinions are indeed desireable. Throwing barbs at others is definately not.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Last night on Golf Channel (notice how it's not branded as "The Golf Channel" anymore?) one of the panel pundits noted about KP's decision not to try to qualify for the US Open, and then not to attended The Open as curious considering he would have the opportunity to win double the Ryder Cup points in majors this year.

Woody Austin received more Ryder Cup points from his tie for 39th at the British Open than Kenny Perry received from his tie for sixth in the U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee. ...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar

bump!

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    What I find funny is that he is now amongst the leaders for the Ryder cup but only wins weak field events - He's gonna get KILLED at the Ryder cup!!!
    Time to eat some crow!
    Andrew

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar

Touché
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post

Touché
    You're a good sport Weazl, I didn't mean to single you out in particular, many were predicting a Kenny crash.
    Andrew

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    He played fantastic golf, I stand corrected so what more can I say. Got any ketchup this crow is a little dry?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Regardless, intentionally skipping majors when you're playing the best golf of your life to play in events that run opposite the biggest tournaments in the world in order to qualify to play in an exhibition is pure cheese. I know KP will remember his Ryder Cup exhibition experience forever, which is nice, but ten years from now we won't even remember he was on the team.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information