CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    This thread is one of the strangest we've ever had?. I just don't understand what the problem is.
    I must be getting old faster than I thought.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    This thread is one of the strangest we've ever had?. I just don't understand what the problem is.

I think it's just all the Tiger lovers getting back for the bashing their hero took in the US Open thread. Plus with Tigger out for the season it seems his admirers feel the need to point out constantly that the sport can't survive without his highness. The same thing is going on at GEA and FGI.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Ya think?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Ya, way to go Dan, why did you start such a controversial thread

Personally I've had some good chuckles reading this completely inane yet enjoyable thread such as :

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Yeah, its a good thing for Kenny there was no swimsuit component to the competition.
    Thanks for that mental image though
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I think it's just all the Tiger lovers getting back for the bashing their hero took in the US Open thread. Plus with Tigger out for the season it seems his admirers feel the need to point out constantly that the sport can't survive without his highness. The same thing is going on at GEA and FGI.
    Funny, they said that after Nicklaus retired too...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    The only debate-worthy part of the thread to me is the rather peculiar situation that Kenny is not playing in the Open. It is odd, but I buy his explanation.
    As for the other stuff, I don't quite get the point of the statement either (which I would summarize as "young fit golfers winning is better for golf than old fat guys winning"?) The statement may be correct from a "growing the game" or marketing point of view, but to me its moot. The golfer who shoots the lowest score wins, whether it be good or bad for golf.
    Andrew

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Ya, way to go Dan, why did you start such a controversial thread

Personally I've had some good chuckles reading this completely inane yet enjoyable thread such as :

Thanks for that mental image though

You better hope you never get a little bit of fat around your waist when you get old.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    You better hope you never get a little bit of fat around your waist when you get old.

Some of us didn't wait to get old for a 'little fat' we hit 'old age' already prepared!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Some of us didn't wait to get old for a 'little fat' we hit 'old age' already prepared!

Being fully prepared is smart planning Bob!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I wish Kenny was playing in this thing. It's a waste that the hottest golfer on the planet isn't playing in a major.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    In that case I am fully prepared for old age.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    It has nothing to do with KP's age, but his choice to skip the British Open to try and win a tournament only lesser golfers will play in. Basically, regardless of what he says promise or not, I thinkits a copout as he knows he cannot compete with the best in the world but that he can beat the rest. Like I said we'll see him get his ass handed to him when he makes the Ryder Cup by beating lesser known players. He'll win all the b flight tournaments and then get whipped and I can't wait to see it!
    Pal, you obviously have trouble deciphering (that means "figuring out") what constitutes outstanding golf. Three wins in five events, including a victory at the Memorial, means that Kenny Perry has won more times than anyone except Tiger this year.

I just wrote something and then erased it, because it was something of a personal attack. I will say this - you know nothing about golf.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Pal, you obviously have trouble deciphering (that means "figuring out") what constitutes outstanding golf. Three wins in five events, including a victory at the Memorial, means that Kenny Perry has won more times than anyone except Tiger this year.

I just wrote something and then erased it, because it was something of a personal attack. I will say this - you know nothing about golf.
    Agreed he has won many tournaments, class B tournaments. Enough said!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Agreed he has won many tournaments, class B tournaments. Enough said!
    I've been as critical as anyone of KP skipping the British, for which he was qualified.

However, the last time I checked The Memorial isn't a b-class tournament. It consistently has one of the strongest fields of the year outside of majors and The Players.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

8 Iron hackman is on a distinguished road
    Nothing personal about telling a guy he knows nothing about golf Senfan
    this coming from the guy who just compared the FBD Phoenix open to the British Open and then attempted to make another comparision with the British Open to a regular season game in the NHL
    Last time i checked Sensfan this forum is about opinions you can either agree or disagree
    Your "you know nothing about golf " comment is out of line and warrents a retraction or apoligy
    Kenny Perry is the 16th rank golfer in the world right now and should be over seas
    plain and simple

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Being fully prepared is smart planning Bob!
    No planning involved! I blame it on my mothers roast beef and yorkshire pudding Sunday family meals Hey man, I wasn't allowed to leave the table unless I finished what was on my plate (all 3 plates I mean)
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by hackman View Post
    Nothing personal about telling a guy he knows nothing about golf Senfan
    this coming from the guy who just compared the FBD Phoenix open to the British Open and then attempted to make another comparision with the British Open to a regular season game in the NHL
    Last time i checked Sensfan this forum is about opinions you can either agree or disagree
    Your "you know nothing about golf " comment is out of line and warrents a retraction or apoligy
    Kenny Perry is the 16th rank golfer in the world right now and should be over seas
    plain and simple
    I don't apologize for things that are opinions. In my opinion, he knows nothing about golf. And now, neither do you.
    Back to topic - how do you define "plain and simple"? You can't, especially when it comes to golfers playing in tournaments. Perry is his own man, and nobody can or will tell him what to do. Nobody is required to play any tournament, ever.

I don't apologize for things that are opinions. In my opinion, he knows nothing about golf. And now, neither do you.
    Back to topic - how do you define "plain and simple"? You can't, especially when it comes to golfers playing in tournaments. Perry is his own man, and nobody can or will tell him what to do. Nobody is required to play any tournament, ever.
    I don't think anyone has said in this thread that PK is required to play in the British. It's just beyond many of us why someone wouldn't want to, especially those of us who would trade places with an exempt player like Kenny in an instant.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I don't think anyone has said in this thread that PK is required to play in the British. It's just beyond many of us why someone wouldn't want to, especially those of us who would trade places with an exempt player like Kenny in an instant.
    He gave his response, though. He said he's tried to win a major for 22 years and hasn't been able to do so. Now his priorities have changed. He wanted to make the Ryder Cup team so he could play in his home state...he achieved that goal.
    Is it so outrageous that he just doesn't enjoy going over there? After all, his Open stroke average is 76.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    plain and simple
    When he made his schedule he was the 92nd ranked golfer in the world and falling fast. He's probably as surprised as anybody about how good a year he's having. Whatever he's doing, its working for him and if I were him I wouldn't change a thing.

Some golfers don't like the British Open, and he's obviously one of them. He's skipped it before and it was no big deal. He's made his money, and golf is still a game that you're supposed to enjoy playing - even at the highest level. Why should he play a course he doesn't like in a place he doesn't want to be at, just to appease a bunch of sports media hacks?

He gave his response, though. He said he's tried to win a major for 22 years and hasn't been able to do so. Now his priorities have changed. He wanted to make the Ryder Cup team so he could play in his home state...he achieved that goal.
    Is it so outrageous that he just doesn't enjoy going over there? After all, his Open stroke average is 76.
    I don't think it's outrageous, I just don't understand it. You qualify for a major, you haven't won a major, you're arguably playing the best golf of your life, you've achieved your goal of securing a spot on the Ryder Cup team, and you give what is quite possibly one of your last chances to win a major a pass?

Yes, he made a commitment to the tournament opposite the Open, but if there was ever a good reason to make one's apologies, having qualified for the Open would be it.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

8 Iron hackman is on a distinguished road
    Your full of compliments today my friend, i believe I will refrain from further discussion on this issue with you as it appears you and me will not find commom ground on the subject
    Unlike yourself i will not accuse you of knowing squat about golf i am quite sure by the fact you made a number of contributions to this forum that you have some idea what your talking about
    Its too bad you cant seem to give a few of us the same respect
    Do appreciate the discussion however but will have to sign off due to angry boss
    Have a good one gents

But his Open record isn't as bad as you'd think...

He missed the cut in 1991, and then didn't play in the Open again until 2003, when he finished tied for 8th (not bad!). In 2004 he played again, and finished T16. In 2005, he finished T11. Then he missed the cut in 2006 and hasn't returned to play.

So in five Opens he has missed the cut twice, and in the three others has had three top 20 finishes, and one top 10.

This would lead one to surmise that his stroke average of 76 is borne more from the two missed cuts than anything else.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I wish Kenny was playing in this thing.....
    After reading the disturbing coments about Kenny in a swimsuit, I read this as:

"I wish Kenny was playing in his thong".

Do we have a "scratching my eyes out" smilie?

Do appreciate the discussion however but will have to sign off due to angry boss
    Why is your wife angry ?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    After reading the disturbing coments about Kenny in a swimsuit, I read this as:

"I wish Kenny was playing in his thong".

Do we have a "scratching my eyes out" smilie?
    Naw, when I wrote those disturbing comments I couldn't find a "dripping with sarcasm" smilie either!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Now watch the first alternate win it all....
    Villegas is the alternate who got in when Perry withdrew.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    And he is making the most of it too! Good on Camillo.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Villegas is the alternate who got in when Perry withdrew.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    My one and only comment on this. I actually respect Kenny more for keeping his word from last year as opposed to running off across the ocean. He must've struggled with the decision when he became exempt for the Open. There done, can we now let this die?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Certainly at this point I think most of us have said what we felt we have had to say on the issue, but why would one want a thread to die if people are interested in the topic? Forum members like myself have obviously had thoughts on the issue, and a lively conversation has ensued.

If one isn't interested in the topic, and no forum members are grievously out of line, then one can simply let the thread live out its natural life without foisting a premature end on a valid and mostly respectful discussion.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information