CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Kenny Perry wins John Deere Classic in playoff over Adamonis, Williamson

SILVIS, Ill. - He never wanted to be the star, the main attraction, but Kenny Perry will have no choice if this continues. The guy who merely wanted to win enough to make the Ryder Cup team is now racking up victories at a rapid pace.

More...

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    ... and intentionally skips the US and British Opens along the way...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Pretty pathetic me thinks, to have a guy who can only work the ball right-to-left win 3 times this year.
    To top it off Perry is quoted as saying "I don't want Tiger status"
    Um...I think you're pretty safe with that one Kenny.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Pretty pathetic me thinks, to have a guy who can only work the ball right-to-left win 3 times this year.
    How does that comment make any sense? Please explain your rationale behind that one?? He beat the entire field three times, what difference does it make if he plays a draw!!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    What I find funny is that he is now amongst the leaders for the Ryder cup but only wins weak field events - He's gonna get KILLED at the Ryder cup!!!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

That doesn't make any sense either!!!???

Sure it does, he's cherry picking his events to play the evnts with weaker fields so he gain entry into the ryder cup by winning points when none of the Top 10 are playing, or are playing another event. He knows he cannot compete with the elite golfers, so he beats the Tier II guys - Way to go Kenny Perry you're the best!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    How does that comment make any sense? Please explain your rationale behind that one?? He beat the entire field three times, what difference does it make if he plays a draw!!
    A multiple winner on the best tour in the world shouldn't be able to win by playing one, and only one shot. There a loads of guys out there who can hit a draw, a fade, a high one, a low one or whatever else they can dream up. Perry hits the same shot, on the same trajectory, every time. His entire repertoire consists of one shot that he plays over and over. It's just plain boring.
    I don't blame Perry for his lack of talent, the problem lies in the set-up of the courses that don't make players work the ball both ways.
    Let's just say watching Kenny Perry golf is almost as good as watching darts. Almost.
    Weazl's point about him cherry-picking his tournaments is valid as well.

If you go back and watch some footage from this weekend you will see him hit more than a few cut shots as well.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Kenny Perry can compete with the top golfers. He made a decision at the beginning of the season to follow a certain schedule to give him the best chance of qualifying for the Ryder Cup, which included skipping the U.S. and British Opens. Right now he looks like a genius.
    The reason he decided to skip those events was that he was not eligible for them at the beginning of the season and he made the decision that he was too old to go thru the brutal qualifying events to get in. Since then he has won 3 events and would have been eligible for both majors without needing to qualify. However Perry has stated that he made a committment to those tournaments and to his schedule at the beginning of the season and he has no intention of changing it now.
    Personally I think anyone who plays him in match play will have a very tough time with Kenny...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If you go back and watch some footage from this weekend you will see him hit more than a few cut shots as well.
    Really? If so, I stand corrected. I've only ever seen him play a draw.

Pitching Wedge Mick-Mulli is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Kenny Perry can compete with the top golfers. He made a decision at the beginning of the season to follow a certain schedule to give him the best chance of qualifying for the Ryder Cup, which included skipping the U.S. and British Opens. Right now he looks like a genius.
    The reason he decided to skip those events was that he was not eligible for them at the beginning of the season and he made the decision that he was too old to go thru the brutal qualifying events to get in. Since then he has won 3 events and would have been eligible for both majors without needing to qualify. However Perry has stated that he made a committment to those tournaments and to his schedule at the beginning of the season and he has no intention of changing it now.
    Personally I think anyone who plays him in match play will have a very tough time with Kenny...

Exactly what i was going type. I second this.

From what I've read around the web tonight apparently KP is very well liked. He donates 5% of his winnings to a scholarship fund for disadvantaged youth from his home state of Kentucky - a commitment he made many years ago.

He won the BC Open last year, which plays opposite the Open Championship for tour players who don't qualify for that event, and committed to event organizers last year that he'd return to defend. Commendable on many levels (though mind-boggling to those of us who'd give our left nut to be able to sniff the mustiness Claret Jug).

He picks and chooses his events, which on one hand can be seen as ducking better competition, but there is logic in the schedule proven by his three wins - save for the Memorial - which was a very good field even though some gimp couldn't seem to make it .

So, despite that I don't think anyone should skip the Open, he's probably not a bad chap after all.

As for the US Open, apparently he didn't qualify for it, and didn't try to go through regional qualifiers.

Here are his results in majors since 1988.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    A multiple winner on the best tour in the world shouldn't be able to win by playing one, and only one shot. There a loads of guys out there who can hit a draw, a fade, a high one, a low one or whatever else they can dream up. Perry hits the same shot, on the same trajectory, every time. His entire repertoire consists of one shot that he plays over and over. It's just plain boring.
    I don't blame Perry for his lack of talent, the problem lies in the set-up of the courses that don't make players work the ball both ways.
    Let's just say watching Kenny Perry golf is almost as good as watching darts. Almost.
    Apparently you did not watch golf when Nicklaus, Trevino etc were in their prime. Trevino played a fade all day long. It wasn't until he got to the Champions Tour that he started playing some draws.

Jack seemed to do fine with that big high fade. Winning 18 Majors doesn't seem to impressive to you?

If you feel Kenny has a lack of talent call him and challenge him to a match, put your cash on the line. I bet he would be nice enough to give you a few strokes

Oh by the way, he never really has liked playing in The Open Championship and he is not the only American golfer who doesn't. Travel, lodging is part of the factor. What about #1, when was the last time you seen him make the trip to the Canadian Open?

To say he is "Cherry Picking" his events is ridiculous. He has played good events with good fields. Is it his fault Phil and some of the other Top 10 in the World were not at the John Deere? I don't think so. Kenny Perry feels he owes his support to the sponsors of the events in USA. Nothing wrong with that. If he wins along the way so be it.

Isn't there another top golfer in the world who picks his events he plays in and skips the smaller events?

I thought the field was pretty deep at the Memorial, as 3 Jack mentioned. Apparently you felt it wasn't. Maybe because Woods missed the tournament?

BTW, he did hit a fade on Sunday in case you missed it

As stated above he set his schedule at the start of the year with the goal being to make the Ryder Cup Team and play the matches in his home state. Goal reached. What's wrong with that? I don't know about you but I would not want to be paired against him in the Ryder Cup. He hits fairways, he hits it a ton, his iron play is solid and right now he is putting like a machine. Plus he'll be playing on his home turf, imagine the support he is going to get from the crowds when he steps on the first tee. That alone can be a huge factor in a match.

I have always liked Kenny Perry. He is a good old boy, down to earth. He owns a golf course in his home town which is cheap to play. He helps out with charities. He is just an all around nice guy IMO.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    BTW, he did hit a fade on Sunday in case you missed it
    I did.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Perry is having the year of his career at 47, its spectacular. His game is razor sharp & right now he could compete with anyone at any course.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Perry is having the year of his career at 47, its spectacular. His game is razor sharp & right now he could compete with anyone at any course.
    Apparently just not the best in the world during a Major! I've lost some respect for him this year.

I don't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Apparently just not the best in the world during a Major! I've lost some respect for him this year.
    ?No, Kenny is not the best in the world during a major, but he is one of the best golfers in the world right now.
    Andrew

We're not the only ones who think Perry's decision to skip majors is a curious one...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Except Royal Birkdale.

I'm not debating whether or not Kenny is well liked. or a 'good guy' I really don't care. Let's face it, apart from what the media tells us, I'm pretty sure none of here actually know Kenny.
    Like it or not, right or wrong, a 47 year old fat guy winning 3 times so far is not good for golf. Sure it gives other 47 year old fat guys 'hope', but how many kids watched that tournament and said "Wow, I wanna be just like that!" Probably none.

Agreed. KP is about as exciting as watching paint dry.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Except Royal Birkdale.

I'm not debating whether or not Kenny is well liked. or a 'good guy' I really don't care. Let's face it, apart from what the media tells us, I'm pretty sure none of here actually know Kenny.
    Like it or not, right or wrong, a 47 year old fat guy winning 3 times so far is not good for golf. Sure it gives other 47 year old fat guys 'hope', but how many kids watched that tournament and said "Wow, I wanna be just like that!" Probably none.
    So you don't care if he's a "good guy" but you care about his appearance? Whats wrong with giving old fat guys hope?
    Andrew

So you don't care if he's a "good guy" but you care about his appearance? Whats wrong with giving old fat guys hope?
    LMAO...too funny.
    You're right though, I need all the hope I can get

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post

OK so he was not qualified to enter the U.S. Open and did not want to go through the sectionals to try and make the field. So you lose respect for him for that reason?

OK so he is now qualified for The Open Championship but gave his word to the sponsors of the PGA Event opposite The Open Championship that he would come back this year to defend his title. You lose respect for him for that reason? He is standing by his words. That I can respect.

For years before Arnold Palmer started going over to play in The Open Championship there were not many U.S. players who did. Yes times have changed as far as travel etc go. But for some guys it is just a hassle to go there. So why cut them up for their personal reasons of choosing not to go play there?

As for Shivas Irons comments about Perry being fat, give me a break. If you have so much disrepect for guys who are not slim and tirm you are living in a small shallow world. Daly is fat, Perry is not. The man is 47 years old and can flat out golf his ball. Sure he does not have a 6 pack out front, but give him some respect he has earned this season. I am willing to bet that Tim Finchem is not embarrassed by having Kenny Perry win 3 out of his last 5 tournaments he has entered. Anytime you win on the PGA it is not easy to do so. If it were why are all those young guns not hoisting the trophies on Sunday?

OK so he was not qualified to enter the U.S. Open and did not want to go through the sectionals to try and make the field. So you lose respect for him for that reason?
    Yes. Name another Top 20 American who'd not try to qualify if need be.

OK so he is now qualified for The Open Championship but gave his word to the sponsors of the PGA Event opposite The Open Championship that he would come back this year to defend his title. You lose respect for him for that reason? He is standing by his words. That I can respect.
    It's great to stay true to one's word - but I think that considering how well he is playing he might stand a chance to win a major, especially with a certain someone on the shelf.

Hmm... good chance to win a major, chance to defend the BC Open... hmmm.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Other than wishing that the Americans get destroyed again by Europe, I hope that Kenny makes the team, runs the table in all his matches, and then shoves it right in Azinger's face afterwards.

And as far as KP skipping the majors, big deal. It's no one's business but his. At least he's showing up and fulfilling his commitments by helping to support the events that make up the foundation of the tour, instead of guys like 'a certain someone' spending all year gearing up for majors and blowing off the other events.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

If you have so much disrepect for guys who are not slim and tirm you are living in a small shallow world. Daly is fat, Perry is not.
    Holy semantics Batman! No no, Daly is not fat, Rita McNeil is fat!
    It's not about degrees of fatness, but it is about marketability, and the fact is a person's looks have an affect on how marketable they are. Someone who thinks otherwise is probably living in a small, shallow world (Much like Horton, another fatass, when he heard a Who) but we're talking about Kenny Perry so I'll refrain from personal attacks of other forum members.

The man is 47 years old and can flat out golf his ball.

Okay there Johnny, but you forgot to add "Huh Murph" or "Right Rog?"

I am willing to bet that Tim Finchem is not embarrassed by having Kenny Perry win 3 out of his last 5 tournaments he has entered.
    I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. If he had a choice who do you think Finchem would rather have win - Perry or a guy like Anthony Kim? It's all about marketing, and Kenny Perry just isn't marketable.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Except Royal Birkdale.

Holy semantics Batman! No no, Daly is not fat, Rita McNeil is fat!
    It's not about degrees of fatness, but it is about marketability, and the fact is a person's looks have an affect on how marketable they are. Someone who thinks otherwise is probably living in a small, shallow world (Much like Horton, another fatass, when he heard a Who) but we're talking about Kenny Perry so I'll refrain from personal attacks of other forum members.

Okay there Johnny, but you forgot to add "Huh Murph" or "Right Rog?"

I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. If he had a choice who do you think Finchem would rather have win - Perry or a guy like Anthony Kim? It's all about marketing, and Kenny Perry just isn't marketable.
    Funny, I thought Tiger already had an agent...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Other than wishing that the Americans get destroyed again by Europe, I hope that Kenny makes the team, runs the table in all his matches, and then shoves it right in Azinger's face afterwards.

And as far as KP skipping the majors, big deal. It's no one's business but his. At least he's showing up and fulfilling his commitments by helping to support the events that make up the foundation of the tour, instead of guys like 'a certain someone' spending all year gearing up for majors and blowing off the other events.
    Pretty sure he is on the Ryder Cup Team now. If he isn't and Zinger leaves him off then Zinger is a fool.

You are correct when you state it is no one's business but his own when it comes to skipping Majors. He supports the heart and sole tournaments of the PGA. Yes as much as I love the Majors it is the smaller events spread around the US, and our own Open Championship that make the PGA what it is. Without those events and sponsors the PGA would not exist.

As for marketing, come on boys. The PGA does not need marketing. It needs proven winners and Kenny Perry has proven he is a winner.

Not to knock Mike Weir but when was the last time that good looking young flat bellied guy won an event? Camilo, Stud Boy, when he is going to win so Finchem can "Market" him?

Say what you want about the older guys on tour. They are kicking some butt out there lately and I am not seeing too many young guns, other than Anthony Kim stepping up to the plate. Heck TA3 has been right there on Sunday during the past month. Imagine if he won an event? The guy parties like an animal and goes out plays golf and has been close in a couple of events. 48 years old to boot. Chicks dig him too. So much for "Marketing Young Studs on The PGA Tour"

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post

And who is golf going to remember 100 years from now?

Exactly.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information