100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter newglove is on a distinguished road

Diamond Face Wedges

Hey was wondering if anyone had any input on the use and legality of some of the diamond face, abrasive face's, tungsten inserts wedges like the Pure Spin series. Im aware of the USGA rule against "foreign materials" applied to the face that would change the natural movement of the ball, but also aware that the Pure Spin series wedges are highly praised on the champions tour and claim to be USGA legal.

Been researching around and have not really got a clear answer, one site even claims that conventional wedges lose maximum spin making ability after 50 to 100 shots? strange... and the "diamond faces" can last for a thousand shots then just be resurfaced afterwards sounds like a sale pitch but thanks in advance for anyone who can shine some light on this...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Under Appendix II Club Face it says:

b. Impact Area Roughness and Material
    Except for markings specified in the following paragraphs,the surface roughness within the area where impact is intended (the "impact area") must not exceed that of decorative sandblasting, or of fine milling.
    The whole of the impact area must be of the same material (exceptio may be made for clubheads made of wood).

I saw some wedges a few weeks ago and we agreed that they were definitely non-conforming and now allowed to be used in the tournament.

I hope this helps

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I used to have some of these wedges and I'm pretty certain they are legal. They would not be in play on the Champions Tour at all if they were not.

I think "foreign materials" refers to something put on the club AFTER it is manufactured - not materials that are an integral part of the club's manufacturing process.

Thread Information