CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter miller7562 is on a distinguished road

Angry Help with my slice

I really need help with my slice. Funny...and extremely frustrating thing is that I developed a slice litterally overnight! Since I started golfing a few years back, I was NEVER a slicer, not even with the long irons or woods. I did, however, happen to have a short backswing (slightly too inside as well), but I was always able to square the face during my downswing and hit the ball straight. During one of my lessons with a pro a few weeks ago, we worked on my backswing. I left my lesson still as a non-slicer...then overnight, I started slicing all my clubs...and I mean everything... like even a pitching wedge is slicing.

I went back to my teaching pro and video analysis showed I was swinging off plane (obviously to the outside now). He instructed me of doing drills of only 50% swings and using a mirror to get the properly swing plane back. When i do 50% swings, I hit is straight, but anytime I swing more than 50%, it's a slice. Anyone have any thoughts?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Yes, go back to the teacher. He is the best person to analyse what your doing wrong. I started golf with a natural slight fade swing and my tendency when I overswing is to slice/fade/block. I can only say that my teacher taught me to concentrate on my lead arm as a guide to my plane and this seems to help me when I get off plane.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    From my experience, it seems like you have 2 problems. One is the slightly open club face at impact. And it doesn't have to be open more than a few of degrees to cause the sidespin that results in a slice. I think (I haven't seen your swing) that you're also coming at the ball with an outside to inside club path. This is most likely caused by getting out of sequence with your downswing (hips firing too hard and shoulders getting turned before the clubhead is back at the ball). That, coupled with the slightly open face, is causing the ball to start straight then turn hard left.
    Next time on the range, make the first half of your swings "half" swings. Take the club back until your right forearm is parallel to the ground and you're made a good wrist hinge. The club should be cutting through your left shoulder (as seen from behind). On the downswing, make a decent weight shift, but concentrate on bringing the club down before "firing" your hips to get the proper sequence. If your hips clear too much before impact, your shoulders will have turned and the club will go outside the target line again. Try to make contact with the back of the ball that's closest to you (some call it the "inside quadrant"). This may start the ball a little left, but when you get the timing correct it will straighten out.
    One last thing.....check your grip. If you can't see at least 2 knuckles on your right hand at setup, your grip may be a little too weak causing the open clubface.
    Hope this helps. My apologies for the lengthy post.

Thread Information