100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge Mick-Mulli is on a distinguished road

Ball marker in putt line

Just curious what the ruling is on -one players ball marker being directly in putting line of another players. What options does the putter have ?
    thanks in advance
    And sorry if this was already a thread, i did look but couldn't find anything.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If your fellow competitor's mark is in your line you can ask him to move it out of your way.

If he refuses to move his marker he would be disqualified.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    Or if it's stroke play just let the other player go first, and watch how his putt breaks.
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

That is an option, but the other player does not have to do that if he chooses not to.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddlydidly View Post
    Or if it's stroke play just let the other player go first, and watch how his putt breaks.
    Why would a fellow COMPETITOR help you "read" the line?

Mick: If a player moves his marker off your line, it is good etiquette to remind him to move the marker back

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    That is an option, but the other player does not have to do that if he chooses not to.

Of course not, but you'll never know if you don't offer. He could feel that waiting for his turn to putt hurts him more than seeing his putt could help you. Who knows?

Make the offer, and if not, then ask him to move his marker.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Actually, the rules state that the player who is away should play first, so you should not suggest for him to break the rules.

However, that said, if you ask him to move his marker, you may remind him that he always has the option of playing out if he is asked to move his marker. If he putts out, that may be good for you, either way, his marker won't be interfering with your next shot.

cheers,
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by spidey View Post
    Actually, the rules state that the player who is away should play first, so you should not suggest for him to break the rules.
    It's not a violation to play out of turn, notwithstanding the match play scenarios.

In some cases it's a matter of etiquette for the closer person to go first. Take for example the situation where you are closer than me but I will have to stand on your line/marker if I play first.

In that situation I can ask you if you would like to play first to avoid me stepping on your line. You don't have to do it of course, but it is good form for me to ask.

I didn't say it was a violation of the rules, and I didn't say that it was a violation of etiquette either.

The rules say that a player who is away should play first. Nothing more.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Not trying to split hairs, but you did say "you should not suggest for him to break the rules."

I was just pointing out that playing out of turn does not result in a penalty in stroke play.

OK, lemme clarify.

I didn't say it, but my intent was to confer that it is a rule, there is a penalty, but you don't have to break the rule in order to get what you want in the situation.

The rule says that the person who is away should play. If there is an advantage gained by a player playing out of turn, then there could be a penalty, but in normal play, even if there is a rule, there is rarely a penalty for playing out of turn.

Either way, my intent was to highlight that there was a better way of approaching the situation. YMMV.

Cheers,

[/color]

But it's not a rule, and there is no penalty for playing out of turn in stroke play. the rules say should, not must.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    But it's not a rule,
    Rule 10: Order of Play certainly is a rule.

there is no penalty for playing out of turn in stroke play.
    Correct.

Playing Out of Turn - Stroke Play
    If a competitor plays out of turn, there is no penalty and the ball is played as it lies. If, however, the Committee determines that competitors have agreed to play out of turn to give one of them an advantage, they are disqualified.
    Playing Out of Turn - Match Play
    If a player plays when his opponent should have played, there is no penalty, but the opponent may immediately require the player to cancel the stroke so made and, in correct order, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).
    the rules say should, not must.
    The rule says neither of the above.

After both players have started play of the hole, the ball farther from the hole is played first. If the balls are equidistant from the hole or their positions relative to the hole are not determinable, the ball to be played first should be decided by lot.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 07-11-2008 at 09:20 AM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Guess I just wasn't thinking of it as a rule because there's no penalty. Don't know why I thought it said 'should', except that that's what it amounts to.

Thread Information