100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar

Most ridiculous pin placement you've ever seen?

I played Copperdale today, and they had one of the most ridiculous pin placements I've ever seen. On the sixth hole (a very small green), the pin was placed on a steep hill in the middle of the green. If you didn't sink the putt it was coming back to you. Two people in my group had 10-12 foot putts from below the hole that stopped about 4 inches past the cup, paused and then rolled back down the hill to where they started. And this was on a green that isn't very quick!

It didn't help that there were no yardage markers on the hole, so we had no clue what to hit into the green.

Hybrid Riddell is on a distinguished road
    I played Prescott in a tournament last year and one of the pins was about 3 feet from the fringe, but doesn't sound like it has anything on yours.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Had one like that in Myrtle Beach a few years ago, I think the Pearl East. Of our foursome, all had at least two shots go up and back. On my last attempt the ball somehow stopped and I got to it and tapped it in before it rolled back down. Did not help that it was a driving rain storm at the time.

I read somewhere that there was an unofficial "rule" that the holes were not supposed to be placed less than a pace from the fringe or the edge of a hill/slope. I have seen a few at local courses that if you go a foot by you are down to the front fringe. Anyone have any idea what criteria are used for pin setting?

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    The pin position should have a flat surface for about 3 feet around the pin. One way to see if a pin is fair is to drop a ball near the pin and if it rolls away the pin is seems as unfair. I don't know if there is an official way to measure the slope around the pin.

I think the pin can't be closer that 3 pace from the fringe.

I am sure there is an official rule for all of this.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    glenmar 18 horse shoe green. The pin was 2-3 yards from the fringe behind he bunker. Unless you were pin high you didn't even have a shot at the flag... While on the putting green
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    We have a new greenskeeper in Buckingham this year and he has quite the sense of humour (Or not)A lot of his pin placements are on the top of mounds and are very tricky to make.I was at the Canadian for a couple of years and was getting used to the greens there but,when your putting past the hole and have to come back almost every time it sort of gets frustrating.Two and three puts are pretty common.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Many moons ago when I started golfing, I was a member at Riverbend and playing in my first club championship, a new grounds crew employee was asked to set the pins Sunday morning before we teed off. The head greenskeeper explained to the young lad who was to set the pins that he wasn't to cut any of the holes closer than a flag sticks length from the side of any green. Apparently newbie misunderstood, and cut every hole exactly one flag length from the side of every green. 18 holes, 18 tucked pins, and numerous upset members. Unlike the placements at Copperdale & Buckingham, this was an honest mistake.
    As for 18 at GlenMar...yikes. Didn't that one get votes in this forum for worst hole in the region?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Canadian, about 7-8 years ago. Can't remember which hole, but it is two tiered. The hole was placed on the slope, halfway up. If you were below the hole and hit your putt and it didn't go in, the ball would come right back to you. Mini-golf at its best.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Manderley South 4. At the very front of the green it's the same situation, except ithe ball can roll 20 - 30 feet off the green down the hill. Impossible to stop. The head greenskeeper says it's not to be used to place pins, but it's been there twice this season.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy963 View Post
    I played Copperdale today, and they had one of the most ridiculous pin placements I've ever seen. On the sixth hole (a very small green), the pin was placed on a steep hill in the middle of the green. If you didn't sink the putt it was coming back to you. Two people in my group had 10-12 foot putts from below the hole that stopped about 4 inches past the cup, paused and then rolled back down the hill to where they started. And this was on a green that isn't very quick!
    There is a 9-hole course south of Ottawa called Sandy Row that has a short par-3 like that. If you missed the hole on the way up you sometimes caught it on the way down!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Anything on top of the dead elephant in the middle of the 4th green at Upper Canada....

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Canadian, about 7-8 years ago. Can't remember which hole, but it is two tiered. The hole was placed on the slope, halfway up. If you were below the hole and hit your putt and it didn't go in, the ball would come right back to you. Mini-golf at its best.
    Jeff, I saw that exact pin placement there last year. The hole was actually cut perpendicular to the slope (not vertical) so the pin was on an angle. Unreal!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    There is a 9-hole course south of Ottawa called Sandy Row that has a short par-3 like that. If you missed the hole on the way up you sometimes caught it on the way down!
    I played in a money scramble there, on one of the par 3's th pin was in the middle of the slope. Our 4 man team made bogey and felt lucky. The group behind us made triple. Yup, 6 on a par 3 with 4 decent golfers in a scramble. 18 times they putted up that hill (and back it came) until one of them made it.

The team we were with chipped in for birdie. 0 putts, go figure!
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Anything on top of the dead elephant in the middle of the 4th green at Upper Canada....
    Or on another dead elephant on the 17th at Upper Canada...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    For some reason, after only reading the title of the thread, I knew what was going to be posted. Don't worry Paddy, that placement is supposed to be moved by Sunday. It is in a rather stupid spot isn't it? Although, I did birdie it on Sat morning.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    For some reason, after only reading the title of the thread, I knew what was going to be posted. Don't worry Paddy, that placement is supposed to be moved by Sunday. It is in a rather stupid spot isn't it? Although, I did birdie it on Sat morning.
    Nice birdie! I figured it was someone new or someone who just wasn't paying close attention because there's no way they could have put it where they did on purpose. Thinking back now I can laugh about it, but when I was playing the hole there was no laughing . I guess that's why I'm carrying someone else's bag next week for intersectionals instead of playing myself. I let the little things get to me too much.

Bouche
    #18 at camelot when we had the big false front. On the last day of the club championship they put it right at the front. It is an elevated green that adds at least a club and a half on your approach shot. Hard to hold the green and the balls run off the green into a collection area. Thats when the fun starts! You sit there and watch people all day chunk it back down to the point where the ball rolls behind you. Best realistic but tough pin and an awesome final hole.

Thread Information