100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Putting woes?

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar

Putting woes?

Having trouble consistently sinking those 8 footers? Or maybe it's those testy 3 footers? It may not be your technique, but your mental approach. Here's a scenario:
    You're 8 feet from the hole with an uphill, fairly straight putt for par. You've determine where you want to send the ball, moved to the side of the ball and made a couple of practice strokes to determine the speed, and moved up to the ball to assume the proper alignment and posture. You've taken that last look at the target.......now what?
    A lot of golfers will now freeze over the ball for up to 10 seconds. What's happening in those seconds: "I need to make this putt", or "am I going to make it?", or maybe "I'll take a 2-putt bogey on this hole". All of these, and others, are negative thoughts. They will generate 2 things: tension and doubt, both of which will ruin your stroke. You'll probably decelerate going through the ball causing it to come up short, or start the putter head to "wobble" and not make solid contact.
    Suggestion: once you've made those practice strokes and gotten your alignment and posture, forget about the hole. Instead, concentrate on just the stroke you've just grooved on those practice strokes. Bring the eyes back to the ball and pull the trigger. Don't hesitate. In short, trust your stroke.
    One other suggestion: on putts shorter than 5 feet, never watch the ball go into the hole. Keep your head still and your eyes on the spot where the ball was prior to the stroke. This will help stop you from changing your posture to watch the ball even before you make contact. That's going to throw off your putter path. Maybe on 1 or 2 degrees, but if you've lined it up perfectly and make the perfect stroke for that line, you'll probably miss that putt because of the posture change. You'll know whether the ball went in because you'll hear it. Trust yourself and trust your stroke, and you'll "hear" more of those short putts dropping.

Sand Wedge Mightiestmik is on a distinguished road
    I've been using this for putting lately and I've never putted better, I do exactly as Tiger demonstrates in the video, less the 360 degree walk around cause that takes way too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iN70VX2qvg

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by oneputtbobby View Post
    I can't seem to get my total putts under 28 per round. The only thing that I can see wrong is that the greens at my club are not consistant. Should I tell the greenskeeper to smarten up or just leave things alone and put up with the ones we have? Thing is he's a twit and might snap if i confront him.

28 putts per round, if that's your average, is very good. I wouldn't worry about anything, seems to me you're doing fine.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    Bobby, I wouldn't be too concerned with an average of 28 putts per round. The Tour average is 29.22, and Luke Donald is #1 in putts per round with 27.67. I'd say you were doing very well indeed.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneputtbobby View Post
    I can't seem to get my total putts under 28 per round.
    Miss more greens, your number of putts should go down

Sand Wedge Mightiestmik is on a distinguished road
    28 puts per round is good, I think... the other day I putted Amazing on the front 9 and had 12 on the front, and then 16 on the back for 28 total.... I also never 3 putted.... and I holed out on a chip in once.

Thread Information