CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

Can anyone think of a situation in which a ball must be dropped on the green?

I don't know the answer but was thinking of a few situations in which someone would be required or would be able to drop on the green
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Dropping on green

#9 at Amherstview Golf club (west of Kingston).
    The front and sides of the green is completely dirt as it is ground under repair.
    Infront of the surrounded dirt is water. The local ruling (as to my playing partner who is a member) is to place the ball on the green as close a possible to where it landed and no closer to the hole.
    I landed to the left (plugged) and took a free drop on the edge of the green, where I was able to take a normal stance. I had to drop the ball on the on angle below the hole. I think they should have a drop area.
    Bite, Bite!

I was thinking if you were on the green but one of your feet was off the green and resting on a sprinkler head, you would get to drop on the green.
    willy

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Tigershot
    Probably an illegal LR
    If the ball is 'through the green' the ball must be dropped and the npr must not be on a putting green.
    As you say, there should be a DZ.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Silly, in the situation you described you would not drop but you would place the ball. If the ball is originally lying on the green you will place it and as AAA said if it's off the green you can't drop on the green.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Silly, in the situation you described you would not drop but you would place the ball. If the ball is originally lying on the green you will place it and as AAA said if it's off the green you can't drop on the green.
    Oh my mistake, I can think of one situation in which you can drop on the green but I'm saving it because I didn't think about it... read it, thats why gave me the idea for this thread
    willy

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Oh my mistake, I can think of one situation in which you can drop on the green but I'm saving it because I didn't think about it... read it, thats why gave me the idea for this thread
    A branch of a tree over hangs a putting green and your ball is lodged in the branch. After identifying the ball as yours, you declare it unplayable and drop the ball within two club lengths of the point directly underneath where the ball was declared unplayable, on the putting green. How did I do?

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    A branch of a tree over hangs a putting green and your ball is lodged in the branch. After identifying the ball as yours, you declare it unplayable and drop the ball within two club lengths of the point directly underneath where the ball was declared unplayable, on the putting green. How did I do?
    Very imaginitive! That makes sense to me... if only I knew a L3 rules offical to confirm that with LOL
    willy

I'll confirm that one.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I'll confirm that one.
    Decision 28/11.
    Q. A player’s ball is eight feet off the ground, lodged in a tree. The player deems the ball unplayable. May the player proceed under option c of Rule 28 which permits him to drop a ball within two club-lengths of where his ball lay unplayable?

A. Yes. The player would be entitled to drop a ball within two club-lengths of the point on the ground immediately below the place where the ball lay in the tree. In some instances this may allow the player to drop a ball on a putting green.

Don't you have all these decisions memorized, yet?

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    How about finding your ball in a casual puddle in the middle of the green?

Relief must be available for this situation??

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I have on many occassions seen times when a PGA tournament has been declared 'lift, clean and place' due to the conditions.
    In those tournaments I have seen players lift, clean and place balls which were just off the green into positions on the green where they could putt.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Faldo, if the ball is on the green and in casual water you must place it, not drop, even if the npr is off the green.

Apex, you are not allowed to drop on the green if getting relief while the ball is not on the green so if they were taking their club length they would not be able to go on the green but could be very close to it.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Faldo, if the ball is on the green and in casual water you must place it, not drop, even if the npr is off the green.

Apex, you are not allowed to drop on the green if getting relief while the ball is not on the green so if they were taking their club length they would not be able to go on the green but could be very close to it.
    Perhaps, however I have definitely seen it done. I can remember one time distinctly watching Mickelson do it in a lift, clean place tournament and thinking "is that legal?".
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I have on many occassions seen times when a PGA tournament has been declared 'lift, clean and place' due to the conditions.
    In those tournaments I have seen players lift, clean and place balls which were just off the green into positions on the green where they could putt.
    The LR that the PGA uses conforms exactly with the specimen in the Appendix.
    It specifically states 'place' .... 'not on the green'

Thread Information