CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

Exposed landscape fabric in bunker / drainage pipe in fairway

I was playing at Loch March last night and one of my shots ended up in a greenside bunker. 3 inches behind my ball there was about 18 inches of exposed landscape fabric which ran perpindicular to my line. It was close enough that I could have hit it during my swing or maybe just miss it (as it turned out, I didn't hit it... but fatted my shot and left it in the bunker!). As the bunker is a hazard, I'm not sure what relief I might be entitled to.

Would I be entitled to any relief if I would definitely have struck the fabric during my swing? What if it was questionable that I would hit the fabric?

And... another somehwhat related ruling. What happens if your ball comes to rest on or very near an exposed piece of drainage pipe in the middle of the fairway that is not marked as GUR? Immovable obstruction and 1-club length free relief?

Thanks.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I was playing at Loch March last night and one of my shots ended up in a greenside bunker. 3 inches behind my ball there was about 18 inches of exposed landscape fabric which ran perpindicular to my line. It was close enough that I could have hit it during my swing or maybe just miss it (as it turned out, I didn't hit it... but fatted my shot and left it in the bunker!). As the bunker is a hazard, I'm not sure what relief I might be entitled to.

Would I be entitled to any relief if I would definitely have struck the fabric during my swing? What if it was questionable that I would hit the fabric?

And... another somehwhat related ruling. What happens if your ball comes to rest on or very near an exposed piece of drainage pipe in the middle of the fairway that is not marked as GUR? Immovable obstruction and 1-club length free relief?

Thanks.
    Not a rules official but I would have thought you were entitled to free releif BUT you have to drop in bunker no closer to hole.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    Not a rules official but I would have thought you were entitled to free releif BUT you have to drop in bunker no closer to hole.
    Correct
    Rule 24-2b (ii) (a)

The liner is an immovable obstructiom

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    What happens if your ball comes to rest on or very near an exposed piece of drainage pipe in the middle of the fairway that is not marked as GUR? Immovable obstruction and 1-club length free relief?

Thanks.
    The exposed pipe is an immovable obstruction. Free relief under 24-2b(i).

Assuming that the pipe is not in fact an intentionally open drain.

Thread Information