CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

Question about order of relief

Something close to this situation happened to me today and given the amount of rain we keep getting it may happen again so I figure I should ask.

My tee shot came to rest in casual water on a cart path. The ball was on the right side of the path about 1 foot from the edge.

My question is, which should I take relief from first, the water or the path?

The way the water was pooled on the cartpath if I had taken relief from the water first my relief would have been on the cartpath, but closer to the left edge. Presumably I would have then taken relief from the path which would have been on the left side of the path.

However, if I had taken relief from the path first my nearest relief could have been on the right side of the path.

In my particular situation today I couldn't take relief on the right because the relief would have put me in a hazard but on a different path that would not necessarily been the case.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Regardless of the casual water, would relief from the cart path not be the priority, considering you are on the cart path?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Not necessarily. Consider the case where the relief from the path puts you in a bad spot. In that case you would just hit the ball off the path.

In that situation I would (assuming I can) just take relief from the water.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Not necessarily. Consider the case where the relief from the path puts you in a bad spot. In that case you would just hit the ball off the path.

In that situation I would (assuming I can) just take relief from the water.

I thought about that after, and to me that would make sense. You just beat me to the punch.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Under decision 25-1b/11.5 you would be able to choose which order you wish to take your relief but you can't combine them and take relief from both together. I hope that helps.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The way the water was pooled on the cartpath if I had taken relief from the water first my relief would have been on the cartpath, but closer to the left edge. Presumably I would have then taken relief from the path which would have been on the left side of the path.
    To be precise, your NPR from the water would have been on the cart path but closer to the left edge. You don't actually know whether or not you are entitled to relief from the cart path after that until you drop your ball within one club-length of your NPR from the water.

I believe that is what Gerry is getting at when he says you cannot combine your relief. You take your relief from one and drop, and then see if and where you would take relief from the other.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    To be precise, your NPR from the water would have been on the cart path but closer to the left edge. You don't actually know whether or not you are entitled to relief from the cart path after that until you drop your ball within one club-length of your NPR from the water.

I believe that is what Gerry is getting at when he says you cannot combine your relief. You take your relief from one and drop, and then see if and where you would take relief from the other.
    One of the principles when taking relief is to use the club with which the shot would be played if the condition was not there. Depending on surrounding conditions, the club used to take relief from the CW may be different from the one used to take relief from the CP and a reason why relief is taken one condition at a time. Plus, as mentioned above, the option of playing the ball from where it is dropped, always exists.

Similar to John's predicament is that sometimes, taking relief from a cart path may put him in casual water and taking relief from this casual water, may put him back on the same spot on the cart path. What then? While the rule states that relief from the conditions must be taken ONE at a time, under this circumstance, relief MAY be taken from BOTH, at the same time, so there is an exception to the one at a time principle.

See 1-4/8 and 1-4/8.5 for specifics.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    You pick , 1 or the other first , or both

You already know ,if you only have the 1 interference , say on the path and relief from path puts you in c/water , and further relief from c/water returns you to the path , you then combine the pair

Just a sidetrack , an interesting debate I read a while ago , which no definitive answer was found for
    Your ball plugs on a wrong putting green , relief from the plugged ball would give you a NPR from the WPG on the opposite side of the green and a clear shot to the flag
    Simply dropping off the green first would leave you behind trees

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    Your ball plugs on a wrong putting green , relief from the plugged ball would give you a NPR from the WPG on the opposite side of the green
    There is no NPR for a plugged ball. It must be dropped as near a possible to the spot where it lay. How do you get to the opposite side of the green?

The ball is plugged close to center of the green , which is sloping
    You take the drop for the plugged ball , it rolls a few feet
    Now when following 25-3 , the NPR is on the opposite side of the green
    As opposed to simply following 25-3 , unplugging the ball in the same action ....if you see what I mean

Sometimes the rules are on your side

The debate was wether 25-3 took presidence over 25-2
    Does the "must" drop illiminate the right to take relief from the plugged ball

No

A players ball is 3 inches from the edge of a wrong green.
    As the fringe drops nastily downwards into deep deep rough , dropping the ball would see the player in an ugly position

So the player marks the ball , cleans it , and places it 3 inches off the green

Following the same logic as the plugged ball senerio , youd allow this ?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    A players ball is 3 inches from the edge of a wrong green.
    As the fringe drops nastily downwards into deep deep rough , dropping the ball would see the player in an ugly position

So the player marks the ball , cleans it , and places it 3 inches off the green

Following the same logic as the plugged ball senerio , youd allow this ?
    He is required to drop the ball under both 25-2 and 25-3.

His ball is on a closely mown area thru the green ...he is entitled to lift clean and place withen 6 inches , if clean and place is in play

If a player can take relief for a plugged ball on a wrong green , before dropping off the wrong green
    What stops him clean and placing before dropping off a wrong green ? in the above case he doesnt need to drop off the wrong green because his placing of the ball has taken him clear , remember stance on the wrong green isnt interference

, if clean and place is in play
    When was that mentioned before ?
    Give the full story first.

Sorry , went off track , this should be in hypothetical

I simply brought up a new senerio to expand on your thought of the "Must" drop under 25-3 taking precidence over any other options the player may have

Thread Information