CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    thats BS if he signs for a lot of money is russia I will be very upset. The guy is getting rewarded for being a...
    I would rather he sign for a lot of money over there than sign for little here then come back and haunt the Sens!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    thats BS if he signs for a lot of money is russia I will be very upset. The guy is getting rewarded for being a...
    I think Emery is getting exactly what he deserves.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post

My first reaction was "Jason Who?". I have to admit that I don't follow the NHL as much as I did when there were six teams (oops dating myself) but best signing ever... sarcasim me thinks. Check out his bio...Age 35, younger than me, but old by NHL standards. Last year with a +/- above +1.. 2003-2004. Described in some reports as a character player and "gritty". Last year played 77 games, 83 penalty minutes... if that's gritty then my wife should lace up her figure skates... last two years he has scored 11, 10 points... no Chara, Redden or Corvo. Brian M. is looking for character, maybe he got it, but character don't put the puck in the net... time will tell, but definately better than the "finger".
    Nobody expects Jason Smith to be a point producer. He's a top 4 D-man, a shut down guy who doesn't take any crap and will be great on the PK. There's a reason why he only had 83 PiMS last year - he doesn't take stupid penalties. Besides, if you're looking to replace Chara, Redden, or Corvo at 2.6 mill, good luck.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Can you just imagine what they will do to him over there is he pulls some of the crap he did over here???? Something tells me there would be some 'justice' served if he goes after someone with his vehicle
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

My first reaction was "Jason Who?".
    My first reaction was "Why do we need another Anton Volchenkov?" I thought we were looking for a defenceman who could skate and move the puck?? Then I saw the price and realized what a great deal it was.

If he helps Meszaros develop into the kind of puck-moving defenceman who can score that he can be, then I think it will be a good move. Otherwise, teams will just continue to dump the puck into the corners like they did last year and the Sens will be playing most of the game in their end.

I just hope Murray isn't over-reacting by loading up on all these "character" guys. You need talent throughout the line-up too.

Emery is a talented goalie who needed to grow up. A year in Russia might be just the wake-up call he needs to do that. If he thought Buffalo was boring...

I think he'll be back in the NHL in 2009.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Emery is a talented goalie who needed to grow up. A year in Russia might be just the wake-up call he needs to do that. If he thought Buffalo was boring...

if he pulls that ish with the russians and their mob owned hockey teams... he is going to end up dead
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    2.6/season for Smith is a bargain unless he completely tanks, which is unlikely.

I wouldn't really consider playing in Russia a 'punishment' for Emery. The guy still got his buyout, and will still get 2mil a year with his new team. I doubt he will emerge a changed man at the end of the season either. If you have no work ethic where you're 26 you're not going to have one at 27.

Maybe when Emery is old, and wrinkly and riding around town in a pimped-out wheelchair he'll look back and realize just what he squandered.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Moscow is anything but boring!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    You guys really think Smith is a top 4 guy at this point in his career? He's looked pretty slow to me the past couple years, and he turns the puck over a lot for a 'defensive defenseman'. I still think he's a decent signing at that price, and a heck of a deal compared to Commodore, but I wouldn't expect too much from him.

He's top 4 on this team right now. Based on who is currently signed:

1. Phillips
    2. Volchenkov
    3. Lee
    4. Smith
    5. Shubert
    6. Nycholat

Smith might slide down to the five hole if / when Meszaros signs. Regardless, he's a good fit and is an upgrade over Richardson.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    He's top 4 on this team right now. Based on who is currently signed:

1. Phillips
    2. Volchenkov
    3. Lee
    4. Smith
    5. Shubert
    6. Nycholat

Smith might slide down to the five hole if / when Meszaros signs. Regardless, he's a good fit and is an upgrade over Richardson.

This list is anything but inspiring. But in all fairness, I do like this list more without Meszaros' name on it. He's been nothing but brutal since his rookie year.

I hope the Sens can score goals in bunches next season.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

If you do add Meszaros, and have him play with Smith, then you can live with Shubert and Nycholat as the 5-6 tandem playing 12 minutes a night or so together. That being said, I don't think Ottawa wants Phillips and Volchenkov playing together... so the pairings might be?

Phillips - Lee
    Volchenkov - Shubert
    Smith - Meszaros

Perhaps not inspiring, but functional.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Wow... must be scary to be a Sens fan... The forward lines don't look much better.

Smith is a good signing for the price. I think there are a lot of guys out there getting paid much more who don't give you anything more than Smith will...

Lee is a very good prospect. Hopefully fans will be patient with him. They need Meszaros because you have to have at least 7 d-men to start the season...

If you do add Meszaros, and have him play with Smith, then you can live with Shubert and Nycholat as the 5-6 tandem playing 12 minutes a night or so together. That being said, I don't think Ottawa wants Phillips and Volchenkov playing together... so the pairings might be?

Phillips - Lee
    Volchenkov - Shubert
    Smith - Meszaros

Perhaps not inspiring, but functional.
    I would be very surprised if Phillips and Volchenkov were split up. I predict the pairings will be:

Phillips & Volchenkov
    Smith & Meszaros
    Schubert & Lee

The top 4 play the PK, with Meszaros, Schubert and Lee on the point for the PP (with Alfie).

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

My first reaction was "Jason Who?". I have to admit that I don't follow the NHL as much as I did when there were six teams (oops dating myself) but best signing ever... sarcasim me thinks. Check out his bio...Age 35, younger than me, but old by NHL standards. Last year with a +/- above +1.. 2003-2004. Described in some reports as a character player and "gritty". Last year played 77 games, 83 penalty minutes... if that's gritty then my wife should lace up her figure skates... last two years he has scored 11, 10 points... no Chara, Redden or Corvo. Brian M. is looking for character, maybe he got it, but character don't put the puck in the net... time will tell, but definately better than the "finger".
    Jason Who? Jason who helped lead Edmonton to the cup final, who captained Philly for the last 2 years, and who is one of only 3 players with over 600 blocked shots since the 05-06 season. Not to mention he is strong as an ox in front of the net (something the Sens are sorely lacking) and plays sound defensive hockey night in, night out.

The Sens' past focus on puck moving defencemen has led them to lose Chara, dump 13 mil on Redden's plate, and keep throwing ice-time at Meszaros the human turnover. Sure, puck moving defencemen are nice, but first and foremost, defence is about playing defensively. With their atrocious goals against tally last year, it should be a no brainer that the first priority on the back end is defense. I'm glad that at least the management have realized what some fans don't.

They will definitely keep Phillips-Volchenkov together and pair Smith with Lee. Lee could, and will learn so much playing with a guy like Smith. Hopefully they then pick up another d-man to play with Schubert as I don't have a huge amount of faith in Nycholat. The farther Meszaros is from the rink, the better.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I hear that Emery is headed over to Russia to play.
    He better change his tude if he goes over there to play. If not he'll be working 500 feet underground in a coal mine
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Baxter
    If people can't figure out what Toronto is doing?? My god people wake up...They need to spend $40.mil a year ...Mr.Fingers was the lucky winner of some of that money being spent. Toronto is not looking at winning next year...They are looking at the 1st pick Overall. Don't forget sitting McCabe will be against the cap as well, and they will sit him for a while. People can say what they want but the Leafs are hoping to lose 60 games and get the 1 pick...a Young Super Star to rebuild around.
    There are a couple of huge issues that play into the Leafs getting that first pick - 1st issue - was signing Cujo. He just might win more than he loses...
    2- It's a Lottery so they are 100% sure of the 1st pick even if they finish last. Will have better odds, but not 100% I hope they screw this up as well. Now that will be funny.. Can't lose for losing...LOL

I hope Fingers turns out to be a Super Star for all the crap that is being said about him now. 2 years he wins the Norris...at least he may have a shot unlike a certain player wearing number 15..Now that is a waste of money. It's better money spent on McCabe sitting the whole year than that junk pile. O ya and fix your makeup your cheeks are all RED...

Cheers,

Go Boston GO....to the middle of the pack at best.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Point noted. My point however was how many warriors, players with grit and character players do we need? I'm comfortable with Murray as he has a good history of making something out of nothing but on the surface, IMHO, it seems that he has gone over the edge to counteract the problems "in the room". The game is played on the ice (I do watch a game ocassionally Hacker) and only time will tell if those players will make Ottawa a contender again. Hope so, but I'm skeptical at this point in time. Does chemistry make a good team, or does a good team create chemistry?

My point however was how many warriors, players with grit and character players do we need?
    more, as we have very few.

Why is it the Habs can sign a guy like Josh Gorges, who is 23 yrs old, played 62 straight games this year, finished with a +/- of zero, can play in many different situations FOR ONLY $1.1M a season !!!

How can the Leafs pay $3.5M for a guy that has bare;y played 62 games in his career and is obviously a VERY slow developper...

I guess it is clear why the Leafs keep stuggling and the Habs are rebuilding... and strong!!!

If Gorges gets $1.1M a season, what is Meszaros worth?

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    more, as we have very few.
    Yeah, only Phillips, Volchenkov, Smith, Fisher, Neil, Bass, Schubert and now Ruutu. I could also include Richardson and Carkner but I don't think they'll make the team.

Detroit has the kind of defence you need to succeed. Solid positional play from all 5 guys on the ice, with a combination of checkers and puck-movers on the back end. Retrieve the puck or make the check, and then get the puck out to your forwards - they hardly spend any time in their own end. Their gritty, character guy (Chelios) spent most of the playoffs in the press box.

Yes you have to make defensive plays, but then you have to do something with the puck afterwards. The Sens big problem last year was not making checks, it was clearing the zone. Even if they won the faceoff they would end up getting pinned in their own end. With both Redden and Corvo gone, Lee and Meszaros have to step up or they need to find a defenceman who can pass and skate.

Yeah, only Phillips, Volchenkov, Smith, Fisher, Neil, Bass, Schubert and now Ruutu. I could also include Richardson and Carkner but I don't think they'll make the team.

Detroit has the kind of defence you need to succeed. Solid positional play from all 5 guys on the ice, with a combination of checkers and puck-movers on the back end. Retrieve the puck or make the check, and then get the puck out to your forwards - they hardly spend any time in their own end. Their gritty, character guy (Chelios) spent most of the playoffs in the press box.

Yes you have to make defensive plays, but then you have to do something with the puck afterwards. The Sens big problem last year was not making checks, it was clearing the zone. Even if they won the faceoff they would end up getting pinned in their own end. With both Redden and Corvo gone, Lee and Meszaros have to step up or they need to find a defenceman who can pass and skate.
    First, you can never have too many gritty guys. Second, Bass, Schubert, Neil, and Volchenkov hardly belong in that category. Neil's 'grit', while at times useful, usually ends with him in the penalty box at the worst possible time. Volchenkov, while gutsy and capable of a big hit, has spent the last two years throwing himself horribly out of position in order to block shots. Bass can hardly qualify as anything with only a handful of games under his belt. And Schubert is solid, but at this stage in his career is not quite the experienced, character player the Sens need.

I DO agree that their biggest problem was getting the puck out of the zone. Mainly, however, that was a result of a combination of atrocious defensive zone coverage, resulting in scrambled breakouts and a failure to recognize that off the boards and out is always preferable to a bungled exchange between defence and forwards.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I become more concerned every day with the "moves" the Sens are making. In fairness, the media is in a frenzy looking to make something out of nothing. The signing of Bell does not impress, given his resumé. I believe Assistant/Defence Coach Hunt's name was mentioned some time ago when the new coach was signed. Not sure of his creds and maybe he was the best available. With the media saying that there is little left on the open market then the only thing left for Mr. Murray is to trade. Who is on the block? If we are looking for "grit" and "locker room" guys then how about Spezza (just give me a minute to get my soft body armour on). Talent out the ying-yang but successive coaches have failed to get him to find his two-way talent. The games he does go both ways he is dominant. When will he clue in or should we give him up for a couple more Fishers (assuming there are any worth trading for)?

I certainly agree that nobody is safe. I had this discussion with an Ottawa fan last fall after Spezza was signed. He was adamant that we couldn't even consider trading Spezza. Well, in my mind, Spezza is one of the most vulnerable guys on the team, because he is such a defensive liability...and a streaky performer. We shouldnt necessarily be looking to trade him, but if the right deal comes along, he, and everybody else on the team, should be fair game.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I certainly agree that nobody is safe. I had this discussion with an Ottawa fan last fall after Spezza was signed. He was adamant that we couldn't even consider trading Spezza. Well, in my mind, Spezza is one of the most vulnerable guys on the team, because he is such a defensive liability...and a streaky performer. We shouldnt necessarily be looking to trade him, but if the right deal comes along, he, and everybody else on the team, should be fair game.
    Character players are all well and good, but this team's problem in the playoffs is ALWAYS scoring goals. It's not Martin Gerber, Patrick Lalime, or Ray Emery. Or lack of "character."
    Someone mentioned Mike Fisher...love him...but he literally went half the season with one goal. That's unacceptable for 4.5 million.
    When we sign Jason Williams, Vermette, and Mezsaros, and trade Chris Neil for pucks, we'll be all set.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

character might not put the puck in the net, but the Sens aren't needing more goals, they are needing less goals against and a better locker room. Smith should help out a lot in both areas!

$6M this year for Mike Fisher... and I thought the Leafs overpaid for players!!!

Alfie is the best character player the Sens have. He is a true leader. Once again the Sens will have one of the BEST lines in the league with Alfie, Heatley and Spezza.

After that, it will be a struggle once again to score goals.

And if we go with the lines that are being suggested by many of you, Bass and Foligno will start the season in Ottawa. There will be 1 scoring line (Alfie), one line that plays well both ways (Fisher), one grinding line and one line of I am not sure what...

Scary thing is, what happens if the Sens have injuries? Who do they call up?

It is time to make a trade to get 2 NHL players in return. Spezza would be the best candidate to move.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    $6M this year for Mike Fisher... and I thought the Leafs overpaid for players!!!

Alfie is the best character player the Sens have. He is a true leader. Once again the Sens will have one of the BEST lines in the league with Alfie, Heatley and Spezza.

After that, it will be a struggle once again to score goals.

And if we go with the lines that are being suggested by many of you, Bass and Foligno will start the season in Ottawa. There will be 1 scoring line (Alfie), one line that plays well both ways (Fisher), one grinding line and one line of I am not sure what...

Scary thing is, what happens if the Sens have injuries? Who do they call up?

It is time to make a trade to get 2 NHL players in return. Spezza would be the best candidate to move.
    6M this year, but the cap hit is only 4.2M each year for the next 5 so you have to look at the whole contract, not just one year. Fisher will need to stay healthy and will need to step up production, 30 goals and 70+ points should be in his range. He brings it every night but is prone to long scoring droughts. Not doubt, the scoring will be top heavy, but I don't think trading Spezza is the answer.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information