CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Driver bazooka Don is on a distinguished road
    #1 Hawks Fan,

I'm thinking there's no way the hawks are keeping these two goalies for the entire season. Even if Tallon says they are. One is definetly gone by the trade deadline. The Cambell signing although prolonged is exactly what the hawks have been looking for and I expect them to make and compete in the play-offs this year. Mind you that Hossa signing in Detroit is a little bit scary. My Stanley cup last year was when the Hawks came to town and beat the sens.

Go Hawks Go

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Dallas must have money to burn! 15.5 million over 4 years for Avery He will probably be suspended after the first game! LOL
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Dallas must have money to burn! 15.5 million over 4 years for Avery He will probably be suspended after the first game! LOL
    That's a lot of money ($5.5M) tied up in 300+ penalty minutes between Avery and Ott.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    That's a lot of money ($5.5M) tied up in 300+ penalty minutes between Avery and Ott.
    That signing makes no sense to me but I guess thats why I work for a living and I am not a General Manager

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Rob Blake is swimming upstream to the Sharks. Hmmmmmmmmmm we had a 28 year old free agent D who could skate with the wind and now we have a 38 year old D to replace him

Oh well he came at a cheaper rental rate
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Rob Blake is swimming upstream to the Sharks. Hmmmmmmmmmm we had a 28 year old free agent D who could skate with the wind and now we have a 38 year old D to replace him

I was kind of scratching my head at that one too

At least the sharks signed a NHL caliber d-man. The Sens Blueline is looking scary especially if the rumors are true and someone signs Mezaros to a crazy offer sheet

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    pit signed fleury to a 7 year 35 mil deal. They are doing a good job
    locking up their talent longterm and for very cheap. Crosby malkin and fleury together forever!
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Oh I can't wait for the Habs to play the Sens... Chris Neil... meet Big George!!! Awesome!!! Habs still need a big centre if they can, but no need to spend every penny left...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I was kind of scratching my head at that one too

At least the sharks signed a NHL caliber d-man. The Sens Blueline is looking scary especially if the rumors are true and someone signs Mezaros to a crazy offer sheet
    And now they have Dan Boyle. I'd say that's a pretty good replacement for Campbell.

I don't know what the Sens are waiting for. You're basically down to 4 d-men if someone poaches Meszaros. That's 30 minutes per game each.

I guess our Jeff Finger signing doesn't look so bad now.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I don't know what the Sens are waiting for. You're basically down to 4 d-men if someone poaches Meszaros. That's 30 minutes per game each.
    I think it is about 90% certain that Schubert will be playing defence full-time this year.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!??

Avangard Omsk of the Continental Hockey League have announced that they have signed Jaromir Jagr to a contract.
    No financial details were announced, but speculation was that he was offered a two-year/$35 million contract. Jagr, at age 36, looks unlikely to return to the NHL at this stage of his career, but will be a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame as soon as he is eligible
    willy

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Murray has not been impressive as a GM so far. If he does not sign any UFA d-men then you can be sure he will use one or some big names to bring them here or we will officially be in "re-building" mode. I cannot believe that the Sharks have more to offer than Ottawa, especially for Boyle unless its crazy money again, actually its probably for crazy money for sure.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

the best deals come towards the ends, sure you can pick up one guy for 7mil on day one.. Or you can can pick up 3-4 guys for the same price after a week or so and you will get much more out of them than 1 7mil player
    willy

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Murray has not been impressive as a GM so far. If he does not sign any UFA d-men then you can be sure he will use one or some big names to bring them here or we will officially be in "re-building" mode. I cannot believe that the Sharks have more to offer than Ottawa, especially for Boyle unless its crazy money again, actually its probably for crazy money for sure.
    It's partly the length, 5 more years at 6.67M / year. If it were 2-3 years I think the deal could have been done but he's almost 32 so he's there is a risk there. They would want Mezaros or Vermette back (likely Mezaros) and likely a pick.

Ottawa made their big signings last year, with Spezza, Heatley, Fisher, Philips, Volchenkov, the last two we got as an absolute steal and the first 3 all under market value. If any of those guys went to free agency, they would ALL command significantly more $ than what they are making here. The fact that Murray was able to get these guys signed shows that he is doing the right things (along with Kelly just recently). Also, we got Alfie under contract for 4 more years, at probably 3-4M per YEAR less than he would make in free agency. It may look easy from the stands, but being a GM in the NHL today is tough. Look at all the mistakes that have been made and all the buyouts going on. It's easy to write the cheque, its writing the cheque to the right guy at the right $ value that counts.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I cannot believe that the Sharks have more to offer than Ottawa, especially for Boyle unless its crazy money again, actually its probably for crazy money for sure.
    Boyle is not a UFA. He signed an extension with Tampa last year - six years @ $39 million - but the new owners don't want to keep him. It's a lot of money for a long time - not everyone can afford it.

I'm not surprised or alarmed that Ottawa hasn't gone on a UFA spending spree. Its not their style and never has been. Their club is built from drafts and trades.

I look at the free agent market in the same way as buying golf clubs at full retail price - its a lot of money to spend to get something shiny and new, so you can feel good when you bring them home and everyone else can tell you how great they are. Whether they actually work or not remains to be seen - but its going to cost you a lot of money regardless.

Here's the current lists of UFA & RFA defencemen.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents...one&status=ufa

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents...one&status=rfa

A few names that pop out right away are Bouwmeester & Gorges (RFA's), and Jason Smith & Malik (UFA's).

Other than that, the pickings are pretty slim.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Boyle is not a UFA. He signed an extension with Tampa last year - six years @ $39 million - but the new owners don't want to keep him. It's a lot of money for a long time - not everyone can afford it.

I'm not surprised or alarmed that Ottawa hasn't gone on a UFA spending spree. Its not their style and never has been. Their club is built from drafts and trades.

I look at the free agent market in the same way as buying golf clubs at full retail price - its a lot of money to spend to get something shiny and new, so you can feel good when you bring them home and everyone else can tell you how great they are. Whether they actually work or not remains to be seen - but its going to cost you a lot of money regardless.
    So what you are saying is the sens are the Geoff of the NHL... they never buy new, always used and then trade it away?
    willy

Here's the current lists of UFA & RFA defencemen.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents...one&status=ufa

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents...one&status=rfa

A few names that pop out right away are Bouwmeester & Gorges (RFA's), and Jason Smith & Malik (UFA's).

Other than that, the pickings are pretty slim.
    Looks like it's Jason Smith.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2428...=topStory_main

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Solid.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    That is a GREAT signing for the sens imo.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

wow, at that price I would have locked him up for as long as possible!
    willy

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Oh no. Stupid Senators! Why didn't you overpay for a marquis name in the first 2 days of free agency? Why did you wait for the dust to settle and sign a great defenceman who fills a big gap for a great price? IDIOTS.

Best....Signing....Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Best....Signing....Ever.
    Agreed, this guy is going to make less than what redden made in one year and the sens are better off with him anyway! Wicked signing. Like I said before, the teams that go out ans gin the top agents for all this crazy money are missing out on some basement prices on the players still waiting to sign. I don't think ottawa is done yet. They still have a bit of cap space. I'm shocked the leafs didn't sign him. I know they are saving 7mil to sign sundin for give up already! I'm so happy the sens made this move.
    willy

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Agreed, this guy is going to make less than what redden made in one year and the sens are better off with him anyway! Wicked signing. Like I said before, the teams that go out ans gin the top agents for all this crazy money are missing out on some basement prices on the players still waiting to sign. I don't think ottawa is done yet. They still have a bit of cap space. I'm shocked the leafs didn't sign him. I know they are saving 7mil to sign sundin for give up already! I'm so happy the sens made this move.
    Haha...ya...i just had this discussion with my friend, who is a leafs fan. Jeff Finger at 3.5 a year, or Jason Smith at 2.6. Needless to say, he is not impressed.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Haha...ya...i just had this discussion with my friend, who is a leafs fan. Jeff Finger at 3.5 a year, or Jason Smith at 2.6. Needless to say, he is not impressed.

ya, but our media doesn't get to make witty quotes about the fans getting the finger.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    ya, but our media doesn't get to make witty quotes about the fans getting the finger.
    i can't believe finger makes more than smith... what the hell is wrong with cliff? I'm sure finger will do great in Toronto, he is a stay at home defenceman but still... way to overpay for a guy no one else wanted :S

I can't wait to see who else goes really cheap now. The list of UFAs is pretty long
    willy

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Oh no. Stupid Senators! Why didn't you overpay for a marquis name in the first 2 days of free agency? Why did you wait for the dust to settle and sign a great defenceman who fills a big gap for a great price? IDIOTS.
    Best....Signing....Ever.

My first reaction was "Jason Who?". I have to admit that I don't follow the NHL as much as I did when there were six teams (oops dating myself) but best signing ever... sarcasim me thinks. Check out his bio...Age 35, younger than me, but old by NHL standards. Last year with a +/- above +1.. 2003-2004. Described in some reports as a character player and "gritty". Last year played 77 games, 83 penalty minutes... if that's gritty then my wife should lace up her figure skates... last two years he has scored 11, 10 points... no Chara, Redden or Corvo. Brian M. is looking for character, maybe he got it, but character don't put the puck in the net... time will tell, but definately better than the "finger".

I hear that Emery is headed over to Russia to play.

thats BS if he signs for a lot of money is russia I will be very upset. The guy is getting rewarded for being a...
    willy

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post

My first reaction was "Jason Who?". I have to admit that I don't follow the NHL as much as I did when there were six teams (oops dating myself) but best signing ever... sarcasim me thinks. Check out his bio...Age 35, younger than me, but old by NHL standards. Last year with a +/- above +1.. 2003-2004. Described in some reports as a character player and "gritty". Last year played 77 games, 83 penalty minutes... if that's gritty then my wife should lace up her figure skates... last two years he has scored 11, 10 points... no Chara, Redden or Corvo. Brian M. is looking for character, maybe he got it, but character don't put the puck in the net... time will tell, but definately better than the "finger".
    Kiwi - have you ever watched a hockey game in your life???

Trying to use stats to describe the heart and determination of a guy like Jason Smith is impossible - the guy is a warrior, plain and simple.

If you want to use a stat to describe him, have a look at his blocked shots - that is the "courage" stat.

You statement wasn't it was

Thread Information