CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Are the Sens better than last year? Have they made any additions to make them better?

The first 20 games last year they played over their heads. The last 60 games represented the talent level they had and I don't see any new talent that has arrived.

They will be the same or weaker on defence (with 2 rookies and Schubert) and have not at all helped their scoring issues...

Do you really think they are a playoff team?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think they are about the same, though they cleaned up some problems. I think the latter half of the season was an anomoly and they will bounce back. They are a playoff team, though I wouldn't put them in the top 4 slots.

It's so easy to critique from the sidelines. They have about 9M and change to spend and still need to get Mezaros and Vermette under contract. Life in the cap era is difficult to negotiate and the Sens have a number of guys locked up over many years. They have had a great run of being near the top of the league for the past 5-6 years (last year excluded). Like any sport, it is cyclical and other teams get better and as your younger guys get older, they need to get paid more or move on to UFA. The Sens better days are likely behind them for the next couple years but you never know.

On the flip side, is this years team really that much different than the one that went to the cup final 2 years ago? The core is the same.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The Sens were somewhere in the middle last year. They played over their heads in the first 20, but injuries, fatigue and other stuff got them in the last 60, and they played below their talent level. They're still a top 4 team in the eastern conference if everyone is healthy. If they can resist the temptation to play Alfie with Spezza and Heatley, they should have balanced scoring on the top two lines and a decent defense corps. Goaltending is adequate. They're in decent shape, not an elite team at this point, but not a doormat either. How the kids play will be key.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Are the Sens better than last year? Have they made any additions to make them better?

The first 20 games last year they played over their heads. The last 60 games represented the talent level they had and I don't see any new talent that has arrived.

They will be the same or weaker on defence (with 2 rookies and Schubert) and have not at all helped their scoring issues...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

I know that you fancy yourself to be a hockey guy/gal but all you're good at is trying to

If you'd take 30 seconds to check the stats you'd see that Ottawa lead the lead in Goals for...that said, just exactly WHAT scoring issues do they have???

Your comments are based on nothing more than your hatred of the Sens and you just pull stats out of the air to support your asinine comments.......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statis...e=2&league=nhl

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I never said the Sens have trouble scoring goals. They do have scoring issues. They have one scoring line that I said was one of the best in the league. They can't rely on Fisher to score and Vermette is streaky. They have nobody else!!!

Their defence will contribute close to nothing in terms of goals this year unless Lee has a great year, which is possible because he looks like a very good prospect.

Hacker, please tell me... Why were the Sens one of the worst teams in the league the last 60 games of the season? I think they had serious scoring issues and a lack of pure hockey talent. I think when Foligno and Bass are your call-ups, you are lacking skill.

I am glad you found the stat that shows how many goals Ottawa scored. Obviously it served them well in the playoffs.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    [QUOTE=golfisforfun;265773]

Hacker, please tell me... Why were the Sens one of the worst teams in the league the last 60 games of the season? I think they had serious scoring issues and a lack of pure hockey talent. I think when Foligno and Bass are your call-ups, you are lacking skill.

QUOTE]

They had serious dressing room issues with Emery leading the charge there. The problems have been dealt with. I'd expect a different team this year.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

[quote=jeffc;265777]

QUOTE]

They had serious dressing room issues with Emery leading the charge there. The problems have been dealt with. I'd expect a different team this year.
    Thanks Jeff, well said.........the Sens did NOT lack in scoring, they lacked in keeping the puck out of the net and I too believe that it was as much to do with off-ice issues as on ice talent.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=Hacker;265803]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post

Thanks Jeff, well said.........the Sens did NOT lack in scoring, they lacked in keeping the puck out of the net and I too believe that it was as much to do with off-ice issues as on ice talent.
    jeez people, when are we going to learn? All of this "character" bullcrap always comes up, and when it comes down to it, we never score enough in the playoffs. Why? Because if you shut down Spezza-Heatley-Alfredsson, you shut the Sens down. Games in the playoffs aren't called as tight as regular season (don't get me started on that), so you can clutch-and-grab and shut them down.

We've got Smith Phillips Volchenkov Fisher Neil Alfie Bass Winchester Foligno. All guys who will hit people and stick up for their teammates. Great. Where are the scorers? Where are the guys that we can depend on to score if the big line gets shut down? Who is going to be our Johan Fanzen, if Datsyuk and Zetterberg go scoreless?

Unfortunately we missed out on Jason Williams, he would have been a nice addition. Let's hope Murray has something in the works...

[quote=sensfan63;265815]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

jeez people, when are we going to learn? All of this "character" bullcrap always comes up, and when it comes down to it, we never score enough in the playoffs. Why? Because if you shut down Spezza-Heatley-Alfredsson, you shut the Sens down. Games in the playoffs aren't called as tight as regular season (don't get me started on that), so you can clutch-and-grab and shut them down.

We've got Smith Phillips Volchenkov Fisher Neil Alfie Bass Winchester Foligno. All guys who will hit people and stick up for their teammates. Great. Where are the scorers? Where are the guys that we can depend on to score if the big line gets shut down? Who is going to be our Johan Fanzen, if Datsyuk and Zetterberg go scoreless?

Unfortunately we missed out on Jason Williams, he would have been a nice addition. Let's hope Murray has something in the works...
    The latest rumour that I've heard has Vermette and Neil going to Edmonton for a cast of young players........apparently Vermette has requested a trade because Murray won't give him a long term contract........me thinks that Bruce G. is making up stories again

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Anyone watch OTR tonight?

I was hoping that Emery would have turned over a new leaf attitude wise, but not really. He said some things that showed that he's been told that he has to take responsibility for his actions (or lack thereof re: showing up on time), but his tone of voice wasn't that of someone who believed what he was saying.

I kind of feel sorry for the guy - I think a lot of talent is going to go untapped in that gent.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I never said the Sens have trouble scoring goals. They do have scoring issues. They have one scoring line that I said was one of the best in the league. They can't rely on Fisher to score and Vermette is streaky. They have nobody else!!!

Their defence will contribute close to nothing in terms of goals this year unless Lee has a great year, which is possible because he looks like a very good prospect.

I am glad you found the stat that shows how many goals Ottawa scored. Obviously it served them well in the playoffs.
    The Sens don't need their D to contribute goals. They need their D to play D. With Redden gone, Lee and Smith playing, and Meszaros playing reduced minutes, they are poised to do just that. One more d-man would be a good addition.

And, since when does the season start in July. The lineup you see now is not the lineup that will start the season. I'm sure Murray will be on the prowl for forwards. On that note, does anyone know what happened to Anson Carter? He'd be a great pickup as a second line scorer.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Hacker;265842]
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post

The latest rumour that I've heard has Vermette and Neil going to Edmonton for a cast of young players........apparently Vermette has requested a trade because Murray won't give him a long term contract........me thinks that Bruce G. is making up stories again
    Well, i'm pretty unimpressed with the way the Sens deal with Vermette. Every year come deadline time Vermette is treated as the untradable player. There's no way Ottawa would dare give up Vermette in a deadline deal as he's just to valuable to the future of the team. For three years the Sens decline trades with Vermette involved because he's too big of an asset. Then, when it comes time to pay him, there's no money forthcoming. They've talked themselves into a hole with their "Vermette is too good...he's in our future...we can't deal him." He knows what he's worth to the team, so they finally have to prove they want him and pay him. Otherwise, pull the trigger on a deal.

[quote=jonf;265856]

Well, i'm pretty unimpressed with the way the Sens deal with Vermette. Every year come deadline time Vermette is treated as the untradable player. There's no way Ottawa would dare give up Vermette in a deadline deal as he's just to valuable to the future of the team. For three years the Sens decline trades with Vermette involved because he's too big of an asset. Then, when it comes time to pay him, there's no money forthcoming. They've talked themselves into a hole with their "Vermette is too good...he's in our future...we can't deal him." He knows what he's worth to the team, so they finally have to prove they want him and pay him. Otherwise, pull the trigger on a deal.
    I agree 110% Jon

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Anyone watch OTR tonight?

I was hoping that Emery would have turned over a new leaf attitude wise, but not really. He said some things that showed that he's been told that he has to take responsibility for his actions (or lack thereof re: showing up on time), but his tone of voice wasn't that of someone who believed what he was saying.

I kind of feel sorry for the guy - I think a lot of talent is going to go untapped in that gent.
    I've got no sympathy for this clown, whatsoever. He has the talent to do something at the highest levels of his profession, a place where maybe a thousand out of the millions who play even get that chance. He had his chance to really make a name for himself last season after backstopping his team to the finals, but he ** it all away. Take a look at how many offers he got since he was released. I believe the count was 3, and mediocre ones at best.

He had the golden goose by the throat, and he strangled it to death.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    The Sens don't need their D to contribute goals. They need their D to play D. With Redden gone, Lee and Smith playing, and Meszaros playing reduced minutes, they are poised to do just that. One more d-man would be a good addition.

And, since when does the season start in July. The lineup you see now is not the lineup that will start the season. I'm sure Murray will be on the prowl for forwards. On that note, does anyone know what happened to Anson Carter? He'd be a great pickup as a second line scorer.
    I don't think Anson Carter is even close to a second line scorer anymore... He didn't exactly light it up in Lugano in the Swiss league last year. Nor in Carolina the year before that. Nor in C-bus before that. Link.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I've got no sympathy for this clown, whatsoever. He has the talent to do something at the highest levels of his profession, a place where maybe a thousand out of the millions who play even get that chance. He had his chance to really make a name for himself last season after backstopping his team to the finals, but he ** it all away. Take a look at how many offers he got since he was released. I believe the count was 3, and mediocre ones at best.

He had the golden goose by the throat, and he strangled it to death.
    The more I think about what I saw, and all the talk about how he's making changes in his life, that he still came across like a spoiled punk on OTR tonight.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Emery

Maybe once the press stop feeding off him the light will come on....
    mmmmmmmm maybe NOT!

[quote=jonf;265856]

Can't disagree with that Jon, good point.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    [quote=jonf;265856]

I don't think Vermette is going anywhere - this is just the way the "arbitration" game is played and both sides know it. Reporters sure love to stir the pot though...

... and with Redden gone, Murray has already hinted that Meszaros will get MORE ice time and not less - playing alongside Jason Smith.

Thread Information