100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cart Path Rule

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    At the Citizen tournament we had added in the notice to competitors that the bricks are part of the cart path which would allow you free relief for an immovable obstruction. This is the only fair thing as it is a man made obstruction as the cart path is.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    I agree , as an official you shouldnt be snickering at the players misfortune
    Of course , down the local pub afterwards when replaying the senerio to my mates Id be peeing myself lol

In the quote above , how do left handers get on when their ball is on the righthand side of the path on the 10th/15th at Loch March ?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    At the Citizen tournament we had added in the notice to competitors that the bricks are part of the cart path which would allow you free relief for an immovable obstruction. This is the only fair thing as it is a man made obstruction as the cart path is.
    NICE! next time i'll take my relief and avoid getting a 7 on that hole!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    it's starting to make sense. does this relief rule apply to a ball sitting on grass but which is very close to a man-made artificial thing in your way? i had the misfortune on 11th hole at LM to have my ball sit next to the bricks along the cart path. i couldnt make a normal chip shot, so i hacked at it with a sandwedge. could i have moved it without a penalty?
    Bricks lining a cart path are by definition an immovable obstruction. They are artificial and almost certainly cannot be moved.

May I suggest that before you play in any tournaments (or even before you play another game) that you read the Definitions. It will make life much easier.

http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Bricks lining a cart path are by definition an immovable obstruction. They are artificial and almost certainly cannot be moved.

May I suggest that before you play in any tournaments (or even before you play another game) that you read the Definitions. It will make life much easier.

http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253
    you're right, i should flip through that RCGA rules of golf book from time to time.

25-1-b(i): what does through the green mean? and does this rule of "abnormal ground conditions" mean that if my ball is in a bunker but submerged in water due to the bunker not properly draining, i could pick the ball up and drop it without penalty? that would be nice.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    25-1-b(i): what does through the green mean? and does this rule of "abnormal ground conditions" mean that if my ball is in a bunker but submerged in water due to the bunker not properly draining, i could pick the ball up and drop it without penalty? that would be nice.
    Through the green is any area on the course that is not, the teeing ground of the hole being played, the green of the hole being played, and all hazards. It's in the Definitions section.

To answer your second question, read a bit further down in Rule 25...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Follow AAA's advice - read the Definitions.

It is really the most important section of the Rules of Golf - and unfortunately the section that most people skip reading.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Through the green is any area on the course that is not, the teeing ground of the hole being played, the green of the hole being played, and all hazards. It's in the Definitions section.

To answer your second question, read a bit further down in Rule 25...
    i saw the part about the bunker, but i dont know if water in the bunker classifies as a abnormal ground condition. i think it should be. and i guess i would be able to drop the ball inside the bunker without penalty for a better shot.
    lastly, i think they wrote that an irrigation ditch is an obstruction? damn, i should have been reading this stuff a long time ago. i would have saved myself some strokes!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    i saw the part about the bunker, but i dont know if water in the bunker classifies as a abnormal ground condition. i think it should be. and i guess i would be able to drop the ball inside the bunker without penalty for a better shot.
    See the definition of Abnormal Ground Condition, and the definition of Casual Water, and you'll find your answer.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

See the definition of Abnormal Ground Condition, and the definition of Casual Water, and you'll find your answer.
    i like your answers because each time i get to read more of this great book!

the answer to my question is 'yes'.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Psssssst , nobody tell him about the Decisions book lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    Psssssst , nobody tell him about the Decisions book lol
    the waaaaaaaaat ?

the waaaaaaaaat ?
    Don't worry, it's an easy read. Only 665 pages.

Don't worry, it's an easy read. Only 665 pages.
    you'd be proud of me lobwedge, i have been reading my rule book of golf on the bus to and from work; soaking in all kinds of goodies about penalty strokes and hazards.

you'd be proud of me lobwedge, i have been reading my rule book of golf on the bus to and from work; soaking in all kinds of goodies about penalty strokes and hazards.
    Well done!

Thread Information