CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Cell Phone Companies are the Devil

So I get home today to find a letter from Bell saying that they have arbitrarily raised their rates for text messaging and are now charging for incoming text messages. Now, I do not use a lot of text messages, and this will probably not affect my monthly bill. Nevertheless, I call bull. These are the same guys who charge you 400 bucks to leave a contract, regardless of the circumstances. Now they want to change that contract at their own discretion? No way. I know there is a clause stating they may change it at any time, but at that point, the service is no longer the service for which I signed up, and I should be able to leave free of charge. I've had enough of getting terrible service at exorbitant rates. I'm going to give them a call and give them a piece of my mind. ARGH!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    send them a text message instead! bwahahahahahaha
    Andrew

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    There is a TON of unused bandwidth out there. I gotta wonder what the justification for this is.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    There is a TON of unused bandwidth out there. I gotta wonder what the justification for this is.
    Fuel prices?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    They are losing market share and need to makeup for the loss somehow.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Health Canada just switched ALL of our Cell and Blackbusiness to Telus. I had just got a new HTC touch with Bell and they paid the $400 fee to break the Bell contract - and over the 3 year contract we will still save money

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Health Canada just switched ALL of our Cell and Blackbusiness to Telus. I had just got a new HTC touch with Bell and they paid the $400 fee to break the Bell contract - and over the 3 year contract we will still save money
    That's funny because late last year my company went the other way. Bell came to us with a good offer and Telus didn't make any effort to keep out business.

As a slight aside, Rogers introduced their iPhone rate plans today, and in true Rogers fashion they are completely screwing customers over compared to AT&T's plans in the states. $60 gets you 150 mins, and 400mb and you have to pay extra for CALL DISPLAY. What's amazing is that they'll probably sell out on day 1 and people will be raving about their new 3G iPhone.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Get a real cell phone and a iTouch iPod and you'll be better off

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I'm with CRA and we all switched from Bell to Rogers - too funny!!!!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I switch from Bell to Virgin mobile as soon as I was able to transfer my phone number and I cut my montly bill by HALF! (same minutes) free incoming text messages.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    when i got my iPhone a couple of weeks ago i needed to change my number from 613 to 514 because of the move. and i got a great plan, my STD voice plan of $35 for 350 mins +E/W. and $30 for unlimited data, voicemail, caller id. i think i did pretty good. but i need to upgrade the voice plan now, i talk to much

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Ok now I know most of you are probably going to laugh at this but I have an analog phone from the year 2000, you youngin's would call it a big ugly flip phone. But there is almost no where that I can't get reception and it has worked from Calgary to Ottawa with no problem and I pay $45 a month. Now they are telling me that as of Sept I won't be able to even use my phone and I have to switch to a digital phone.............to me all this means is a higher per month bill, and I have no clue which company or phone to get as it seems every plan my daughter's get turns into a rip off, the bills are never what they should be!!!!
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

Baxter
    It's call ...We're going to charge what we want and "What are you going to do about it?" Answer - Nothing....

No different than Big Oil, No different that Government....They got us and it's to bad for us, but it is what it is.

You are going to Express yourself, than get upset and maybe yell, than some little pencil neck will hang up on you and What are you going to do about it? You will have to pay....I can't tell you the last time I was ever on a contract...I never take the "FREE" or discount to get a phone. When I want a new phone, I buy it. I find that this as helped me when I do have an issue and threaten to leave to another company. I also ways get discounts. I have been with Bell for over 16 years. Had one contract my 1st one. My bills are about $400 a month 3 phones and lots of long distance.

I am not trying to make lite of your issue. I agree with you 100%. But besides upsetting your self, the end result is either get rid of the cell phone or pay. You can't switch because they are all the same.
    They are going after the text messages because teenagers are texting more than they are talking on their phones. I know my daughter is. It costs me $10 or $15 a month for unlimited Text. Do you know if that is go to change as well?

Good Luck with your call

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    In a related subject, I was surprise last night watching a roger's tv ad that they display the price package (small letters) that some folks are paying ranging from 150-180 a month! (your personal tv or something) I could not bealive that some people are ok with that.

I can't wait when other service providers get in the market. So far, I have a IP phone from Mex which cost me around 15.00 to a have a number there... same option here is 40.00 + 15.00 for a number over there... not right!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    when i got my iPhone a couple of weeks ago i needed to change my number from 613 to 514 because of the move. and i got a great plan, my STD voice plan of $35 for 350 mins +E/W. and $30 for unlimited data, voicemail, caller id. i think i did pretty good. but i need to upgrade the voice plan now, i talk to much
    J-dog - Who is your provider??

1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    They are losing market share and need to makeup for the loss somehow.
    Agreed.

CBC's Marketplace conducted a highspeed internet test to see if consumers were getting the advertised speeds from Bell, Rogers, Shaw and Telus.

Rogers placed 1st, Telus 2nd, Shaw 3rd and Bell was dead last with hours to go to download a test file. They were only getting 18% of the Bell advertised speed and when the fella asked if that was the result of his location and perhaps he should downgrade his service, Bell said he should not downgrade.

Needless to say, the followup interview with the VP of Bell Communications did not go well.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I pay $0 per month and $0 for my cell phone that I don't have. I also pay $0 per month for internet access at home, because I have none. It is VERY liberating. I suggest you all try it!
    Andrew

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    That's funny because late last year my company went the other way. Bell came to us with a good offer and Telus didn't make any effort to keep out business.

As a slight aside, Rogers introduced their iPhone rate plans today, and in true Rogers fashion they are completely screwing customers over compared to AT&T's plans in the states. $60 gets you 150 mins, and 400mb and you have to pay extra for CALL DISPLAY. What's amazing is that they'll probably sell out on day 1 and people will be raving about their new 3G iPhone.

So you say Rogers is screwing people over.... come on.. how many people occupy the states, compared to the amount of people who occupy Canada. I think it might be a little different. You can't compare what one country charges compared to another. In that case you might want to check out Europe, they have some nice rates as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    So you say Rogers is screwing people over.... come on.. how many people occupy the states, compared to the amount of people who occupy Canada. I think it might be a little different. You can't compare what one country charges compared to another. In that case you might want to check out Europe, they have some nice rates as well.
    That's the point though. They charge next to nothing in Europe compared to here. The quality of service here does not warrant the exorbitant rates we pay. We pay much more, for a lot less.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    So because Rogers et al here in Canada have a smaller market they should charge more for their service so they should make a bigger profit? That, is flawed logic. Based on this we should be paying more for cars, more for gas, more for... doh.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    and how big are those markets? 10-20x the size of ours. Less competition in Canada and a much smaller market means higher cost.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kerisb View Post
    Ok now I know most of you are probably going to laugh at this but I have an analog phone from the year 2000, you youngin's would call it a big ugly flip phone. But there is almost no where that I can't get reception and it has worked from Calgary to Ottawa with no problem and I pay $45 a month. Now they are telling me that as of Sept I won't be able to even use my phone and I have to switch to a digital phone.............to me all this means is a higher per month bill, and I have no clue which company or phone to get as it seems every plan my daughter's get turns into a rip off, the bills are never what they should be!!!!
    Don't laugh folks---we have a "phone in a bag" circa 1989 and it works great. Got the same letter about analogue. Bell wanted to charge us 79.95 for a new digital---fought with them for 2 weeks (corporate office) finally they relented--got a new Samsung free as well as kept 345 minutes of banked airtime and stayed on our 10.00 per month plan The phone is for emerencies only----unless we are late for our t-time
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

10 bucks a month? The system access fee is 9.95 alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    A fine example of a BS charge designed to take more $$ out of our pockets

and its also not regulated and they don't mention it in advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    and its also not regulated and they don't mention it in advertising.
    And you can bet that the fee will increase due to the soring prices of gas

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    My wife and I share a cell phone, Telus. I rarely use it, I always forget to take it with me if I go anywhere.

I can not have a Cell phone turned on at work, so no point in carrying it.

I am lucky I do not have to depend on that little phone to help me control my life

People have become far to Dependant on their cell phones. You hardly have anytime to get away from the world of business etc when you carry one of those things. JMO
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Agent 99 and I have one for our convenience only. Hardly anyone has the number and we rarely use it. Basically it goes with the car so we can reach each other if need be, or we can call for help.

I had a $35 plan from Rogers, but since our usage was so low I told them I wanted to cancel the plan and pay as I go. They offered me a $10 per month plus $6.95 system access fee, minus a $5 credit for having cable with them. It includes 20 minutes a month additional minutes are .50 per minute. Last month we used 26 minutes, and I payed $17.46 including taxes.

If your usage is low like ours, just tell them you want to pay as you go and they will offer you this deal. It's not available any other way.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Jonf--your not fighting hard enough We are pay as you go--automatic 10.00 month with your visa card--3.95 access fee---that's the reason I fought so hard---hell we will never use 345.00 in air time---we won't live long enough

This is not intended as a slight or anything like this to the younger group---but why is it neccessary for everyone to have a cell phone or blackberry with them 24/7. If there was a million $ deal pending OK but lets get real here I can't believe that there is that much earth shattering news etc that can't wait until you get home or show up at work. As far as I'm concerned the only people to benefit from cell phones are the providers and business owners oh yeah---the paramedics

I know---I'm an ol' fart----the horse got home too---just a little slower
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Safety and Security for one. I know, I know, these things didn't exist long ago and people got by. I travel a ton and its imperitive for me to keep in touch with work, other staff and home.

Luckily my company pays for mine.

Thread Information