CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar

Swing aids for the full swing

I've been working for a while with the aid of my video camera and swing analysis software on fixing my full swing. I've got a few problems to work out:
    - I have a nasty habit of a bad armsy takeaway that results in a dual-hinge backswing to get my hands where they need to be to not go over the top when I swing
    - When I practice the one piece takeaway, I seem to be riding the high side of the envelope on my backswing, making drifting above the plane all too easy to do
    - When I fatigue on the course, I stop coiling properly and make up the difference with my arms, resulting in an over-the-top mess

I'm taking lessons in conjunction with my home-work, but I'm finding that it's the high-repetition muscle memory that I have to groove to really kill this problem. I need the right swing to feel less foreign....

All that said, are there any full swing trainers that are worth their salt in terms of grooving the right takeaway, coil, top of swing and release?

Snowman

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    I bought the "Swing Glove". You can get one at golftown. It's kind of like a wrist brace built into the glove that prevents the leading wrist from breaking.
    It worked wonders for my game. Since forward and backward motions are taken out of play, only allowing the for the wrist cock, it really encourages good mechanics.

Inside Approach

OK, so nobody is much interested in swing aids. Myself, I've struggled since forever with the whole outside in thing.... so I built myself an imitation "Inside Approach" for 10 bucks out of electrical tubing. It certainly works, for the specific problem of the outside-in swing.

Like many, I can hit the ball straight some times with the outside-in swing, at a very specific tempo (slow, where my hands can catch up...) The inside-out swing is sooooo much more tolerant to a higher tempo swing...

I'm going to try out another couple of swing aids to see what effect they have on my swing, I'll keep updating this thread as I go....

For all you "I don't slice, I just pull a lot" hitters, I strongly recommend the inside-approach. If anyone's interested, ping me and I'll give you the EZ instructions to make your own for < $15.

Snowman
    Attached Images

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman View Post
    OK, so nobody is much interested in swing aids. Myself, I've struggled since forever with the whole outside in thing.... so I built myself an imitation "Inside Approach" for 10 bucks out of electrical tubing. It certainly works, for the specific problem of the outside-in swing.

Like many, I can hit the ball straight some times with the outside-in swing, at a very specific tempo (slow, where my hands can catch up...) The inside-out swing is sooooo much more tolerant to a higher tempo swing...

I'm going to try out another couple of swing aids to see what effect they have on my swing, I'll keep updating this thread as I go....

For all you "I don't slice, I just pull a lot" hitters, I strongly recommend the inside-approach. If anyone's interested, ping me and I'll give you the EZ instructions to make your own for < $15.

Snowman

Nicely done. I think someone else on the forum built their own version as well. The thread is from quite a while back, but interesting to see the difference in craftsmanship. Does the foam pad "break-away" like the real Inside Approach?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    It only took him 14 holes on Tuesday to actually put the swing into use

But once he did the results were impressive.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Nicely done. I think someone else on the forum built their own version as well. The thread is from quite a while back, but interesting to see the difference in craftsmanship. Does the foam pad "break-away" like the real Inside Approach?
    I'm not sure what you mean by break-away, Geoff, so I'm guessing not... So far, I've had no problem at all using the thing, I haven't hit the foam once... it's easy to miss the foam bar when it's there, my problem (as byerxa so kindly pointed out ) was that it took me a while to figure out why I was still swinging out to in, and what the trigger was that was causing me to do it, and how to visualize the pool noodle contraption so that I swing in to out regardless of what trouble I may see ahead on the fairway...

So how does the inside approach gizmo break away?

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

inside approach

Nice lookin knockoff of this device at XsCargo on Merivale. U can see it on line at their site http://www2.shopxscargo.com/product_...ductDetailMorehttp://www2.shopxscargo.com/product_...ductDetailMore

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Not bad

Its not bad but you need to isolate the ball when you swing and if you do this then you will not sway which is why I like the Orange Loop
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Orange Loop

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by break-away, Geoff, so I'm guessing not... So far, I've had no problem at all using the thing, I haven't hit the foam once... it's easy to miss the foam bar when it's there, my problem (as byerxa so kindly pointed out ) was that it took me a while to figure out why I was still swinging out to in, and what the trigger was that was causing me to do it, and how to visualize the pool noodle contraption so that I swing in to out regardless of what trouble I may see ahead on the fairway...

So how does the inside approach gizmo break away?
    I have the orange loop Geoff and the foam piece does break off when you hit and it does not take much. It is no longer available on the market I think. Mine just fits snuggly in a half tube so you can easily pull it off. It is a very simply device that really works. When I am in a swing funk I use a medicus hinged 5 iron and the OL together and hit balls into my net at home and that usually does the trick. Together I get to work on tempo and a nice inside swing path.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information