Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Just to clarify, the three sets were one for the grandfather, one for the father (tacks) and one for the son (buykrux).
    So in other words his comment earlier in the thread about members here not being able to afford to replace $8,000 of clubs was completely irrelevant....
    Just your normal everyday $3,000 retail/$1,000 replacement value set... truly not even worth bothering contacting the insurance company about sadly. I'm not trying to diminish the loss, but it may have been overstated earlier.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    So in other words his comment earlier in the thread about members here not being able to afford to replace $8,000 of clubs was completely irrelevant....
    Just your normal everyday $3,000 retail/$1,000 replacement value set... truly not even worth bothering contacting the insurance company about sadly. I'm not trying to diminish the loss, but it may have been overstated earlier.

That's what I got from reading the replies. I believe all three are members at the same club where the storage room burnt down.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I'm not really disagreeing with either Reid or Sakuraba - I'm just saying that its not right. I'm guessing that most people have already paid more than $8,000 in insurance premiums over the years before this fire happened. So you pay before, and then you pay again after - double-dipping at its finest!

Hey, someone had to pay the full retail price for my clubs before I got them!
    You are very correct Terry... it is not right...
    Insurance is a joke and has become useful only for protecting from a major, major loss...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Good lord. Another one of those stereotypes about high cappers!

Quote Originally Posted by tacks451 View Post
    wow and some of you people call yourselves golfers?Oh must be the usual high handicappers with walmart clubs!!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Good lord. Another one of those stereotypes about high cappers!
    No kidding!!

I'll put the clubs used by this 19.4 capper up against most out there

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Let's try not to let this degrade into a flame war, shall we?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Let's try not to let this degrade into a flame war, shall we?
    But this all started because of flam............never mind

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Sorry for the late reply but I was driving back from Virginia...

Couple of things I want to point out.
    A) I think I have a pretty good idea of what the clubs in my bag are worth
    B) While if I priced them all out brand new with tax at Golftown they might be worth a few grand, I could replace them in a day off Ebay and various websites for a fraction of that.
    C) Given the above, I would be a complete idiot to make a claim such as that with my insurance company and thereby possibly pay thousands of dollars in increased premiums over the next 10 years, plus potentially jeopardize my ability to obtain insurance in the future should I ever have even one other minor claim.
    D) Mint condition means never been played. 20 year old copper Eye 2s which are in the club storage are obviously being used regularly and are no longer mint. Otherwise why would they be in club storage and not a display rack in your basement? Average selling price for Eye 2 coppers in used but very good condition on Ebay is well under 300 bucks. See the below link:
    http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/brand/2736/product_type/205/model/45820/shaft_type/2/b/Ping/p/Iron%20set/m/Eye%202%20Beryllium%20Copper
    E) You had 3 sets of irons etc. in club storage?!! Were you playing all 3 regularly? If not, why were they all there and what club allows you that much space in their storage? Or were these 3 separate sets belonging to 3 people and therefore 3 separate insurance claims of under $3000 each? $3000 of clubs I can find used and in excellent condition for well under a grand.
    I'm sorry, but an $8,000 claim from clubs in storage will have an insurance company claims investigator visiting you personally to investigate such a claim.
    Call me a dink if you like but those are my honest opinions. I'm really sorry you lost your clubs but if you make an insurance claim for that amount you are eventually going to pay every penny of that $8,000 and more out to your insurance company.
    If you want send me a list of what you have lost and I would be more than happy to help you find replacements at a reasonable cost.

apex apex apex, what am i going to do with you
    once again, you really have absolutely no idea what you are talking about
    yes you may be able to replace them off ebay. but id rather take a brand new set for the price of a deductible than paying out of my own pocket
    mint condition does NOT mean never been played sorry to tell you. we arent all hacks that dent and bend all our irons. I had a cobra driver for 2 years and when i traded it in the guys at techumseh golf thought it was brand new. id say that is mint condition
    and read the original posts
    there is 3 people. me my father and my grandfather. find me a set of ping eye 2+s that were bought from the ping factory 2 summers ago, a cobra pro speed driver, brand new red x used 2 rounds, 2 sonartec woods bought brand new in february, 25th anniversary callaway bag, rainsuit, bagboy, bushnell range finders, pro v's etc for under 3000$
    you may pull a horseshoe out of your ass and find pieces here and there cheap
    but lets look at it logically
    pay a deductible and have insurance go up a bit for a few years or spend my own money on all new equipment.
    next thing
    3 seperate claims? why make 3 seperate claims when me and my father live in the same house with the same homeowners insurance?
    do you work for an insurance company? or are you assuming an investigator will be called?
    what is the investigator going to do? quiz me on my clubs? look for receipts?
    believe it or not, its actually worth going threw the insurance company to get all these clubs replaced
    another thing, the insurance company gives you replacement value not worth value
    get your fact straight before you try and debate a topic such as this in which you have never dealt with
    now stop posting in this thread, if you want to go on and debate whether or not to go through the insurance company then talk to someone else
    we pay insurance for a reason

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by buykrux View Post
    apex apex apex, what am i going to do with you
    once again, you really have absolutely no idea what you are talking about
    yes you may be able to replace them off ebay. but id rather take a brand new set for the price of a deductible than paying out of my own pocket
    mint condition does NOT mean never been played sorry to tell you. we arent all hacks that dent and bend all our irons. I had a cobra driver for 2 years and when i traded it in the guys at techumseh golf thought it was brand new. id say that is mint condition
    and read the original posts
    there is 3 people. me my father and my grandfather. find me a set of ping eye 2+s that were bought from the ping factory 2 summers ago, a cobra pro speed driver, brand new red x used 2 rounds, 2 sonartec woods bought brand new in february, 25th anniversary callaway bag, rainsuit, bagboy, bushnell range finders, pro v's etc for under 3000$
    you may pull a horseshoe out of your ass and find pieces here and there cheap
    but lets look at it logically
    pay a deductible and have insurance go up a bit for a few years or spend my own money on all new equipment.
    next thing
    3 seperate claims? why make 3 seperate claims when me and my father live in the same house with the same homeowners insurance?
    do you work for an insurance company? or are you assuming an investigator will be called?
    what is the investigator going to do? quiz me on my clubs? look for receipts?
    believe it or not, its actually worth going threw the insurance company to get all these clubs replaced
    another thing, the insurance company gives you replacement value not worth value
    get your fact straight before you try and debate a topic such as this in which you have never dealt with
    now stop posting in this thread, if you want to go on and debate whether or not to go through the insurance company then talk to someone else
    we pay insurance for a reason

No need to get all testy. And if you read the thread some insurance folk have chimed in with some expert advice and answers which have cleared a few things up for some people. Yes, I'm sure you are upset about your loss, but let's discuss it in a civil manner. Apex was only trying to help you guys out. Believe it or not, he'd probably do pretty good at replacing all your clubs and gear for a very reasonable cost. He's got lots of eyes and ears out there to find clubs and golf gear. And to boot, he's a great guy.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by buykrux View Post
    if its YOUR house that catches on fire because of a dummy move YOU did then sure, insurance should go up
    if YOU get hit because someone ran a red, your rates should still come up because they do teach you to be prepared to break when coming up to a green light just in case

Let me tell you something about being hit by another vehicle. I was hit about a month ago in a PRIVATE PARKING LOT. $2000 damage, $350 for a rental car and none of that came out of my pocket, or my insurance company's account either. The other driver's insurance company had to pony up.
    now lets say you had some over $25000 in old bills or jewelery in a safe box at the bank
    for some odd reason, the bank catches fire, the fire spread to the safe boxes and burns/melts everything in the box that was yours
    theres no way to tell what was in that box now and you file a claim for the value or to replace what was in the box
    now you are trying to tell me that because you will have to now file a claim because the bank burnt down with your expensive valuables that your rates should go up? even if you have never filed a claim?

Now why would anyone have $25,000 of old bills etc etc in a Bank Safety Deposit Box without having it well documented, photographed etc? If you do that you are crazy and deserve to lose out on a claim.

40 years with the insurance company, filed a claim that covered a new bumper and a bit of paint manyyyyyy years ago on an old truck when he was rear ended and now the cost and deductible is going to be threw the roof?
    now you cannot tell me thats not right

40 years with the same Insurance Company and they made him put this accident on his insurance for the claim? Apparently he must have been found at fault, otherwise he would not have put it through his insurance. If he did, his adjuster scammed him and I'd be looking for another insurance company.

as for the BeCu pings, its not the fact that there gone or the replacement value of them, its trying find him black dot becu's with the same aldila shafts he had in a similar condition

even my dad has to switch irons now because they do not make ZZ lites anymore with the eye2's

also i dont know about your clubs and their conditions, but all of these clubs were in a mint state
    not a single sky mark on any wood or driver, no scratched faces or dented heads
    so ya we may be able to get the same clubs, but they wont be the "same"
    have you ever taken a look at loft angles on irons sets?
    play with the same irons for 20 years like my dad and 10 like my grandpa then switch to a new set with different lofts and see how it messes up your game

As Apex states "Mint clubs are brand new, not 20 years old" Plus a good golfer can re-adjust to the new lofts on irons in two rounds. If he can't then he is not a good golfer. Why do I know this? Because I changed irons a few years ago from the jacked lofts of TM irons to the traditional lofts of Wishon forged. Took me exactly two rounds to figure out my yardages.

back to insurance companies
    you can say that insurance companies arent rip offs until you get shafted by a similar incident
    how about your neighbors house catches fire and the fire spreads to yours, burning it to the ground
    now you have nothing left, insurance company says "oh sorry about your loss but thats going to be $________ and your rates now increased 18% over 5 years"
    you wouldnt be **?
    Tell you what to do if you hate insurance companies. Cancel your home owners insurance and then pray your house does not burn down, or you never have a break in. If your neighbours house catches on fire and yours does too then I would say your fire department isn't very efficient when it comes to dealing with house fires.

Hey I would not be pleased if this happened to me. However there are a hell of lot worse things that can happen in your life. Losing 3 sets of clubs is not one of them. Take a long look around at people who have lost loved ones in fires, pets, houses, years of memories up in smoke. Or people who have been killed, or crippled in car accidents. I know all about that, I lost my sister when she was hit by a cement truck and the driver thought he could go straight through on the side road he was on. Wrong, and no charges were laid.

So my thoughts are suck it up. Either put the claim through of eat the loss out of your pockets.

BTW calling members of this forum HACKS and stating they play with "Walmart Clubs" is actually a pretty low statement. You might be shocked if you found out what kind of clubs many members of this forum use. I have great equipment, and I have a fraction of what you are claiming you have invested into yours. Why? Simple, I buy good used clubs that are in great shape. I currently have 4 new clubs in my bag, a Daytona putter, a TM TP Hybrid, two Srixon wedges. The rest are used and last time I played with them last week I did not notice any DINGS, SKY MARKS etc.

I could have helped you out when it comes to replacing your clubs. But your attitude is rather bitter to wards some members of this forum. Too bad, you have ticked off a few people that could have helped you out. As Geoff said, stop being testy and discuss this in a civilized manner. As I said it is not the end of the world because you lost your clubs.

Hey what about the club? They lost 70 power carts, the building and everything else that did not belong to members that was stored in that building. But I guess that is no concern of yours. Well maybe it will be next season if your rates go up.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Well said, Geoff.
    I would personally have absorbed the loss by replacing my stuff with used & maybe even some new stuff, but I guess I am thinking about protecting my homeowner's policy rate. If I could still make a claim under my father's policy, I guess I'd go for the shiny new too!
    Andrew

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Tell you what to do if you hate insurance companies. Cancel your home owners insurance and then pray your house does not burn down, or you never have a break in. If your neighbours house catches on fire and yours does too then I would say your fire department isn't very efficient when it comes to dealing with house fires.

Hey I would not be pleased if this happened to me. However there are a hell of lot worse things that can happen in your life. Losing 3 sets of clubs is not one of them. Take a long look around at people who have lost loved ones in fires, pets, houses, years of memories up in smoke. Or people who have been killed, or crippled in car accidents. I know all about that, I lost my sister when she was hit by a cement truck and the driver thought he could go straight through on the side road he was on. Wrong, and no charges were laid.

So my thoughts are suck it up. Either put the claim through of eat the loss out of your pockets.

BTW calling members of this forum HACKS and stating they play with "Walmart Clubs" is actually a pretty low statement. You might be shocked if you found out what kind of clubs many members of this forum use. I have great equipment, and I have a fraction of what you are claiming you have invested into yours. Why? Simple, I buy good used clubs that are in great shape. I currently have 4 new clubs in my bag, a Daytona putter, a TM TP Hybrid, two Srixon wedges. The rest are used and last time I played with them last week I did not notice any DINGS, SKY MARKS etc.

I could have helped you out when it comes to replacing your clubs. But your attitude is rather bitter to wards some members of this forum. Too bad, you have ticked off a few people that could have helped you out. As Geoff said, stop being testy and discuss this in a civilized manner. As I said it is not the end of the world because you lost your clubs.

Hey what about the club? They lost 70 power carts, the building and everything else that did not belong to members that was stored in that building. But I guess that is no concern of yours. Well maybe it will be next season if your rates go up.

first of all i was not the one who said anything about hacks and walmart clubs, get your storys straight
    replacing clubs is not an issue, insurance is covering it 100% with brand new sticks of our choice so price is really not a problem
    second of all, our insurance company isnt as bad as some of them
    some like my grandfathers, are charging a $1000 deductable with increased rates
    other members were told at 9am on thursday to buy new everything and send them the bills, mind you the fire was at 10pm the wednesday
    others havent heard a thing
    and onto the club
    once again, you did not do your research
    the club is owned by all the members via shares
    as for the increased rates, could care less, employees get free golf, free balls, free food and clubs at cost
    so thank you for the offers on finding new clubs for us but i have that covered already
    enough of the arguing
    the moral of the story is that some insurance companies seem great until its their turn to pay up, dont leave your clubs in club storage and that many clubs are lost, in fact my friend from the backshop found my dads 3 iron, shaft bent into a C and the head blackened, but the paint fill still in tact

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    And another thread spirals into the abyss.

I think someone needs to realize that we are not the ones who burned down the shed.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information