100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road

How to deal with a fellow member

While playing a round yesterday one of the guys in our group wanted to keep giving instructions throughout the round and it was quite annoying. He also asked me to fix some marks on the green that weren't ball marks. I noticed that he had 15 clubs in his bag and he just told me where I could shove the extra club. The extra club was an old man's side saddle putter that he used for nine holes and then switched to his other putter for the other nine. He said he didn't use it for the front nine so he shouldn't be penalized. A few times throughout the round, as things were slow, he also hit a couple of extra shots. I think I saw him putt out twice during the round and that was only because he made a bomb. At the end of the round I actually saw bc entering this score in the computer. He was nice enough to give me a couple of putts so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. My question is, what should I do when playing with this guy the next time????

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    don't play with him next time
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Gerry why do you care if he's got 15 clubs and isn't technically playing by the rules? If it's not competition then let him do his own thing and cheat. Unless you are competing with him in some way I would let him be and not let it bother me.

John, that makes sense but no matter how hard I tried last year it really annoyed me when people wouldn't play by the same rules I was playing by. When you total up the scores and you are in 3rd by 2 strokes you know you played by the rules and their scores are atleast 5 strokes lower because they play by their own rules, its annoying. I play my best golf when Im playing with people I don't have to worry about, keep and eye on and I can just focus on golf. THIS year because of my cap I don't care what anyone else does. My goal is to end the season under 20 and get it down to 16 next year.
    willy

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Gerry why do you care if he's got 15 clubs and isn't technically playing by the rules? If it's not competition then let him do his own thing and cheat. Unless you are competing with him in some way I would let him be and not let it bother me.
    Well said

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    At the end of the round I actually saw bc entering this score in the computer.
    The above quote makes me think one of the following is true:

1. Somebody has hijacked Gerry's account.
    2. Gerry has been on a bender for the last couple of days and is posting drunk.
    3. He's bored and is pulling the forum's collective leg.

I'm going with #3.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I know this is a hypothetical situation (because Gerry would have probably walked after 9 holes in real life ), but the fact that this guy was posting his so-called "score" in the system is where the problem lies, regardless of whether it's a tournament score or not. Any valid score must have been played under the rules of golf, no exceptions.

Go ahead and play whatever game you want, that's your right. But when you try and pass of a score as valid, and it's not, it should be reported to the handicap committee and removed from the system. If the member continues to engage in this practice after being warned, then his access to the network should be revoked, for the protection of all other honest golfers.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

why is it a big deal, if he wants a lower cap than he acutally is... you will be taking a lot of money off him on the course. Anyone wants to artificially lower their cap.. I'll play them anyday
    willy

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    why is it a big deal, if he wants a lower cap than he acutally is... you will be taking a lot of money off him on the course. Anyone wants to artificially lower their cap.. I'll play them anyday
    Sandbagging is sandbagging, no matter how it's done, and there's no place for it in the game.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I'd have been more annoyed by the giving out instructions
    Andrew

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Sandbagging is sandbagging, no matter how it's done, and there's no place for it in the game.
    Technically its not sandbagging - he's establishing a vanity handicap. I would have a bigger problem if he shot 65 and said he would NOT enter his score because he carried 15 clubs.

I'm with Sakuraba - the constant instructions would be the thing that bugs me the most. I would ask him to shut up or avoid playing with him for that reason alone.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    At the end of the round I actually saw bc entering this score in the computer. He was nice enough to give me a couple of putts so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. My question is, what should I do when playing with this guy the next time????
    He mentioned "bc". Surely that could not be BC Mist. He plays by the rules.. I say its a joke..
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    He mentioned "bc". Surely that could not be BC Mist. He plays by the rules.. I say its a joke..
    I think BC Mist might be on the handicap committee at the club, and entering the score on the player's behalf.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Gerry,the next time you play with him offer to pay him in advance for the golf lessons you are going to get during your round.That should shut him up quickly and if does not get the message after that well,let him go ahead.after a few times these guys get on everybodys nerves and they end up playing by themselfs.I know my wife and i got a dose of this last month at our club and this guy even took my putter out of my hands and told me it was too long and I should get it cut.Now you know me and Denyse were pretty easy going people but this gets on my nerves when a 25 hdcp.is giving advice on every shot you make.I hope you are a patient man.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    While playing a round yesterday one of the guys in our group wanted to keep giving instructions throughout the round and it was quite annoying. He also asked me to fix some marks on the green that weren't ball marks. I noticed that he had 15 clubs in his bag and he just told me where I could shove the extra club. The extra club was an old man's side saddle putter that he used for nine holes and then switched to his other putter for the other nine. He said he didn't use it for the front nine so he shouldn't be penalized. A few times throughout the round, as things were slow, he also hit a couple of extra shots. I think I saw him putt out twice during the round and that was only because he made a bomb. At the end of the round I actually saw bc entering this score in the computer. He was nice enough to give me a couple of putts so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. My question is, what should I do when playing with this guy the next time????
    Watch closely what he does. You might learn something.

Starting the round with 15 clubs in the bag and with the intention of using every darn one of them, the round was over, for handicapping purposes anyway, after the first ball was struck. The sick/stupid habit of experimenting when playing well is a terrible affliction to have and this experiment absolutely bombed.

Gerry's becoming a rules official has obviously gone to his head. The nerve of him calling me for playing with 15 clubs, not holing out, playing extra practice strokes, and after being asked, giving chipping advice, (to him, of course, not that that was even considered - anyone who has played with Gerry knows why we call him "Flip"), playing from a wrong place, asking him to repair some scuff marks on my putting line - which he did, but would he ever admit that? After banging a club on the ground he threw a 33-7 in my face. From a guy we call "Volcano," he calls me for displaying frustration?

To top it all off, Gerry reported me to the chairman of the Handicap Committee, when he saw me posting a previous score. Now, being the chairman of the Handicap Committee, I immediately modified my handicap to 1. Take that!! But the worst of the punishment has yet to come. I have to play with him again next week. I need a lawyer. Mike? Where are you?

BTW: My "practice round" brings my handicap posting rate down to 98%. Shame.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Marcos, if I was playing with you and your wife, I would point out your golf weaknesses so that she would leave you for me.

PS; I hope that the next post isn't referring to mine. Do we really have to go open about this?

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    I'm personally not sure why this attack was necessary about a fellow member? Why was it that this was not able to be solved through PM's to voice your concern, not making it public almost slighting his name. Maybe I'm missing something but to me it seems VERY unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    I'm personally not sure why this attack was necessary about a fellow member? Why was it that this was not able to be solved through PM's to voice your concern, not making it public almost slighting his name. Maybe I'm missing something but to me it seems VERY unnecessary.
    Dude, it's a hypothetical situation. It didn't really happen.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    My guess is it is just a joke, as per the smilies at the bottom of the post.

I have respect for BC Mist's posts on this site. I agree with smithers40, it was unnecessary.

Gbower an BC are friends, Gerry (gbower) was just "having a go" at BC.
    Andrew

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Well Gerry,you got us good.LOL.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Too funny. Gerry and Lyle, thanks for making my day a little better.

Baxter
    Thanks for wasting my reading time...I thought we had a good old fashion hodown goin on....

Insert smily here so no one gets mad....

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    haha as i said i didn't know if i was missing something and well done guys i bought it

Not a nice thread, adolescent.

I thought it was pretty funny, & BC clarified it completely 3 hours after the original post.
    Andrew

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I must say I enjoyed it all. What's "adolescent" about it???

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I love it!...
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Very entertaining.
    It actually got me to read through the etiquette section and review the "handicap" rules.
    Thank you gbower and BCmist.
    Back at it.

Thread Information