100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

Handicap on course using 'hybrid' set of tees

I was just looking over the planned yardages for a couple of the courses at the upcoming Citizen tournament. They are planning to use 'hybrid' sets of tees for most of the rounds. At Talon it looks like about 10 or 11 of the holes use the back tees while the remainder use the second from back. At Loch March, I believe 16 holes use the back tees.

How would one go about entering a score from one of these rounds for handicap? Can it be done?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I'm assuming there is actually only one set of tees on the tee box when this tournament is played, correct? I would think you could use the course and slope ratings of the majority of locations, which in this case would seem to be the back tees. Courses move tee blocks every day, and it is not unusual for them to put the back tees in a spot where the second from back tees were the day before on certain holes.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I was just looking over the planned yardages for a couple of the courses at the upcoming Citizen tournament. They are planning to use 'hybrid' sets of tees for most of the rounds. At Talon it looks like about 10 or 11 of the holes use the back tees while the remainder use the second from back. At Loch March, I believe 16 holes use the back tees.

How would one go about entering a score from one of these rounds for handicap? Can it be done?
    Two points: (1) The committee for The Citizen should determine a course rating for that particular day. In OVGA tournaments, particularly those that will use a differential that determines a players position of the Golf Quebec or OVGA ladder, a rating is always available.

(2) The handicap committee of a local golf club is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the course rating. This means that the playing difficulty of the course should be the same, over an extended period of time. For example: At Greensmere I gave our greenskeeper a page on which the pin locations are indicated. There are 9 positions for each green and so on any given day, on the white/black nines there will be only, for example, two "back left" pins, one of the front nine and one on the back nine. Obviously, each of the 9 positions will appear twice during a round.

Similarly, there is a pattern for tee marker positions. Now, my guess is that very few clubs do this, and we appreciate that we have the cooperation of our greens staff, in this regard. If the golf course has very long, extended tees, or deep greens, then the rating for the day can vary hugely if all markers are "up" or "back," as distance is 90% of a course's rating.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    The Citizen always publish a rating for the course on the pin sheet, same as OVGA.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Hmmm... So, there was no rating on the pin sheet. What should I do? Most of the tees used were Gold / back, but some were Blues. Do I go with the rating/slope for the back tees?

Thanks.

Bouche
    I would say yes. I put it in as a round from the back tees. There was only 3 or 4 holes on the blue tees and some of them were on the same tee deck as the gold.

Thread Information