So, it's early evening and you start your round on an empty golf course, by yourself.

You take this opportunity to hit some practice shots, but always keep track of the "real" ball in play. Let's say you hit on average 3 balls every shot. You keep score always with the first ball, and never compromise that. Would you enter your score in your handicap system (obviously not penalizing yourself for every "practice" shot you took)?

If anything, you're quite likely going to post a score better than your actual handicap, because you're basically using the golf course as a driving range in between the real shots. And most likely (but not always), will improve on your shots that you otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to practice.

I went and played like this on Saturday evening. My main goal was to practice hitting some additional clubs I've finished making so that I could compare one set to the other. I hit at least 2 to 5 balls on every shot (except putts - I didn't even pull the pin).

I'll admit, I would be very challenged given the listed circumstances to play strictly one ball. I sort of look at an empty course with all the time in the world as your chance to try a thing or two, that you wouldn't normally try. But do you post a score????? (Clearly the official answer is a resounding NO)