+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

Playing alone.... many balls.... to handicap or not to handicap

So, it's early evening and you start your round on an empty golf course, by yourself.

You take this opportunity to hit some practice shots, but always keep track of the "real" ball in play. Let's say you hit on average 3 balls every shot. You keep score always with the first ball, and never compromise that. Would you enter your score in your handicap system (obviously not penalizing yourself for every "practice" shot you took)?

If anything, you're quite likely going to post a score better than your actual handicap, because you're basically using the golf course as a driving range in between the real shots. And most likely (but not always), will improve on your shots that you otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to practice.

I went and played like this on Saturday evening. My main goal was to practice hitting some additional clubs I've finished making so that I could compare one set to the other. I hit at least 2 to 5 balls on every shot (except putts - I didn't even pull the pin).

I'll admit, I would be very challenged given the listed circumstances to play strictly one ball. I sort of look at an empty course with all the time in the world as your chance to try a thing or two, that you wouldn't normally try. But do you post a score????? (Clearly the official answer is a resounding NO)

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    not handicap... you are not allowed to practice while on the course unless its putting between holes or chipping on the tee box while waiting to tee off.

You can't post the scores for handicap.. even if you only play the first ball every time
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post
    My main goal was to practice hitting some additional clubs I've finished making so that I could compare one set to the other. I hit at least 2 to 5 balls on every shot (except putts - I didn't even pull the pin).
    Well, I think this part of your statement clearly shows that this was simply a practice round and should be recognized as such. But if you simply keep a handicap to track your own progress rather than for use in tournament play, then I would leave it up to you to make your own call.

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    I wouldn't include it - it isn't representative of your actual ability in a round with a single ball, so what would the handicap you end up with mean?

BigFlopper
    What if claim you can't see that well (too much beer perhaps) and feel you have to hit a provisional or three on almost every shot (except the green)?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If you are going to do that, just enter any score you like.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

BigFlopper
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    If you are going to do that, just enter any score you like.
    You can write what ever score you want at anytime, I'm suggesting if you declare, to yourself mind you, that the other shots are provisionals.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Fact is... they are not really provisionals. They are practice shots.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    why not declare it a practice round and do whtever you like? By posting it you are just screwing yourself over by giving more strokes away or getting less
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    This happens far more than I think people would let on. Just last night I was golfing with a guy who routinely comes out in the evenings, plays the first ball as the "ball in play", but routinely drops an extra ball here and there to try a different shot. I asked him if he'd put in a score, to which he said he would.

What I'm finding interesting is that you see strict opinions from people about "the rules of golf". Last night when I was playing by myself again, I only played one ball. On one hole, my first putt finished about 6 inches from the cup, and I didn't bother to hole-out. I just picked up the ball and carried on. So, to the rules gurus... do I X-out on that hole because I didn't, in fact, finish the hole? And for handicap purposes, apply a score on that hole based on my handicap?

I suppose what I'm trying to illustrate is, that you can draw a hard line in the sand, and say you're either following EVERY rule, or you're not.

To the rules gurus.... if you were the last to putt on a hole (not in a tournament, of course, but just your casual game), and the guy you're playing with is standing near the hole waiting to put the pin back in, and you putt it to 1" from the cup, and then you're playing partner taps the putt back at you (basically suggesting "it's good"), do you assess him a penalty and go and place the ball back where it was and hole out?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    not handicap... you are not allowed to practice while on the course unless its putting between holes or chipping on the tee box while waiting to tee off.

You can't post the scores for handicap.. even if you only play the first ball every time
    Actually you are not allowed to putt between holes unless you are playing match play. During stroke play that is not allowed.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Hacksaw, this guy is screwing himself, inevitably he will play somewhere with one ball and all of those "practice shots" that go off base will be in his repertoire. His handicap will likely be lower than he actually plays and in the end he will pay for entering these types of games w/ practice balls as well. I mean if you hit a bad shot with your real ball then hit a couple of practice and obviously try to correct the mistake you just made and succeed, great; BUT you will never get the same opportunity on the course with 1 ball because your next shot is always different.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Actually you are not allowed to putt between holes unless you are playing match play. During stroke play that is not allowed.
    In fact, Rule 7-2(a) allows putting and or chipping "on or near...the putting green of the hole last played." In local OVGA events, we have a local rule that prohibits this, however, in casual play, practice putting is not a breach of any rule. I also believe that in GAO and GQ events, practice putting is not allowed.

Hacksaw: Short putt concessions obviously happen and even though they are not in strict accordance with the rules, the players score is his "most likely" for handicapping purposes. The problem with concessions is that over time they tend to grow in length where they become missable putts and that's not right and IMO, hurtful to those who play tournament golf. The 3' putts are the hardest and most important putts and conceding these is damaging to one's game.

Lob Wedge HowardBrazee is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post

What I'm finding interesting is that you see strict opinions from people about "the rules of golf". Last night when I was playing by myself again, I only played one ball. On one hole, my first putt finished about 6 inches from the cup, and I didn't bother to hole-out. I just picked up the ball and carried on. So, to the rules gurus... do I X-out on that hole because I didn't, in fact, finish the hole? And for handicap purposes, apply a score on that hole based on my handicap?
    The USGA handicap rules include instructions for picking the ball up (which happens in match and Stableford play). You're supposed to put down your most likely score (although, as with all scores, ESC comes into play).

Thread Information