100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

wearing a cheating glove while playin

My friend (peanut butter steve) was playing a match against another friend and it was discovered that he was wearing a rick smith golf glove... obviously he loses the match but even with the glove he didn't play to his cap so his cap is going to go up. My questions, because he was cheating... he claims he doesn't he to enter the round... leaving his cap at 17.1 Better for me as I will get more strokes next time but still... anyway, does he still enter the round or not? Did he actually lose the match or was the assessed a stroke pen. per hole? How does it work? If it matters, his glove was discovered on the 18th hole.

I guess I should expect something like this from someone who puts peanut butter in holes on golf course :S
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think you need to find yourself some new friends....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Rounds not played according to the rules are not counted for handicapping purposes.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Doesn't matter. He cheats. I'd never play a match with him again. If you think he's worth your time on the course, just decline the match and play for your cap.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I think you need to find yourself some new friends....
    nah man Steve is awesome. Just cause he cheats at golf doessnt Mme him a bad person. I would never end a friendship because of golf... If you are willing to do that then he wasn't your true friend to begin with.

Dan if he had put the glove on for the last three holes? Then he would just take the max allowable on those holes?
    Edit: never mind he can't post the score

In mtchplay if you break a rule you only lose the hole but not the match correct?
    willy

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Rule 14-3 covers this and one section has:

Except as provided in the rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:
    a. That might assist him in making a stoke or in his play; or
    b. For the purpose of gauging or mearing distance or conditions that might affect his play; or
    c. That might assist him in gripping the club, exept that:
    (i) plain gloves may be worn;
    (ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used;
    (iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 14-3: Disqualification

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    nah man Steve is awesome. Just cause he cheats at golf doessnt Mme him a bad person. I would never end a friendship because of golf... If you are willing to do that then he wasn't your true friend to begin with.
    A true friend would never cheat, just to beat me. Perhaps we have different definitions of "friend."

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Well, one thing is clear: this Steve person is obviously a horrible individual for wearing a special glove for a round of golf. (please note sarcasm).

I'm also glad that everyone assumes he cheated intentionally, even though it wasn't stated in any of the posts. For all anyone knows, he did so without knowing it was illegal. Clearly though, we're in a position to judge him regardless.

Perhaps he wore the glove to lower his cap or to fix his swing. I wasn't there, I have no clue but i personally think if someone is going to stop talking to one of their friend over something like this takes golf way to seriously... i have some friends that cheat, some play by their own rules.. no skin off my back. Win or lose the match I shot what I shot, i'm not playing for money or for pride so it doesn't bug me.. Im only playing for my own cap so i only care about what I do.
    willy

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Here is my definition:

A friend is someone who helps you move. A good friend is someone who helps you move a body.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The inherent limitations of the unvarnished facts have never stood in the way of our speculation. Why should that be the case now?

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    ... Clearly though, we're in a position to judge him regardless.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I find it interesting that you entitled this thread "Wearing a cheating glove ..." That suggested to me that you had already concluded something about your friends intent.

Perhaps he wore the glove to lower his cap or to fix his swing.

Of course it is cheating, break any rule and its cheating. I was just replying to bcmist. Maybe his intention for cheating wasn't to beat anyone maybe it was for another reason. Or maybe he just wanted to play with it because he paid the $14 green fee and does what he wants. I love him.

Bouche
    You love him.....

BC you should move far, far, far away

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    You love him.....

BC you should move far, far, far away
    My wife loves me, (I think), my dogs love me (I know) and that's all I can handle right now. A menage a cinq is too complicated. I'm packing my bags, right now.

Or maybe he was referring to Steve. Phew!!

BG458
    I was there, he did not mean to do it. He got a hole in his glove and that was the only other glove he had in his bag. Once he found out it was not legal he took it off right away.

Lyle although you did help with my slice.. I do not love you I would LOVE to play a round of golf with you but that is about it
    willy

I think the title of the thread made myself and others believe he did it to obtain an advantage.

regardless of his intent it is still cheating no?
    willy

Yes but the comment I made regarding playing in a match with him again would not apply if he wasn't intending to cheat.

Putter PBSteve is on a distinguished road PBSteve's Avatar
    Hi All,

Long time lurker on this forum but first time poster so please be gentle on me.

So this brazen act of cheating yesterday was not as malicious as put forth above. During the first 9 holes of the match I was wearing my golf glove from last year that was full of holes. Numerous times my opponent, lets call him Aroon, asked me several time (very condescendingly) if I needed to borrow some money to buy a new glove.

At the turn I looked in my bag and found the Smith Glove and put it on. The next 5 holes I used the glove, high-5’ing my opponent (with my left hand) an unusual amount of times trying to see when he would notice that monstrosity on my hand. He did, we had an ‘argument’, we laughed and then I took it off for the rest of the round. I conceded that is was illegal and also conceded the round.

Long story short is that I was playing golf against one on my best friends on a beautiful day & after a terrible front nine (for both of us) wanted to mix things up. I sort of assumed that the ‘Glove’ was illegal but I also wasn’t trying to get away with anything.

To get back my previously unblemished Ottawa golf reputation I challenge the Great Silly Willy to a round of Golf sans ‘Glove’.

If I win Silly Willy won’t post on the forum for 2 weeks and if Depe wins I will never carry Peanut Butter in my golf bag again.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Hi All,

Long time lurker on this forum but first time poster so please be gentle on me.

So this brazen act of cheating yesterday was not as malicious as put forth above. During the first 9 holes of the match I was wearing my golf glove from last year that was full of holes. Numerous times my opponent, lets call him Aroon, asked me several time (very condescendingly) if I needed to borrow some money to buy a new glove.

At the turn I looked in my bag and found the Smith Glove and put it on. The next 5 holes I used the glove, high-5’ing my opponent (with my left hand) an unusual amount of times trying to see when he would notice that monstrosity on my hand. He did, we had an ‘argument’, we laughed and then I took it off for the rest of the round. I conceded that is was illegal and also conceded the round.

Long story short is that I was playing golf against one on my best friends on a beautiful day & after a terrible front nine (for both of us) wanted to mix things up. I sort of assumed that the ‘Glove’ was illegal but I also wasn’t trying to get away with anything.

To get back my previously unblemished Ottawa golf reputation I challenge the Great Silly Willy to a round of Golf sans ‘Glove’.

If I win Silly Willy won’t post on the forum for 2 weeks and if Depe wins I will never carry Peanut Butter in my golf bag again.
    Well, looks like steve has decided to post...

Just so you all know what you are dealing with... here is a thread posted about steve a few years ago

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=14115

STEVE YOUR RECORD IS HARDLY UNBLEMISHED

Steve I accept your challenge. My cap is 18.1 and I beleive your cap is 17.1 or something so we'll check the caps again the day before the match and I'll play you... OG two week ban vs. you not putting peanut butter in the holes at manderly anymore....

PS shall we both play with our rick smith gloves on?
    willy

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Well, looks like steve has decided to post...

Just so you all know what you are dealing with... here is a thread posted about steve a few years ago

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=14115

STEVE YOUR RECORD IS HARDLY UNBLEMISHED

Steve I accept your challenge. My cap is 18.1 and I beleive your cap is 17.1 or something so we'll check the caps again the day before the match and I'll play you... OG two week ban vs. you not putting peanut butter in the holes at manderly anymore....

PS shall we both play with our rick smith gloves on?
    I'll assume the Mr. Kilbank will enforce the ban should PB Steve prevail

Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road

Cheating is PURPOSEFUL!!

regardless of his intent it is still cheating no?
    My opinion is if he wore it knowing it was illegal it IS cheating. If he was unaware it was illegal or that it was the "rick smith" glove it was simply a mistake. He removed the glove as soon he was aware it was illegal. He simply made an error. I also assume he called the penalty on himself. If so how can anyone call him a cheater as a cheater is trying to do an illegal or dishonest act to gain an advantage. Does NOT seem that is the case here. You guys sound like my boss, the only person he would allow to make a mistake is himself and, you guessed it, he never makes any!!!

I'm sorry I did not see the post above by PBSteve... After reading that I would say that since he knew it was illegal then that changes my opinion. I guess I would need to know what he would have done had the glove not been noticed by his opponent and PB had been victorious. Well PB .... what say you on this?
    Last edited by dhacker1956; 06-22-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added reply

if dan wants to In force it he can but Steve won't beat me
    willy

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    if dan wants to In force it he can but Steve won't beat me
    We are all behind you and hoping you win Steve!!!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

As per forum policy the management at OG does not involve itself with bets made on the site. You two are on your own on this one.

As a member at Manderley, if I ever see peanut butter in a hole, I will be sure to have someone banned from the course, but that is another matter.

Putter Jamrap is on a distinguished road
    here i am, my first post on Ottawagolf, commenting on this victimless crime by PBSteve... I have just returned to work after having a three hour discussion with my golf therapist on pbs' actions on saturday.
    Steve threw the glove on on the tenth hole and was two over through 5 holes (one double bogie ), when i noticed the firm glove... the rest of the round was pure laughter. Note that PBSteve birdies his next hole with the glove off, but i definitely won by disqualification. Since i have been getting better at golf, we have been playing our own match play. First round of the year we were even, and then every match thereafter winner gives the loser a stroke the following round and we are going to see if this matches our handicap close to year's end.

My record against PBCS (the C stands for cheatin') is 2-4-1 this year.. although my handicap is 22.1 (compared to 17.1).

Note: the real crime was the 6:15 am tee time that the group of 6 of us went for on sat morning!!!

yes, steve, you are one of my best friends, but from reading this thread, you have dropped down the list under silly willy, ragin' dunbar, the guy that called you chris and edawg!

Thread Information