CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Smile Falling off the ball ?

I'm a less than average senior golfer who has managed to eliminate most of the wicked slices but still lose yards by falling off the ball when I use a driver causing a yard eating push. Any tips that I can take to the course ? Doesn't happen on the driving range but put me on the course and I push it. I've tried putting almost all my weight on my left foot and this helps sometimes. Would love to get on the green in reg once or twice a round

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    I have no business giving advice, but I have a similar problem. Tempo, tempo, tempo. The desire to hit the ball far takes over the brain, and the arms swing around too fast, and the wrists can't release in time, and the club face ends up open at impact.... I won't be offended if other members say I'm an idiot....

What fixes this for me? I think "every club is a wedge". My wedge swings are smooth and easy, no unnecessary hand action, no grip and rip feeling, just easy. I do that with my driver, and it goes beautifully. Maybe not as far as the 1 in 10 grip and rip that I get my hands through on, but no one ever laughed at me for being in the fairway 220 out...

I once had the opinion that competition with another golfer on the course was unnecessary, because I was competing already - with the course. This spring, I have a new conclusion - the course is just watching me, silent. The competitors are me, and my fear of failure. Sadly, my fear of failure is a 6'3" 225 lb heavyweight champion with no sense of humor.

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    It's everyone's desire to smash a driver so far you can barely see it land in the middle of the fairway. Unfortunately for most of us mortals (non-tour pros), that's very rarely going to happen, if ever. The really unfortunate part is that we sometimes can't convince ourselves of this fact of nature.

My suggestion is to concentrate on your tempo, especially with the driver. It is generally the hardest club to hit consistently, and adding that little extra usually ends up adding to mistakes. Maintaining the same tempo using the driver that you use with the other clubs will help minimize those pushes.

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    Good advice here. I have the same problem. The longer the club, the more I push. I just can't help thinking that the ball should be going further. Which, of course, is the last thing I should be thinking.

I've found concentrating on tempo to help some.

I'll have to give that "wedge thought" a try...
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Thread Information