CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Tiger's actually taking parental leave, taking 55% from EI and hopefully the rest top up by PGA

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    "ugly bag of mostly water"

Make it so, Number 1
    I don't get this, is this a starterk refereence? Cause I don't get it and I'm a huge trekie
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    I don't get this, is this a starterk refereence? Cause I don't get it and I'm a huge trekie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Soil
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Yes it is. Next Generation. An ethereal life form called the humans "ugly bag of mostly water" once communications were estblished.
    Data: "It is an accurate description of human physiology"

Thanks for the link Lobbie!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    No . Still find it hard to believe anyone thought he was in the first place.
    Me too, I could not believe what some folks were saying in other threads on this board. Time for those folks to eat some humble pie.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Well, shows I was wrong. But seriously, why on earth would he risk injuring his knee permanently for one major? Ya, I know he's a competitor, and he loves to win, but I always thought of him as smarter than that. To me, playing if his knee was as bad as it was was just plain idiotic. It's not like he was a hockey player in his first, and probably last, cup final. He's got years of his best golf ahead of him, and yet he made the decision to play on a serious injury? That, to me, is lunacy, and I would have expected a little more foresight from the man.
    That's what makes him the best, and what makes everyone else on the PGA Tour not understand the real meaning of commitment. Call it crazy if you want, but Tiger backed up his decision with the ultimate result.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    That's what makes him the best, and what makes everyone else on the PGA Tour not understand the real meaning of commitment. Call it crazy if you want, but Tiger backed up his decision with the ultimate result.
    There's certainly no doubt that it was a fantastic result. But it was also a result that cost him, at best, a shot at 3 other majors this year, and may have done long term damage. Seems more like obsession than commitment.

3 Iron Simonlap is on a distinguished road Simonlap's Avatar
    You can be sure that I will still watch alot of tournaments even with Tiger out. Sure he was really interesting to watch, and he kept you on the edge of your seat wondering which trick he was gonna pull out of his hat. But as far as I know all the guys in those tournaments are better than I am at this game and can impress me. So I will surely still keep a close watch on all tournaments.

There's certainly no doubt that it was a fantastic result. But it was also a result that cost him, at best, a shot at 3 other majors this year, and may have done long term damage. Seems more like obsession than commitment.
    TSN is reporting that the stress fractures were discovered two weeks ago, and that the ACL was ruptured just after the British Open last year during a run near his home in Orlando. During the span between then and now he played in 13 events, winning 8 (or was it 10, I can't recall what they had on the graphic), and not being out of the top 10 during that span.

He probably knew after the Masters this year that his season would be lost, so why not play in the US Open at a course where he has won consistently over the years, especially if the only concern was the ability to deal with the pain.

Bottom line is that it doesn't sound like he did any more damage to the ACL or the tibia because he played in the US Open (unless there is a difference between a rupture and a tear of the ACL). If there are any doctors out there who can clarify the difference that would be great.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

cost him, at best, a shot at 3 other majors this year
    There are only 2 more majors this year Jon.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    i think me meant a total of 3 majors but who knows with him
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

6 Iron Old Man is on a distinguished road
    I have a feeling it will be some "if Tiger was here and so on and so on." on the next tourny. He is very ,very good and is the third greatest golfer in history with a shot at moving up ,but it will be nice to see some shots of the young up and coming talent on the tour.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    i think me meant a total of 3 majors but who knows with him
    Nope, Dan was right. I had a brain fart. Shocking, right?

2 Iron Solo II guy is on a distinguished road
    I guess I'll just have to watch more women's golf

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I guess he was NOT faking...........

VJ is fighting his own injuries, but I dare not say that for fear that some will claim that he's using that as an excuse for his less than stellar play.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    The only way you will see VJ is if he picks up his game a notch or two and starts making cuts

This is too funny. He plays and reacts as though he's in pain, then he's a faker. Turns out he was actually injured when he played, and he's obsessed. Tiger can't win.

Athletes regularly push their bodies beyond the limit (ask the hockey players in this crowd), all the while believing that things won't get worse. Are they imprudent by doing so? Probably, in some cases. Are they obsessed? Not likely. High performance athletes have trained themselves to push out the pain and the doubt. A doctor's warning simply constitutes another hurdle to overcome.

... Seems more like obsession than commitment.

Do Boxers ever play through the pain?

Sand Wedge snowman8 is on a distinguished road snowman8's Avatar
    wow... The stress fractures are really nothing to worry about, but that ACL is trouble. Its gonna take some next level rehab to get that leg in back in shape.
    Cheers,

Bouche
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    No . Still find it hard to believe anyone thought he was in the first place.
    Me three! I knew he would be hurt for a while after th US open. I have never seen him in that much pain!

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    SAd, but true. This stack and tilt is not working out for him and his putting is sucking once again!

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    The only way you will see VJ is if he picks up his game a notch or two and starts making cuts

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    You guys should be working at TGC

Who is going to watch golf now that Tiger is gone for the season they asked?
    Uhhhhhhh, me and millions of other viewers. I watch golf whether Woods it playing a tournament or isn't. Makes no difference to me. There has been some exciting finishes this year minus Woods in the field.

Besides, it is not like he tees it up every week. He plays the minimum amount of tournaments required by the PGA. When was the last time he came and played our Open Championship? The last time he won, that is when and he has never been back since.

A "TRUE GOLF FAN" will watch golf on TV.

As for Phil winning, has he not won already this season?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    You guys should be working at TGC

Who is going to watch golf now that Tiger is gone for the season they asked?
    Uhhhhhhh, me and millions of other viewers. I watch golf whether Woods it playing a tournament or isn't. Makes no difference to me. There has been some exciting finishes this year minus Woods in the field.

Besides, it is not like he tees it up every week. He plays the minimum amount of tournaments required by the PGA. When was the last time he came and played our Open Championship? The last time he won, that is when and he has never been back since.

A "TRUE GOLF FAN" will watch golf on TV.

As for Phil winning, has he not won already this season?

You’re absolutely right but you are also wrong. Millions of true golf fans will still watch golf BUT you have to admit that the ratings will go down dramatically. It is proven that the ratting go sky high when Tiger is in the field. Take the USOpen at Wingfoot two years ago when Tiger did not make the cut. Ratting crashed dramatically on Saturday and Sunday. TGC are embellishing but they are right that ratings and the PGA Tour will suffer greatly during his absence.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Perhaps if Tiger and his handlers had been more forthcoming about the nature of his injury prior to the tournament none of this speculation would have happened....
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

He explained why he didn’t and even if he would have, nothing would have stopped the « Tiger bashing ». It’s like that in every sport. Some envoy watching when one athlete dominate and get all the attention and some will be negative on every aspect as possible towards what that same athlete does.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I guess he was NOT faking...........

I agree it may not be true. He may only pretend that he is injured so that he can take a disguised parental leave...

Seriously, he was injured and like I previously said, this only adds to his legend and the fact that I consider him the greatest player to have ever played the game...doesn't mean he's back on the top of my list but will give the guy the credit he deserves...

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    LOL! Remember everyone... if it were not for opposing viewpoints OttawaGolf would get pretty boring really fast.
    I still think TW has the greatest media people in the history of golf and that he acts things up big time .
    Doesn't mean he is not the greatest player of all time... he is...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Administrator MikeRaganold is on a distinguished road MikeRaganold's Avatar

The TIGER EFFECT on my family - very positive

This is my first time to post in a discussion - so please, go easy on me.

Here are some really positive observations from the past weekend (US Open):

1. for the first time ever, GOLF ON TV found its way into my family like never before.
    - my wife, the most unlikely audience, watched the US Open
    - she watch pieces and highlights from round 3 but was thrilled to watch the finishing holes of round 4
    - then she sat down and was thoroughly entertained for an entire 18 hole round of the playoffs and cheered with a whole lot of excitement - WOW!!!
    - perhaps there are a few more wives who did the same - probably not
    - will my wife take up the game - not on my watch
    - does she like the game - nope
    ... But she was entertained by the game - great job USGA
    (BTW - she has no idea what USGA)

2. for the first time ever, GOLF ON TV found its way into the lives of my two teenage kids, who BTW really enjoy their SIMS computer games, MSN, guitar hero but really like to go out and play the game of golf (not computer golf - the real thing), however, they would prefer to watch the Simpsons over watching golf on TV anytime - except this time (US Open)
    - the boy (14) hung in their for most of Monday's round but got bored that's because he watched so much golf for so many hours throughout round 3 & 4
    - my daughter (15) watched every shot of round 3 & 4 and raced home from school on Monday to catch live coverage of the playoff round
    - she wanted to be a part of history
    - she wanted to be a part of the game
    - perhaps there are a few more kids who did the same - probably yes
    - are my kids excited to play golf - you betcha
    - will my kids watch GOLF ON TV again - maybe , but definately when Tiger returns
    ... And they were entertained by the game - great job USGA
    (BTW - both kids know USGA)

Perhaps the question of who is or was or will be the greatest to have played the game will remain the foremost topic. However, until the records are broken, it is apparent TIGER WOODS is truely the best golfer today and proved it once again. "Today" being the operative word.

Will Tiger be missed? I dunno but one thing is for sure, the golf world and its fans are watching very closely...

As for all the positives from this past weekend, too many more to mention. But golf is alive and well and in my family. WOW what a great feeling. I sure hope golf touches your family in a similar way.

Now what's up with the weather... sheesh.

6 Iron Old Man is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    LOL! Remember everyone... if it were not for opposing viewpoints OttawaGolf would get pretty boring really fast.
    I still think TW has the greatest media people in the history of golf and that he acts things up big time .
    Doesn't mean he is not the greatest player of all time... he is...

I have to go with
    #1 Bobby Jones
    #2 Jack Nicklaus
    #3 Tiger Woods ...this would change in my mind if he would play more often to get his totals up in games played to show longevity and also justify his win to games played stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    I have to go with
    #1 Bobby Jones
    #2 Jack Nicklaus
    #3 Tiger Woods ...this would change in my mind if he would play more often to get his totals up in games played to show longevity and also justify his win to games played stats.
    “Show longevity” Funny statement since Bobby Jones played only a selected number of tournaments, never turned Pro and called it quits at a young age yet you consider him the best. Don’t forget that Jones won the “Grand Slam” where no Pro golfer had a chance to do since two of those tournaments were amateur tournaments.

USAmateur
    USOpen
    Brit Open Amateur
    The Open

Jack has won 18 majors and 2 US amateurs.
    Woods won 14 majors, 4 straight majors at a professional level (Record still standing), 3 straight USAmateurs (Record still standing) and 3 straight junior USAmateurs (Record still standing). All that in a 17 year stretch.

Thread Information