100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tiger's knee

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Well, speculation about his knee aside, I'm going to side with all who said that once his goals are reached, he's not playing anymore.

The smile that he had when his daughter was being handed back to her mom and reached out for "daddy" shows us what is his REAL priority in life.

Just my .02

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    There was a suggestion that due to the strain n his knee, Tiger in the near future might let his PGA card lapse and only compete in majors, WGCs and the odd invitational (his own, Bay Hill, Memorial). Does anyone think this is plausible,
    Not only is it plausible, it's probable. In addition to his focus on the majors, I think Tiger also has the all-time record for PGA tour wins in his sights, and once he's accomplished that, he'll pare down his schedule dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    what would the effect be on professional golf if it happens?
    Can't see anything positive coming out of it other than giving other tour players a chance of winning.
    It'll be a while until we see another golfer as dominant as Tiger.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I'm not convinced his knee is even that bad. Only ever seemed to hurt him when his ball was heading for the rough. I think he might have been trying to write his own story...give himself an excuse for a loss, and make sure a victory would never be forgotten.
    There was alot of pained looks on his face when he hit the fairway too... Maltby remarked on this, that you couldn't judge the result of the shot based on the reaction, because there were times that he was in the fairway when he reacted in pain.

Tiger has no reason, be it for monetary reasons or for reasons of prestige, to fake an injury. If this were part of his character, you'd have seen it far earlier in his career than 65 wins and 14 majors in. Think about it man.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    Well, speculation about his knee aside, I'm going to side with all who said that once his goals are reached, he's not playing anymore.
    I kind of agree with this. Earl did allude to this early on in Tiger's career, that he'd do things more important than golf. Certainly it remains to be seen, but it's unquestionable the influence that Earl had on Tiger, and continues to have after his death.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    I dont know its really hard to say if he was "actually" in pain. But I think the expression on his face the moment he snapps his knee upon impact truly shows he was in pain. On sunday and monday I think he was using some good pain killers because it didnt seem to bother him as much. I dont think he was ever threatening his career. He is in the process of healing and this will only delay his recovery. I believe that within the next month he will be fully recovered. Im glad that he didnt sit this US Open out. He made it exciting to watch and not only that he ended up winning. KUDOS to Tiger and this truly makes him the best golfer EVER!
    Ah the voice of reason!!! Thank you for this post. Athletes in other sports come back earlier than they should from injury all the time - they may be in some pain, but you often here that 'the doctors assure me I can't injure it further, and if I can put up with the pain there's no reason why you can't play'.

I don't understand people who question Tiger's injury, and how it hurt on some shots and not on others.

To me it was evident on Monday that he was trying not to put as much torque on the knee, and was smoothing more shots than normal.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I have no idea about the source but CNN reported that Tiger played against his doctors orders and that he has done more damage to his knee and won't be playing for quite a while. He will probably even miss the British Open. NNow that would be interesting if he misses the Open... lots of players will be doing cartwheels! LOL
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

BTW, Tiger did admit in his interview with Rich Learner on TGC last night that the knee work he had done after The Masters was more than just a 'clean out' as was reported at the time.

I don't see why Tiger wants to keep the details private, but if it were more serious, you can see how putting that sort of torque on a recently repaired knee would be painful at times.

Personal speculation here, but he may have not wanted to take pain killers for fear of losing his touch around the greens or for fear of losing his balance. Think about trying to play in the US Open on Tylenol 3's for example.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I have no idea about the source but CNN reported that Tiger played against his doctors orders and that he has done more damage to his knee and won't be playing for quite a while. He will probably even miss the British Open. NNow that would be interesting if he misses the Open... lots of players will be doing cartwheels! LOL
    Tiger said it himself in one of his press conferences, the one after the third or fourth round' that the doctors told him 'not to play golf.'
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Think about trying to play in the US Open on Tylenol 3's for example.
    Maybe we'll see him add a new sponsor to the rotation until the knee feels better on its own. I think the Jack Daniels logo will look real nice on the sleeve of his Sunday Red.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I would not be surprised and pretty sure we will still here more doubts about his injury even if he does miss the Open. My take on the why he played this past weekend even though it was probably against doctors orders is that the USOpem is the hardest test for him. It was a bonus that it was hosted at Tory Pines, a course he has dominated for years. He could not miss his chance. The Open is probably the least important major for TW. He will surely not play until the Open if he plays the Open at all.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

TOUCHE! In one of my other threads I said he was either doing a bit of acting or he was taking the chance of ruining his career just for this Major.

Now the truth comes out from his doctors. Someone on here stated that his doctors would have OK'd him to play. Apparently not.

As for Rocco and his back. He says that is no longer an issue since it was operated on. I have watched Rocco over the years and he looked like he was swinging pretty well and pain free over the weekend and the playoff.

Of course not one of us will ever know the entire story about "KNEEGATE" We can speculate all we want. Only the surgeons know and they won't be telling anyone a damn thing!

For those who keep saying Tiger is the Greatest Golfer of All Times. Give it a rest until he owns 19 Titles and has Jack's record of 2nd place finishes tied as well. Yes he is currently the best in the world, no doubt about that.

However I define "Greatest" as being the person or team that holds all the records, in this case Majors and career wins. Woods is not on that plateau yet.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

3 Wood Rocket Man is on a distinguished road Rocket Man's Avatar
    seems like you guys should direct your frustration at the TV coverage, not Tiger. It was the TV coverage that over analyzed his knee problem and kept ranting on and on about it. Its not his fault and he certainly can not control that. You can see that he was getting tired of talking about his knee as well.

for those of you who say he only winced from pain on a bad shot, clearly you didn't watch all of the coverage or you conveniently took a washroom break when he did hit the fairway and still felt the pain.

All Tiger did was wince when he felt pain. You'd wince too if you just have knee surgery 2 months ago and swung as fast as he does. Don't kid yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    TOUCHE! In one of my other threads I said he was either doing a bit of acting or he was taking the chance of ruining his career just for this Major.

Now the truth comes out from his doctors. Someone on here stated that his doctors would have OK'd him to play. Apparently not.

As for Rocco and his back. He says that is no longer an issue since it was operated on. I have watched Rocco over the years and he looked like he was swinging pretty well and pain free over the weekend and the playoff.

Of course not one of us will ever know the entire story about "KNEEGATE" We can speculate all we want. Only the surgeons know and they won't be telling anyone a damn thing!

For those who keep saying Tiger is the Greatest Golfer of All Times. Give it a rest until he owns 19 Titles and has Jack's record of 2nd place finishes tied as well. Yes he is currently the best in the world, no doubt about that.

However I define "Greatest" as being the person or team that holds all the records, in this case Majors and career wins. Woods is not on that plateau yet.
    IMO he is. If Tiger dies today, he should be considered the greatest player since for his age, he has all the records. He owns more total wins and majors then anybody before him at the same age. Nonetheless, this debate is one that will never end even if or when he gets to 19+ majors and 82+ total wins.

Mike

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    seems like you guys should direct your frustration at the TV coverage, not Tiger. It was the TV coverage that over analyzed his knee problem and kept ranting on and on about it. Its not his fault and he certainly can not control that. You can see that he was getting tired of talking about his knee as well.

for those of you who say he only winced from pain on a bad shot, clearly you didn't watch all of the coverage or you conveniently took a washroom break when he did hit the fairway and still felt the pain.

All Tiger did was wince when he felt pain. You'd wince too if you just have knee surgery 2 months ago and swung as fast as he does. Don't kid yourself.
    Ya I winced in pain when I started golfing 5 weeks after my double by pass! Clearly the TV coverage did not show that Nor did I get any sympathy from my one playing partner because I was still blowing it by him off the tee
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Rick, unfortunately many of today's golfers were not around or did not follow golf during Jack's hayday. I know I personally did not watch golf back then so I would not be able to compare him and Tiger. For many young or new golfers, Tiger has defined the game. Is it true, I doubt it but he sure has added an additional demension. Most of us have to go by what the sports analysts say and what I am hearing from just about everyone is that Tiger is the best in the world right now, Tiger would have been as good as Jack was in his prime and in the final analysis when his career is over will be called the best that ever lived.

Even though I like Tiger and root for him in every tournament he enters (although no biggie if he doesn't win since it has no effect on my little life) I am a believer that Jack was the best of his era and Tiger is the best of his era. I will never go as far as to say he was the best ever in golf cause we just can't be sure how good Jack would have been in today's fields, with today's course designs and pristine course conditions and above all the current golf technology.

As in any sport, it will be 'debated/argued' to hell and back with neither players camp being able to sway the other

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Not that finishing second in a PGA Tour event is anything to be ashamed of, but isn't the whole point of competitive sports to Win? If Tiger gets to 19 majors and 83 wins, is anybody really going to use not winning as an excuse for not naming him the best golfer ever.

Ya I winced in pain when I started golfing 5 weeks after my double by pass! Clearly the TV coverage did not show that Nor did I get any sympathy from my one playing partner because I was still blowing it by him off the tee
    You may not have gotten any sympathy, but I'm sure there weren't people questioning your integrity/motives when you shows a little pain.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Don't get me wrong. I will always admit that Tiger is by far the best player to have played the game. His long game is slightly above the field but his putting, especially under pressure, is just not human. However, I've been a Tiger's fan in the past but changed my mind for similar reasons. A few years back, when he won at Bethpage, all the talks were about his wrist. I believe he injured his wrist in the first rounds trying to get the ball out of the rough. At one point, he hit a perfect drive right down to the middle, at 300yds+. He got off the teeoff and just when he got in front of his opponent, he started to shake his hand in pain. From that point on, I realized that even though this guy already had a competitive edge, he was playing a dirty psychological game as well. If you suffer, take the pain or stay home. That's the reason why, even though I think he wasn't 100% (which adds to his remarkable victory over a very strong field), I believe that Tiger was also "faking". Now let's discuss whether when a players misses the fairway by 40 yds, whether there should be a dropping area in the nasty rough to be fair to others who missed the fairway by one yard...

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Now that was funny. Laughter always makes me feel better.

My only point was that none of us have an specific knowledge as to the extent of his knee injury, and so, absent evidence to the contrary (of which there appears to be none), I choose to believe Tiger's claim that his knee bothered him. Some will choose to not believe him. That is their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    OK OK, if it makes to feel any better I truly believe that Tiger Woods won the U.S. Open on a horribly injured knee at the possible risk of his entire career. The man is a true American hero, the son of a Green Beret, and clearly should be given the Congressional Medal of Honor

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong. I think the knee bothered Tiger. I also think he played it up pretty good.
    In general, I agree with Big Easy
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

We have no Idea if Tiger is embellishing the pain and we will never know but I can add one thing. I played my share of competitive hockey back in the day. I was small and a first line scorer so I got my share of injuries being roughed up here and there. I can recall some major hits where the pain kicked in only when I got to the bench a few seconds later. I can believe the pain shouts in after with a bit of delay since I have experienced it my self.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    word is that Tiger may need more surgery and be out the rest of the year.

http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/2008/06/17...ery-for-woods/
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

If I swung as fast as he did, I would wince from the pain even without having knee surgery !!!

5 Wood nolrac2 is on a distinguished road

tiger performs

Come on..of course tiger's knee hurt and of course he played it up....this is his business to be a legend etc etc. You know he's asked "how's the knee Tiger" and gives a little smile and says something like "i guess we will have to see" like this an injury that we can't know how serious it might be because if Rocco knew he would start stuffing everything to 2 foot birdie range or maybe he was worried Rocco's caddie would trip him or something. Let's face it Tiger is no more or less interesting than Jack Nicklaus who also grew slowly into his very profitable prima donna position and was very calculated about the process. That being said he is amazing to watch and in a class by himself because he is "there" so often (not always) which is what made Nicklaus special as well. It would be great to have someone be there with him a little more regularly (a la Watson/Nicklaus ..Nicklaus/ Palmer or even more so) for the next ten years and we would really see some incredible stuff...I mean a real rivalry with a little dislike until they both become seniors.
    tap in

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    word is that Tiger may need more surgery and be out the rest of the year.

http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/2008/06/17...ery-for-woods/
    Thats what the news reported this morning, that he may need reconstructive surgery and he will probably be out for the remainder of the year. Tour players are doing cartwheels now

CNN Breaking News..... (I can't believe that this was news worthy for a non sports channel and they actually broke into an important news item on the floods in Iowa!)

Tiger Woods will miss the remainder of the 2008 PGA Golf season, according to the AP.

His website has been updated saying he will have reconstructive surgery and he also has a double stress fracture of the left tibia.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Tiger can swing at 70% on a bad knee and still beat up on people.

My guess is he will rest until the Open and shut it down after that. The PGA champ. is not that big of a deal for him and he certainly doesn't need the $$ from FedEx cup run.

He still has plenty of time to go for any records...

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Well, that seems to be pretty conclusive. The man had a serious injury. No faking that, and given the nature of that injury, wincing in pain could be expected without any need for embelishment.

I wonder how long it will take some to begin speculating negatively on the need to address this injury or its seriousness?

His website has been updated saying he will have reconstructive surgery and he also has a double stress fracture of the left tibia.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Well, that seems to be pretty conclusive. The man had a serious injury. No faking that, and given the nature of that injury, wincing in pain could be expected without any need for embelishment.

I wonder how long it will take some to begin speculating negatively on the need to address this injury or its seriousness?
    I'm guessing less than an hour

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Wink Dinner Time

Pass the Crow please...

Thread Information