100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tiger's knee

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

Tiger's knee

I saw a thread on this in another forum and thought I'd see what people thought here. There was a suggestion that due to the strain n his knee, Tiger in the near future might let his PGA card lapse and only compete in majors, WGCs and the odd invitational (his own, Bay Hill, Memorial). Does anyone think this is plausible, what would the effect be on professional golf if it happens?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I saw a thread on this in another forum and thought I'd see what people thought here. There was a suggestion that due to the strain n his knee, Tiger in the near future might let his PGA card lapse and only compete in majors, WGCs and the odd invitational (his own, Bay Hill, Memorial). Does anyone think this is plausible, what would the effect be on professional golf if it happens?
    I think it is completely possible. He doesn't play much more than that as it is. He plays what, 13 or 14 tournaments a year? I don't think it will hurt golf at all. Golf does just fine without him in the majority of Tournaments in a year. I love to watch Tiger and wish he was playing as much as VJ and the likes, but it does make the ones he enters much more exciting for those of us who like him

I don't ever see him on the Champions tour.... when he can no longer compete on the PGA, I believe he will hangem up. I am even of the opinion that he will retire long before he loses that special touch.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'm not convinced his knee is even that bad. Only ever seemed to hurt him when his ball was heading for the rough. I think he might have been trying to write his own story...give himself an excuse for a loss, and make sure a victory would never be forgotten.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I can't find my thread from two years ago---I said then don't be surprised that once he has completed his goals he will retire. Right now he has a mission and he is enjoying it---but once the goals have been reached where is the incentive---it sure isn't the money. Watching him today with his daughter---I think that's his next goal.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    he's stated before that golf is what i do, not who i am. I'd expect him to play another 5-10 years then hang it up.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    he's stated before that golf is what i do, not who i am. I'd expect him to play another 5-10 years then hang it up.
    I agree. I think he'll reach his goals and then hang the clubs up. I do however see him entering the majors at times after that. As stated above, he does not play a lot as it is, and this will just diminish the longer his career goes on, and his goals are achieved. Some may argue that he is not the best ever until he gets those 18 majors. It is only a metter of time before that happens.. I think we all know that.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    14 majors @ the age of 32. Most golfers are just entering their prime at that age.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I'm not convinced his knee is even that bad. Only ever seemed to hurt him when his ball was heading for the rough. I think he might have been trying to write his own story...give himself an excuse for a loss, and make sure a victory would never be forgotten.
    100% agree with you. In fact, even a few friends who are HUGE Tiger fans made the same comment. It only seemed to bug him when he was missing fairways.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmm I mentioned that in another thread and was promptly called a "TIGER HATER"

However, I agree with your statement. Funny that bad peg did not seem to bother him after he striped one dead centre on the playoff hole.

I talked to two doctors at the course yesterday and both said "If that knee is that sore then he should not be playing as he is risking his career"

More than one member seemed to think he was trying to win an Emmy

An not I am not a TIGER HATER.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Bouche
    I dont know its really hard to say if he was "actually" in pain. But I think the expression on his face the moment he snapps his knee upon impact truly shows he was in pain. On sunday and monday I think he was using some good pain killers because it didnt seem to bother him as much. I dont think he was ever threatening his career. He is in the process of healing and this will only delay his recovery. I believe that within the next month he will be fully recovered. Im glad that he didnt sit this US Open out. He made it exciting to watch and not only that he ended up winning. KUDOS to Tiger and this truly makes him the best golfer EVER!

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I agree with jonf and edmontongolfer. If his knee was that bad, he wouldn't be swinging the ball at 129 miles/hour. The torque generated by his swing on his left knee is just too much to play without a perfectly healed knee. His knee seemed to be pretty good when he celebrated on the 18th hole on Sunday. Remember that apparently the last time he injured his knee was while celebrating... As for painkillers, since Tiger is one of the first few who agreed with the Commissioner about an anti-drug program on the PGA Tour. As most of you may know, painkillers are forbidden in most of the competitive sports, even if you take them as prescribed by a physician.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    I believe he was taking anti-inflamatories not pain killers

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    If Tiger says his knee hurts, I choose to believe him. He has no history of fabricating stories for his own self-aggrandizement. Many of us have played through pain. You swing, you wince, and you go on. There's no reason to think that Tiger is any different. To the contrary, a focused, high-performance athlete like him is much more likely to play through pain than most of us recreational golfers.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Tiger took a standard Advil on Monday. Plus he was playing with a veteran who I'm sure would have told him to stop the shennanigans if he had put on an Academy Award winning performance like he did on the first two holes on Sunday....
    I love Tiger, but he is definitely a drama queen
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I don't see what he has to gain by faking or really playing up the pain. If someone finds out that it actually happened then it's a hit to his reputation. He was off for what, 9 weeks, and I can't imagine that even Tiger feels enough expectation from others to win the US Open that he'd ham up the knee pain as an excuse in case he can't pull it off. Wouldn't the surgery, and the lack of competitive play for 9 weeks be enough?

I think the commentators really poured gasoline on any fire here by not letting us forget for one moment that his knee hurts. The slow-mo replays trying to see where it hurt through clothes were one thing, but even when he wasn't wincing in pain they were still bringing it up. I'm sure there are others who wince from time to time on the course, but unlike Tiger they don't have every single shot televised during the round.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Maybe he watched too much of the Euro where guys always appear to have a career-ending injury and all the sudden, they are on their feet and ready to play!!!

There's no evidence of that.

Would you accept a medical certificate or would that be suspect as well?

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    Maybe he watched too much of the Euro where guys always appear to have a career-ending injury and all the sudden, they are on their feet and ready to play!!!

I'd have accepted a full medical report on the surgery and current problem... which Tiger's handlers have conveniently refused to provide.
    Tiger's always been one of those guys who shows his emotions a little too much. Perhaps it has to do with the fact he's been playing for the camera since he was 2 years old. If he hits out of a bunker into a 5 mph wind and a grain of sand gets in his eye he reacts like someone shot him from the nearby grassy knoll...
    He's getting older... things start to hurt... time to suck it up...
    Rocco kills his back every time he makes a swing but he sucks it up every time.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Let me guess: there was a shooter on the grassy knoll as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Let me guess: there was a shooter on the grassy knoll as well.

LOL! Anyway, I think we both agree he is the greatest golfer of all time

I wouldn't produce a medical certificate either. It's no one else's business. Besides, those who don't believe him now, won't accept a certificate either. After all, they'd claim that could be faked as well. As for the absence of a report being "convenient", it's only convenient for those who choose to disbelieve Tiger Woods' claim that his knee is problematic. Otherwise, their speculation might evaporate into thin air, like the "facts" on which it is based.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I'd have accepted a full medical report on the surgery and current problem... which Tiger's handlers have conveniently refused to provide.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Whoever plays mpare for a few pennies shouldn't believe he has a bad ankle. I've never believed it. It's just his age that's making him ride every round.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I wouldn't produce a medical certificate either. It's no one else's business. Besides, those who don't believe him now, won't accept a certificate either. After all, they'd claim that could be faked as well. As for the absence of a report being "convenient", it's only convenient for those who choose to disbelieve Tiger Woods' claim that his knee is problematic. Otherwise, their speculation might evaporate into thin air, like the "facts" on which it is based.
    OK OK, if it makes to feel any better I truly believe that Tiger Woods won the U.S. Open on a horribly injured knee at the possible risk of his entire career. The man is a true American hero, the son of a Green Beret, and clearly should be given the Congressional Medal of Honor

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Whoever plays mpare for a few pennies shouldn't believe he has a bad ankle. I've never believed it. It's just his age that's making him ride every round.
    Are you calling Mike a Drama Queen?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post

Touche!!!!

As for Tiger, if you noticed, most of the grimaces came when he was really trying to put that extra oomph into his swing. When he swung within himself and played that nice little cut he had, everything was fine. And like most others said, why fake it??? If it turns out he was, his reputation would be ruined.

And for the record, when I've hit out of a bunker into a headwind and get sand in my eyes, I react like I was shot as well. That really does bother you.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'm with Johnston on this, people are reading way too much into this knee thing. WHO CARES!! The guy won and will keep on winning. Just enjoy watching it.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnyway, he's had three surgeries on his left knee now (or do some of you guys disbelieve that too ). Considering he's only 32 it seems like it is, or at least is developing into, a chronic type of injury. I think he'll be cutting way back on his schedule in future years, and I think the fact that he won a US Open after a 9 week layoff probably proved to himself that he doesn't need the tour to keep sharp for majors. He might not do it until he hits 19, but it'll happen pretty soon I think.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I think it is completely possible. He doesn't play much more than that as it is. He plays what, 13 or 14 tournaments a year? I don't think it will hurt golf at all. Golf does just fine without him in the majority of Tournaments in a year. I love to watch Tiger and wish he was playing as much as VJ and the likes, but it does make the ones he enters much more exciting for those of us who like him

I don't ever see him on the Champions tour.... when he can no longer compete on the PGA, I believe he will hangem up. I am even of the opinion that he will retire long before he loses that special touch.
    This is my opinion also. He will play less and less and when he reaches his goal of X number of majors and total wins, he will retire. He is too proud to play until he can no longer compete. My guess is that he will retire within the next ten years and not a year later.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I also thought that until I noticed on a couple of shots that he hit perfect like the drive on 18 yesterday and his approach short on 18 Saturday that resulted in his eagle. He was in pain and couldn’t stand straight to watch the shot all the way to the hole. I don’t think the knee was jeopardized but IMO he was in pain. He seemed better yesterday though. He didn’t use the pain on most struggling shots yesterday.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    It made me sick to hear how tough Tiger was and that there was not a tougher athlete out there. Is the Golf Channel out of their freakin minds??? Football players do this week in and week out, how about hockey players in the playoffs? Recovering from knee surgery and wincing when hitting a golf ball does not constitute being the toughest athlete on the planet. I am not saying that he was not in a lot of pain but give me a break! Its golf, no contact, its hitting a ball every 4 minutes or so and most of the iron shots never saw him flinch, it was motstly on the drives. He is tough but let's not get crazy and compare him to the real conact sport athletes that by the time they are Tiger's age walk like they are 50 years old. I guess Brett Favre is not so tough after all. It took Tiger 19 holes to beat a 45 yr old qualifier and for that the GC touted him as the toughest athlete on the planet, GIVE ME A BREAK!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information