+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge stebed is on a distinguished road

Best public courses?

headed to toronto for a weekend and will have time to play two courses. would like to play some really nice courses, ive only played lionhead legends in the toronto area. from what ive read some of the best public courses not too far from the city are:

angus glen
    wooden sticks
    copper creek
    osprey valley

and up north a couple hours:

bigwin
    deerhurst
    taboo
    the rock

ideally we'd like to stay close to the city if possible unless going north means much better courses, what you reccomend for two rounds? doesn't have to be from that list, feel free to suggest anything. thanks!

6 Iron duffer8 is on a distinguished road
    Toronto, like Ottawa, has some nice courses. Milton and Markham areas have some great courses. But if you're open to going north, I'd say it's no contest...Bigwin and Deerhurst (Highlands, that is). And if you and the wallet are up to it, The Rock at sunrise on day 1, then Deerhurst at twilight with a full day and maybe 36 devoted to Bigwin. I suck at this game but have played it coast to coast in Canada and those are by far my favorite public courses. I'd just add one thing... TAKE ME WITH YOU!!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Glen Abbey is a public course. Mind you, it is a very expensive public course.

we're thinking of playing osprey heathlands because its the 'cheapest' of the lot and then trying to decide between glenn abbey or angus glenn twilight. which is better?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I don't know which one is better, but keep in mind that the Canadian Open is being held at Glen Abbey this year at the end of July.

6 Iron duffer8 is on a distinguished road
    Go for Angus Glen, North course. The service is top notch. Glen Abbey should be turned over to condo developers IMHO.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    check out Lionhead..expensive but very nice
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer8 View Post
    Go for Angus Glen, North course. The service is top notch. Glen Abbey should be turned over to condo developers IMHO.
    north course is better than south course? whats wrong with glen abey? it always ranks in the top 15 in the scoregolf top 100 in canada list, how could it be that bad??

Putter tappin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by stebed View Post
    north course is better than south course? whats wrong with glen abey? it always ranks in the top 15 in the scoregolf top 100 in canada list, how could it be that bad??
    Glen Abbey is a solid course, but overpriced and rather plain to play. AG North is much better than AG South.

I think playing Osprey Valley Heathlands and Hoot would be your best bet. Will cost about $180 total (w/cart) to play the two courses on the same day about 1 hr North of the City. I would rather play the Hoot than Glen Abbey or Angus Glen.

Nobody leaves this place dissappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by tappin View Post
    Glen Abbey is a solid course, but overpriced and rather plain to play. AG North is much better than AG South.

I think playing Osprey Valley Heathlands and Hoot would be your best bet. Will cost about $180 total (w/cart) to play the two courses on the same day about 1 hr North of the City. I would rather play the Hoot than Glen Abbey or Angus Glen.

cool thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tappin View Post

thanks for the tips by the way, we played heathlands and the front nine of hoot, what a great place.. three four star courses in one place, pretty special. strange how dead it was though, there was hardly anyone on the courses.. not that i'm complaining but i can't see how they're making much money, there's no real estate, and they were probably at less than half capacity on a beautiful saturday morning.

Putter tappin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by stebed View Post
    thanks for the tips by the way, we played heathlands and the front nine of hoot, what a great place.. three four star courses in one place, pretty special. strange how dead it was though, there was hardly anyone on the courses.. not that i'm complaining but i can't see how they're making much money, there's no real estate, and they were probably at less than half capacity on a beautiful saturday morning.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

The rumour is that the owner is wealthy and the course just makes enough to cover the expenses, which he is fine with.

Also a rumour that they are going to build more courses and a hotel/resort.

For years there has been talk that Clublink is trying to buy the courses.

The problem facing the course is that it is 1-1.5 hours from Toronto and many people don't want to make the drive.

I go once or twice a year and play 45+ holes

Thread Information